Would Canelo and GGG "iron chins" hold up to 4 oz gloves power shots?

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do you think their chins are any better than MMA fighter's best chins (e.g. Diaz, Hunt, etc) or their chins would look average against 4 oz gloves?

Their chins are insane. The gloves really don't make that much of a power difference.

That being said, their defensive skills would need to be completely relearned to compete in MMA

If caught with the right shot anyone would go down with 4oz gloves.

I think so, i have never seen a chin like the one on Canelo... GGG is getitng old who knows if his chin will crack but canelo's chin is literally fucking insane.

Canelo would get the decision even if he was ko'd.

Canelo and GGG would kill Conor.

No way in hell Conor can KO them...Not to mention, Canelo/GGG have true strength/athleticism....6 months and Conor wont take em down.

Canelo won me 20 bucks. War Canelo!

Yes, they both have iron chins regardless of combat sport.

I think so, i have never seen a chin like the one on Canelo... GGG is getitng old who knows if his chin will crack but canelo's chin is literally fucking insane.
He knows how to roll with punches and GGG is getting old and he did wobble Canelo and hurt him but could not follow up. In the last fight Gennady ate Canelo's overhand like nothing - the one that has put guys out.

Gloves don't really make a difference - if you have power you have power. And unless you pull an Aldo or get caught clean you can take a shot.

The thing is I would like to see how some of these guys are wrapping their hands. Are they stacking their hand wraps then putting 4oz gloves over them and basically hitting with a cast?

To make things even with the small gloves I would say they should not allow taping - too easy to cheat.

probably
long amateur careers and lots of development fights select out bad chins more times than not

Gloves might help, but those guys pack real power, both of them have crazy one punch KO's, lights out walk out KO's. They both have good solid chins, neither has been even wobbled by their respective best punches.

The big thing isn't the gloves, it's that they know to roll with punches so they rarely get caught clean. Even in the second fight it's obvious. The problem with mma fighters is that 99% have terrible boxing fundamentals, especially defensively, and they get caught clean way more often. Mma fighters routinely walk into and lean right into punches.

Gloves might help, but those guys pack real power, both of them have crazy one punch KO's, lights out walk out KO's. They both have good solid chins, neither has been even wobbled by their respective best punches.
Canelo was wobbled twice in the second fight.

Lastly, when mma fighters box in the pocket, almost all of them do it with their eyes closed, so when do get caught, they never see the punch coming. Boxers have been boxing since they were toddlers. Mma fighters pick up boxing late in life. The skill difference is like comparing grade school basketball to the NBA.

I think prime Roy Jones jr. would KO either guy. Speed and a stunning counter-shot is needed. GGG is predictable with his shots. Canelo isn't the big puncher he's made out to be.(best KO's against guys like Kirkland and an undersized Khan)

Both Canelo and Ggg have iron chins regardless.

Canelo and GGG would kill Conor.

No way in hell Conor can KO them...Not to mention, Canelo/GGG have true strength/athleticism....6 months and Conor wont take em down.
Conor haters can't stop thinking and talking about Conor even in unrelated threads <36>

They have good chins, BUT they also slip the punches and roll with the punches very well, something that 99% of MMA fighters don't do and have no clue how to do. And that is totally fine because it takes years and years and years to learn to slip punches properly. You need many years of very good boxing training to learn it properly.

Back