Would the Referee stop a fight this expensive?

J

Julius_Caesar

And risk backlash?

Say Conor fights dirty. Doesn't box him because why tf would he box him. He rams forward, clinches up, holds on, dirty boxing on the inside, taking control of Floyds arms, stepping on feet, pushing his head up against Floyds head... the ref breaks it up reset and repeat several times... a warning.... a point deduction.... then what? How far could Conor go before this expensive fight gets stopped? If it goes the full 12 rounds could Conor lose the match but still win the fight?

Floyd's more passionate haters would probably orgasm if Conor risked it all and KO'ed Floyd with an elbow or kick. Satisfaction = money. Would that be enough money to pay off the suing case against Conor if this occurs?

Yes. All day long. If he flagrantly breaks the rules after a few warnings, the ref stops it.

Say he kicks Floyd, I suspect the ref DQ's immediately and the commission could withhold his purse, really I think they would withhold if he blatantly pulled some bull-crap. So none of that would be a good idea.

Plus he might end up dead. Dorthy ain't in Kansas anymore when he is fighting Floyd.

he would get DQ'd, have his purse withheld, and get sued.

he won't be pulling any of that shit. he'll come in there, take a beating and go home. and 90% of the fans will be shocked, while the other 10% will go on and on about how incredibly predictable this result was.

Did you see what happened when Ortiz used the most blatant headbutt of modern times against Floyd?
He got a point but the fight would of carried on if Ortiz protected himself. Will Conor even care if he gets a point? I'm sure he knows he's not going to win anyway.

Yes. All day long. If he flagrantly breaks the rules after a few warnings, the ref stops it.

Say he kicks Floyd, I suspect the ref DQ's immediately and the commission could withhold his purse, really I think they would withhold if he blatantly pulled some bull-crap. So none of that would be a good idea.

Plus he might end up dead. Dorthy ain't in Kansas anymore when he is fighting Floyd.
Did Tyson have his purse withheld for biting off Holyfield's ear, out of curiosity?
I watched live but I forget the outcome...

I've seen boxing matches go on after lowblows, headbuts, punching downed apponents all in the same match.
In the end depends on the referee's judgment and allertness and on the fighter's sneakiness or how dirty.

Did Tyson have his purse withheld for biting off Holyfield's ear, out of curiosity?

You know I don't know..

I would also guess Floyds team thought about some BS being pulled, and put a foul clause with a monetary stipulation in the contract to discourage that kind of behavior.

Floyd will have harsh stipulations in the contract for conor committing a foul. like he would probably forfeit his entire purse if he throws a kick. Floyd isn't dumb and no way he is going to allow conor to embarrass him like that

Yes, Tyson's purse was withheld and he was suspended.

when big money is at stake, there is a little more leniency with fouls but no, i'm sure everyone knows conor is an mma'r and if he tries any of that shit he'll be warned once, twice if he's lucky and even if he gets floyd in a hold and floyd taps, he'll lose. So, there's no reason. I've seen big money fights go on, Holy-Tyson 2 is the most notable, he bit the ear off and spit it out, anyone else would have been disqualified then and there but there was so much money at stake, remember how the ref asked who was it? the doc or the commisioner, "can he continue?" without a beat, the doc said "YES!" so money always matters but if it gets ridiculous it won't go past a warning or two.

If Conor were to actually KO Floyd with an illegal elbow of kick, could he be charged with something criminally? Unlike a late punch or punch to a grounded opponent, an illegal strike like this would have obvious intent. I would think so

If Conor were to actually KO Floyd with an illegal elbow of kick, could he be charged with something criminally? Unlike a late punch or punch to a grounded opponent, an illegal strike like this would have obvious intent. I would think so
I'm sure he could but he probably wouldn't be, they're both fighters. It's entertainment and it would give everyone a lot to talk about but no, i doubt it.

it could be a stoppage like this one.

Fights starts at 9:20 mark

Apparently Mayweather had a stipulation put in the contract that says Conor does not get paid if he blatantly breaks rules (going rogue, throwing knees and elbows, etc).

Also, what a pathetic and honorless act that would be. He'd be the biggest embarrassment in sports if he did that.

of course, should have known mayweather would have done something like that. I wouldn't necessarily think that "honor" would stop an mma'r from anything. Lots of those guys happen to be more than a little nutty and unstable. I never liked working with them because they always had some issue that made them just go full retard all the time. If a bell rang they would feign walking away then hit you so they could get the last shot, they'd pop your elbow out of socket when you were supposed to be just doing the positioning of an armbar, so fuck no it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Maidana vs Floyd 1 is probably the best strategy Conor could try and use whether he is as effective with it or not. He is bigger and stronger tho. Most boxers aim to stop and wait for the ref once they enter the clinch whilst Maidana kept working.

Tyson's $30 million dolar purse was withheld immediately pending investigation, and his license was revoked. Talk was about indefinite withholding of his purse but not sure if that materialized (can't find info if it was truly indefinite), the State legally could only fine him 10% of his purse which he was fined that amount. Shortly thereafter Tyson had to declare bankruptcy anyways, not sure if it was the result of his $30mil being withheld for a while.

Maidana vs Floyd 1 is probably the best strategy Conor could try and use whether he is as effective with it or not. He is bigger and stronger tho. Most boxers aim to stop and wait for the ref once they enter the clinch whilst Maidana kept working.

This "bigger and stronger" claim I keep seeing float around here is totally bogus. Conor may be an inch taller, and may come into the ring weighing 170 but he has no idea how to fight in a clinch like a world class boxer does, with 10oz gloves. Floyd wont have any more problem with Conor's size as he did with Canelo or Maidana. Floyd had to work a bit more against Maidana but got the better overall with the dirty stuff inside. It's not foreign to him...There's literally NOTHING Conor can do in a boxing match that Floyd can't or hasnt handled.
If he tries to headbut or throw an elbow or knee, spinning heelkick or anything, like any other boxing match, he will have points deducted, and if it continues disqualification., no if ands or buts about it. There was an interview with Dana Whitejust this week saying none of that will hapen, because Conor isn't stupid, and would part with a lot of money if he did. Imagine the lawsuit conditions Mayweather's camp put the contracts.

Back