Would a MMA or fitness gym be open to hiring someone to teach wrestling technique?

Headlock

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I currently am unable to afford going back MMA because of the price and was wondering if gyms would possibly hire on a wrestling coach in exchange for free classes or even as a part time job. I was a highly successful wrestler in college (only a year out) and want to keep training in something that would be lifelong like BJJ or the like.

You should say where you're based, or where you would be willing to travel to.

It makes a difference. Some areas are saturated with wrestling, others aren't. I'd approach one of the smaller gyms in your area and try to work out a deal where you teach 1-3 classes per week, and they waive membership fees. It's how our gym got judo classes added, and we probably wouldn't be opposed to a wrestling class either.

Some will, however, in most bjj places, the wrestling class is a ghost town. Gyms offer it if they already have a ranked bjj guy who wrestles.

You’d have better luck at an mma gym. Most of the technical wrestling at mma and BJJ gyms is lacking, so there is an opportunity there for you

I currently am unable to afford going back MMA because of the price and was wondering if gyms would possibly hire on a wrestling coach in exchange for free classes or even as a part time job. I was a highly successful wrestler in college (only a year out) and want to keep training in something that would be lifelong like BJJ or the like.
Don't be shy man, tell us about your wrestling career. And telling us your in NY is kinda pointless. Upstate? Way upstate? 5 Boroughs? Or Long Island?

Im in NYC and would be all over a wrestling class if one were offered at my place

One other thing to consider is that youth wrestling is pretty popular around here and you might be able to pick up some work doing private lessons

The answer is: call gyms and ask. I've seen it happen. But you have to ask around.

@Headlock -

As others have said, you'd have your best chance at a MMA gym. Fitness gyms don't generally care, and probably won't have a client based who's interested either, and most BJJ places (as Dirty Holt mentioned) already have a ranked guy who can also teach wrestling.

So your best bet is probably a MMA gym. See if you can find one of the smaller ones. Explain your situation honestly and tell them you'd be willing to run classes. Be aware, that in this day and age a lot of places will ask if you are familiar with "wrestling for MMA". It's something I've seen crop up lately and can sometimes catch people off guard.

Good luck!

yeah i saw his instructional he released recently wasnt sure if he was still at garcias

He is, and part of the reason his classes are so popular is that they are the only chance most at Marcelo's get to practice takedowns at all. Open mats there are only from knees. Major bummer and the downside of a popular gym. Anyways good luck finding a place!

This is what I love about the NYC wrestling/grappling scene. You have all the best guys bouncing around a d even blending disciplines. You have Renzo's, Marcelo Garcia's, Columbia University. Hofstra, Edge Wrestling/Grappling, Matt Serra (a little further into Nassau), the NYC RTC, Nassau Community College, LAW MMA, the Russian/Soviet wrestling clubs in Brooklyn, NY Combat Sambo, K Dojo (about 40 minutes into Jersey), etc etc. If youre a high level grappler you have so many options to train and teach.

This is what I love about the NYC wrestling/grappling scene. You have all the best guys bouncing around a d even blending disciplines. You have Renzo's, Marcelo Garcia's, Columbia University. Hofstra, Edge Wrestling/Grappling, Matt Serra (a little further into Nassau), the NYC RTC, Nassau Community College, LAW MMA, the Russian/Soviet wrestling clubs in Brooklyn, NY Combat Sambo, K Dojo (about 40 minutes into Jersey), etc etc. If youre a high level grappler you have so many options to train and teach.

theres a russian club in brooklyn? i never heard of that

theres a russian club in brooklyn? i never heard of that
There is/was 2 Soviet style wrestling clubs in Brooklyn.
Georgian Wrestling Club
1601 Gravesend Neck Road
Brooklyn, NY 11229
and
Brooklyn Wrestling Club
128-130 Brighton Beach Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235

Brooklyn Wrestling club is/was headed by Yuri Valenski, a big time player in the 80s wrestling scene in USSR/Ukraine. These Russian neighborhoods in Brooklyn are like living in Russia so there probably isn't many "outsiders" training there and getting the word out but I can imagine there is some very high level wrestling there. Then there is K Dojo in Jersey where all the Caucasus fighters/wrestlers/grapplers have trained, including Bilyal Makhov, Khabib, and others.

There is/was 2 Soviet style wrestling clubs in Brooklyn.
Georgian Wrestling Club
1601 Gravesend Neck Road
Brooklyn, NY 11229
and
Brooklyn Wrestling Club
128-130 Brighton Beach Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235

Brooklyn Wrestling club is/was headed by Yuri Valenski, a big time player in the 80s wrestling scene in USSR/Ukraine. These Russian neighborhoods in Brooklyn are like living in Russia so there probably isn't many "outsiders" training there and getting the word out but I can imagine there is some very high level wrestling there. Then there is K Dojo in Jersey where all the Caucasus fighters/wrestlers/grapplers have trained, including Bilyal Makhov, Khabib, and others.

yeah thats where khabib went for his first 2 ufc fights after he couldnt get down tibau i feel thats why he went to aka to learn better wall tactics

yeah thats where khabib went for his first 2 ufc fights after he couldnt get down tibau i feel thats why he went to aka to learn better wall tactics
Yeah, I thought Tibau won that fight.

Back