Xbox Xbox Going Multiplatform?

Cratering? They're in a distant third place, but sales are following the same trends proportionally to the other two major consoles.
global-console-sales-by-month-9th-gen-png.1028075

Game Pass unofficially hit 30m subscribers by September 2023 according to a leak (Microsoft downplayed this figure without denying it). Since the 25 million figure was announced in January 2022, agreed, growth during that period wasn't great, but COVID made everything weird. Comparatively, despite excellent console sales, Playstation Plus subscribers went down during that same period. The stranger thing is that Phil Spencer implied that Xbox would get out of the gaming business if that figure didn't hit 110m by 2030, when there is no chance in hell of that happening, but that comment was made during the FTC case hearing four months ago, so it's insincere throwaway posturing. I don't think anyone knows what their real target or timetable is.

Obviously Microsoft isn't leaving the gaming business.
Despite the PS5 having nearly double the consumer base, only one full exclusive in 2023 (Marvel's Spider-Man 2, #4) outsold Microsoft's top exclusive in the same year (Starfield, #11). And that's what they sell consoles-- at a tiny profit margin or even at a loss-- to do: to sell games. Meanwhile, with the acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, that means Microsoft effectively published the #2, #6, #7, #11, and #20 bestsellers on the Top 20. Nintendo published #5, #12, and #19. Sony only published the #4 & #15. But Sony probably enjoyed the largest profit margin because they would have sold the most overall games thanks to so many multiplatform bestsellers dominating the chart, and Sony enjoying the largest customer base for those titles. I haven't reviewed end of year financial reports.

If they take the full measure of getting out of the hardware business, becoming merely a software & subscription vendor, then what incentive does Sony have to pay some stiff revenue-sharing fee to give their users access to Game Pass? They have already transformed Playstation Plus into a competitor. It's inferior, but highly similar. Most of what it lacks is Microsoft published titles, the EA partnership, and the Day 1 release benefit. If Microsoft is willing to sell their top games on the Playstation, then I'd assume Sony would negotiate each of those contracts a la carte, or at least per developer under the Microsoft umbrella. No need to allow Game Pass to elbow into PS+'s subscription revenues.

Because otherwise, what does Microsoft do? Do they threaten to withhold their bestselling franchises in order to force Sony to put Game Pass on the Playstation? Without a console base, what if Sony says no? Sounds like a great way to kill your IP. Sony would hold all the cards. Because I suspect most gamers who play multiplatform megafranchises like Call of Duty are still couch-and-controller console gamers. Does Microsoft really think this would drive those gamers to buy PCs to play one game? I think it would create a better opportunity for Sony to develop a competitor IP to supplant CoD because in that vacuum there would immediately be a very large appetite for it with no competing alternative. And Microsoft already signed the Call of Duty contract to seal the AB acquisition, anyway, so I'm not sure how the terms of that contract would affect such a strategy.
Maybe cratering is a bit of an exaggeration. They are dipping below Xbox one sales. Basically from Xbox 360 to Xbox Series consoles they are losing more and more console players. That's not a trend you want to see continue. Nadella was emailing Phil back in 2021 asking about the status of their console sales and not wanting to get to far behind. Hardware sales have sunk even lower since then dropping below the Xbox one. Sony on the other hand has surpassed the PS4 now and well we all know how well Nintendo is doing. They've already projected another drop in console sales YOY for next quarter as well.

I think Game pass on other systems wont happen at all. Especially with all the data both companies now have on sub services and it hurts software sales. Sony isn't going to want to hurt their own software sales with GP on their system. I also don't see Xbox leaving the hardware business at least not yet. I honestly don't know what MS's strategy is because they have horrible communication and seem to change plans every other minute. There's even rumors that changes are coming to GP.

As far as negotiating with Sony on their games coming to that system. I remember an email or something like that from Phil stating that he doesn't wan to negotiate the IPs one by one anymore and wants to use their massive library to negotiate the whole thing and get them a better deal across the board.

Insane to me that Phil is going to wait until next week to talk about this. The rumor is someone at Xbox got pissed about this move and leaked the whole thing in order to case all this backlash and try to stop it.

