Would you favor Masvidal/Maia winner of Woodley/Thompson?

Woodley's most dangerous when he can walk someone down to time a power strike. I don't think he's a good striker up close or when backing up, but he can still land a big hook.

Masvidal has good defense on the inside and has good offense there as well, can also fight from the outside, from where he's less dangerous and can lose via points since he often coasts behind a jab while taking kicks in return.

I think Wonderboy can choose at which range to fight him since his footwork is the best in the division (probably in the UFC). He's also got a counter game to negate attempts to fight inside, and from the outside Masvidal won't win on points.

If you look at Wonderboy's recent fights outside of Woodley (who has probably the best shot at WW and took him down after catching a kick) it's tough to get into shooting range against him, and chasing him is tiring. Masvidal has good cardio and could win, but I think the footwork will be difficult to overcome.

Good points about Wonderboy, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the footwork issue and thus the outcome of the fight, because I think this is the only place we differ - I think Masvidal's footwork is actually better than Wonderboys, and I don't think much of Wonderboy's footwork at all. Matt Brown, Cote early in their fight for example were able to bait him into exchanges, Ellenberger was able to get close, Burrell was able to get inside. It's really the Hendricks fight and the Rory fights were he turned a corner, but I can make the argument that one of those guys is designed to make Wonderboy look good and the other is a shell of himself.

Big Maia fan but I think he and Masvidal would lose to Wonderboy/Woodley.

Good points about Wonderboy, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the footwork issue and thus the outcome of the fight, because I think this is the only place we differ - I think Masvidal's footwork is actually better than Wonderboys, and I don't think much of Wonderboy's footwork at all. Matt Brown, Cote early in their fight for example were able to bait him into exchanges, Ellenberger was able to get close, Burrell was able to get inside. It's really the Hendricks fight and the Rory fights were he turned a corner, but I can make the argument that one of those guys is designed to make Wonderboy look good and the other is a shell of himself.
I think turning the corner, especially in the Rory fight, is what matters more than his previous fights since he's still relatively new to MMA and not a young fighter, but rather accustomed to kickboxing/karate, where the range is different. I don't think this Woodley rematch will change your opinion because Tyron's fast on the feet and has a fast shot, so WB doesn't have much time to move. Masvidal however is a skill-based fighter, it'll show more there. We'll see.

I think turning the corner, especially in the Rory fight, is what matters more than his previous fights since he's still relatively new to MMA and not a young fighter, but rather accustomed to kickboxing/karate, where the range is different. I don't think this Woodley rematch will change your opinion because Tyron's fast on the feet and has a fast shot, so WB doesn't have much time to move. Masvidal however is a skill-based fighter, it'll show more there. We'll see.
Yeah I said agree to disagree because I full accept I could be wrong
The Rory fight was impressive show of distance, but Rory fought timidly especially once his nose started leaking and pretty much gave ground so I'm not sure what that actually shows. I'll just need to see him against more guys.

Masvidal is the best of the bunch right now.
If he gets the shot, he will become champion. No doubt about that.
Maia would/will lose to all three of the other fighters btw.

Masvidal > Thompson >>> Woodley >>>>>>>> Maia

Masvidal will give Maia a good fight imo, but his striking will look way different when he has to wonder about being backpacked and he too tends to fade, so cardio is less of a worry. Demian 48-47.
Woodley will get choked out when he gasses 2x faster than Demian does. Unless he wants to suicide wrestle ala Cain.
Wonderboy's gracious long limbs will be folded into a pretzel.

Masvidal is the best of the bunch right now.
If he gets the shot, he will become champion. No doubt about that.
Maia would/will lose to all three of the other fighters btw.

Masvidal > Thompson >>> Woodley >>>>>>>> Maia
he's on a nice little streak and his fight against Cerrone was pretty rockstar. he's the "2015 RDA" of today.

but the best of the bunch? meh. we shall see i guess.

They all 3 beat Masvidal, and WB and Woodley probably beat Maia if he cant drag them to the ground.

How do you guys imagine a Maia/Woodley fight looks?
Woodley is definitely the hardest (IMO he is a very legit champ) opponent.
But I do see Maia avoid Woodleys power punches and wear him out by backpacking him.

masvidal will retire maia, i will bring this post up when they fight

I don't get people who say that Maia is a boring fighter. The way he strangled Brown and Condit was super entertaining to watch in my opinion.
I agree but the problem is when Maia fights someone with TDD its not pretty.

How do you guys imagine a Maia/Woodley fight looks?

it's a tough one. can Woodley rock him before getting taken down? and if he gets taken down can he get back up?

Matt Brown kinda sorta rocked Maia in the 3rd. and Woodley is damn good at staying out of range - downright running at times - until POW!

it's a tough fight for sure. but yes, i think Maia can avoid the big shot long enough to get it to the ground, and then smother him. and his GnP has improved dramatically, creating even more openings for subs (Condit), or hurting opponents pretty bad if it doesn't (Gunner).

but i sure wouldn't argue with someone who firmly believes that Woodley can stay out of his grasp long enough to knock his head off. it's a reasonable view.

I'd like to see GSP vs Maia or Woodley. We all know GSP won't fight Wonderboy, which is another duck at a top opponent but what do I know!

I'd love to see Masvidal vs Lawler too. Then we'd see who is who at 170.

Back