Would Canelo and GGG "iron chins" hold up to 4 oz gloves power shots?

I think prime Roy Jones jr. would KO either guy
Prime Roy was God-like. I think he'd probably get the TKO stoppage. He was crazy fast and had some serious pop in those hands!!!! One of my favorite fighters ever.

Go watch Muhammad Ali's fights.
Ali got dropped a few times in his career. Definitely had a good chin though. Anyone who can withstand the bombs of Foreman deserves serious recognition!

Totally overrated chins from both men.

Do they both have solid chins, sure. They got some beards on 'em, that's cool. This idea and narrative that they have some sort of Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Robbie Lawler level chin is just silly to me though. Where exactly is the evidence of either man taking colossal punishment? They both took next to zero real damage before fighting each other. In 72 minutes of fighting I don't think Golovkin once landed a fully power shot on Canelo, not like he has on his past opponents which he has typically knocked out. Canelo landed one really hard shot on Golovkin in their first fight which Gennady just walked through, now that was super impressive.

All that said, you're acting like these guys wear the damage on their chins, both fighters don't really take much damage. It took fights with each other to really take any proper damage, and even then they were both extremely cautious and never truly put it all on the line.

What's all this hype about Mark Hunt's chin? The fat fucker has been KTFO by pretty much every decent striker he's come against in MMA including a MW.

Their chins are insane. The gloves really don't make that much of a power difference.

That being said, their defensive skills would need to be completely relearned to compete in MMA

This nails it..they would get wrecked not because of weak Chins but poor MMA defense..it's completely different catching shots on your 12 -16 oz gloves in boxing vs MMA gloves.. that being said I believe there Chins would be above average just from years of conditioning

Canelo and GGG would kill Conor.

No way in hell Conor can KO them...Not to mention, Canelo/GGG have true strength/athleticism....6 months and Conor wont take em down.
You are the Stan to Conor's Eminem.

Conor was lucky that he was fighting an old, methodical, patient boxer. Good choice. Canelo or GGG would finish him in 3 or 4. Mayweather beat both but styles make fights.
Errol Spence Jr. would have annihilated Conor as well.

TS you assume mma fighters know how to throw punches like boxers do.

they don't

Errol Spence Jr. would have annihilated Conor as well.

Now that i would pay to watch.

Ohhh the bodywork.

Boxing fundamentals depend on being able to use a stance. A boxing stance will have you on your back real quick in mma. Also wrestling ability allows fighters throw punches with confidence.
Not this horseshit again....

If caught with the right shot anyone would go down with 4oz gloves.
Same thing goes for a boxing glove

The reason why guys in boxing seem to have way better chins is the amateur system, guys have 20-30 amateur fights, if your chin isn’t enough you aren’t going to even make it to the pros, let alone to the top like Canelo/GGG

Canelo and GGG would kill Conor.

No way in hell Conor can KO them...Not to mention, Canelo/GGG have true strength/athleticism....6 months and Conor wont take em down.

This is when you know Conor is living in dudes heads, rent free. No one even mentioned Conor, you weirdo lmao

The big thing isn't the gloves, it's that they know to roll with punches so they rarely get caught clean. Even in the second fight it's obvious. The problem with mma fighters is that 99% have terrible boxing fundamentals, especially defensively, and they get caught clean way more often. Mma fighters routinely walk into and lean right into punches.

Lastly, when mma fighters box in the pocket, almost all of them do it with their eyes closed, so when do get caught, they never see the punch coming. Boxers have been boxing since they were toddlers. Mma fighters pick up boxing late in life. The skill difference is like comparing grade school basketball to the NBA.

<5>

They have good chins, BUT they also slip the punches and roll with the punches very well, something that 99% of MMA fighters don't do and have no clue how to do. And that is totally fine because it takes years and years and years to learn to slip punches properly. You need many years of very good boxing training to learn it properly.

GGG definitely didn't roll with some of the punches he got caught with and at worst, he was momentarily staggered. Canelo has always had underrated defense.

Totally overrated chins from both men.

Do they both have solid chins, sure. They got some beards on 'em, that's cool. This idea and narrative that they have some sort of Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Robbie Lawler level chin is just silly to me though. Where exactly is the evidence of either man taking colossal punishment? They both took next to zero real damage before fighting each other. In 72 minutes of fighting I don't think Golovkin once landed a fully power shot on Canelo, not like he has on his past opponents which he has typically knocked out. Canelo landed one really hard shot on Golovkin in their first fight which Gennady just walked through, now that was super impressive.

All that said, you're acting like these guys wear the damage on their chins, both fighters don't really take much damage. It took fights with each other to really take any proper damage, and even then they were both extremely cautious and never truly put it all on the line.

c79.gif

Their chins are insane. The gloves really don't make that much of a power difference.

That being said, their defensive skills would need to be completely relearned to compete in MMA

Most won't understand this.

Considering the amount of power these guys generate in their punches from years upon years of competing as boxers the glove size wouldn’t matter. Look at Conor and his one flush shot he landed on Floyd. Had canelo landed that shot on Floyd he’d still be sleeping. Conor’s a good striker by mma standards but elite boxers have fine tuned mechanics that allow them to maximize their power. Even tho their using bigger gloves, the heat their throwing makes mma boxers look like women.

In short, yes, their chins would translate well.

The thing is I would like to see how some of these guys are wrapping their hands. Are they stacking their hand wraps then putting 4oz gloves over them and basically hitting with a cast?

To make things even with the small gloves I would say they should not allow taping - too easy to cheat.

Aren’t their wraps approved and signed off by third parties or the commission?

What's all this hype about Mark Hunt's chin? The fat fucker has been KTFO by pretty much every decent striker he's come against in MMA including a MW.
His chin was top-tier imo years ago, but it certainly isn't anything special now. Roy Nelson has always had a better chin imo, and the loss to Hunt proves nothing. Hunt ate Cro Cop's lhk and that was insane, but Nelson has eaten crazy shots so many times and has never truly been knocked out.

Back