Maybe cratering is a bit of an exaggeration. They are dipping below Xbox one sales. Basically from Xbox 360 to Xbox Series consoles they are losing more and more console players. That's not a trend you want to see continue.
Perhaps. I suspect part of this is the same reason the substantial rasterization advantage of the Xbox Series X over the PS5 has failed to impress the market. We're in an era of diminishing returns on graphics. I've noticed more and more console players on both platforms are lingering with their previous gen console, not upgrading. Right now the PS5 has sold 44.9% as many total units as the PS4. The Xbox Series has sold 47.0% as many units as the Xbox One. Once again, they're trending proportionally.

Maybe cratering is a bit of an exaggeration. They are dipping below Xbox one sales. Basically from Xbox 360 to Xbox Series consoles they are losing more and more console players. That's not a trend you want to see continue. Nadella was emailing Phil back in 2021 asking about the status of their console sales and not wanting to get to far behind. Hardware sales have sunk even lower since then dropping below the Xbox one. Sony on the other hand has surpassed the PS4 now and well we all know how well Nintendo is doing. They've already projected another drop in console sales YOY for next quarter as well.

I think Game pass on other systems wont happen at all. Especially with all the data both companies now have on sub services and it hurts software sales. Sony isn't going to want to hurt their own software sales with GP on their system. I also don't see Xbox leaving the hardware business at least not yet. I honestly don't know what MS's strategy is because they have horrible communication and seem to change plans every other minute. There's even rumors that changes are coming to GP.

As far as negotiating with Sony on their games coming to that system. I remember an email or something like that from Phil stating that he doesn't wan to negotiate the IPs one by one anymore and wants to use their massive library to negotiate the whole thing and get them a better deal across the board.

Insane to me that Phil is going to wait until next week to talk about this. The rumor is someone at Xbox got pissed about this move and leaked the whole thing in order to case all this backlash and try to stop it.
They probably see the writing on the wall with way the series consoles are selling compared to the one model which was a disaster of bad pr.
Also here in the Netherlands quite a few people I know switched from Xbox 360 to ps4 after my country was put In tier 2 for the Xbox one launch and I'm pretty confident to say that many gamers from the tier 2 countries did the same thing.
And then you have the rumors about about stores that are going to stop selling physical xbox games and the negativity starts piling up.

The Series X has been a massive flop, even Xbox fans have largely ignored it.

Perhaps. I suspect part of this is the same reason the substantial rasterization advantage of the Xbox Series X over the PS5 has failed to impress the market. We're in an era of diminishing returns on graphics. I've noticed more and more console players on both platforms are lingering with their previous gen console, not upgrading. Right now the PS5 has sold 44.9% as many total units as the PS4. The Xbox Series has sold 47.0% as many units as the Xbox One. Once again, they're trending proportionally.

I agree with graphics. My PS5 vs my gaming PC isn't much different other than FPS.

As far as how they are trending you're correct but I expect the difference to grow larger and larger. It was just this last year that Xbox dipped below Xbox one and it was just last year that PS5 got ahead of PS4. MS already projected consoles sales will continue to decline YOY. I'm not sure what Sony is projecting yet. So while right now they are proportional I suspect that wont be the case when it's all said and done and I'm sure MS can see that on their end as well.

I'm not sure if going 3rd party is the move but I don't know what else they can do. Playstation did save Fallout 76 so maybe Playstation can help keep them making money while they get their hardware and software sales back on track.

There's rumors that changes are coming to GP to but I don't really believe that. It is weird though that we are in February and they've yet to put a single activision game on game pass.

Now rumours they’re releasing 2 new consoles in 2026, a traditional one and basically a Microsoft switch.

Yes people are running with these rumors with the thought they are leaving the hardware space. That is not happening. I suspect they will always stay in the hardware space in some way shape or form. Going multiplat though is what is most likely happening for at least some games.

There's rumors that changes are coming to GP to but I don't really believe that. It is weird though that we are in February and they've yet to put a single activision game on game pass.
I read a Game Rant article on this just yesterday actually but all grapevine ATM. Will find and throw up below... e/ Here is full read. Excerpted:

An established leaker claims that the Call of Duty series may end up skipping Xbox Game Pass as part of Microsoft's major strategic shift.

That's according to long-time Microsoft leaker Timdog, who said he "heard" that Call of Duty won't be coming to Xbox Game Pass during the latest episode of the Gamers Council podcast. The insider sarcastically labeled that move as one of Microsoft's "brilliant ideas" made as part of the company's rumored pivot to third-party publishing, all in response to declining Xbox console sales.

I read a Game Rant article on this just yesterday actually but all grapevine ATM. Will find and throw up below... e/ Here is full read. Excerpted:

An established leaker claims that the Call of Duty series may end up skipping Xbox Game Pass as part of Microsoft's major strategic shift.

That's according to long-time Microsoft leaker Timdog, who said he "heard" that Call of Duty won't be coming to Xbox Game Pass during the latest episode of the Gamers Council podcast. The insider sarcastically labeled that move as one of Microsoft's "brilliant ideas" made as part of the company's rumored pivot to third-party publishing, all in response to declining Xbox console sales.

Yep this is one of the rumors I heard as well. Another I heard is that day and date is being dropped. The funny thing is day and date was at one point discussed in leaked emails from the FTC trial. They talked about how much money they were losing and the possibility of dropping it. I think Matt Booty came out right away and said no but maybe things have changed.

The Series X has been a massive flop, even Xbox fans have largely ignored it.
One thing I love, but makes absolutely no financial sense for them in the hardware department, is cloud gaming. "Starfield" was a big exclusive for them, but if you have GPU, you can stream it from multiple devices. Huge exclusives like that are supposed to be system sellers. Even if it was the greatest game ever made, nobody has to go out and spend like $700 on a "Series X/S" to play it. Shit, they don't even have to buy the game, let alone a new system.

I'm really surprised that cloud gaming is still a free for all, and that the current gen games aren't locked into the new systems. It's very generous and they should be applauded for being so consumer friendly in that regard, but it doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense, when they're trying to sell new consoles.

The only problem with that is several people have made it clear they aren't exiting the hardware market. So buying up more publishers will still be an issue for them.

I don't see them exiting the hardware market, but I can see them switching to having someone else, like Lenovo, making the hardware for them.

Add to that the fact that series x is much more expensive to produce to than ps5 according to digital foundry:

I'm curious as to how long that gasket around the apu holds up on the PS5's. Liquid metal was a bold strategy.

One thing I love, but makes absolutely no financial sense for them in the hardware department, is cloud gaming. "Starfield" was a big exclusive for them, but if you have GPU, you can stream it from multiple devices. Huge exclusives like that are supposed to be system sellers. Even if it was the greatest game ever made, nobody has to go out and spend like $700 on a "Series X/S" to play it. Shit, they don't even have to buy the game, let alone a new system.

I'm really surprised that cloud gaming is still a free for all, and that the current gen games aren't locked into the new systems. It's very generous and they should be applauded for being so consumer friendly in that regard, but it doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense, when they're trying to sell new consoles.

Yes lots of people were saying GP isn't sustainable and makes no sense financially. It was wild that they were advertising Starfield with a small line saying you don't need an Xbox or something similar. It made no sense. They went all in on sub services and it just hasn't turned out as well as they had hoped.

I don't see them exiting the hardware market, but I can see them switching to having someone else, like Lenovo, making the hardware for them.

This is one of the rumors going around is them going OEM. I suspect this is most likely an Xbox OS for handhelds. Something to counter the steam deck. Apparently they just recently signed the contract with AMD so it's pretty much guarantee they are making another console.

Looks like there might be some rebranding going on as well. I did see this rumor as well but just ignored it. There's so much stuff being spread online who knows what's real.

Now rumours they’re releasing 2 new consoles in 2026, a traditional one and basically a Microsoft switch.

I'd be very surprised if the Surface team was actually tasked with it. It's a gross mismatch in experience and product design philosophy, not to mention Microsoft has gutted that team in recent years. They're also based out of Canada, which wouldn't be ideal.

I'd be very surprised if the Surface team was actually tasked with it. It's a gross mismatch in experience and product design philosophy, not to mention Microsoft has gutted that team in recent years. They're also based out of Canada, which wouldn't be ideal.
Was kind of hoping it was true because I do like the surface laptops. It took a while but everything after the surface pro 3 has been great. Just getting into the laptop hardware industry was always going to be hard.

Was kind of hoping it was true because I do like the surface laptops. It took a while but everything after the surface pro 3 has been great. Just getting into the laptop hardware industry was always going to be hard.
What do you like about them? They're an interesting product.

Microsoft could do a lot more with them, but Surface is effectively meant as a testbed/showcase brand for Microsoft. If they wanted to be serious about laptops, they could, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze for them compared to Azure or just sitting back and collecting Windows license fees.

Back