Worst ref in mma history

Should one of his corner jumped the fence to stop the fight?

• Total voters
Lmao the funny thing is holding chokes too long isn't very dangerous because you'd have to hold them a full minute too long for brain damage to set in.

I went into the video thinking this and was like oh shit lmao he actually held the choke 2 full minutes.

That's what I thought too, he held the choke but wasn't exerting pressure.

The argument could still be made that he should've just let go once he realised the ref had drain bamage though.

No, he told the ref the guy went out. The last minute he wasn't applying full pressure. If he had been, God help his opponent.

This is entirely on the ref. He should be banned for life.

You can almost say he saved a life from the dumb ref.

Not that it matters, but was that supposed to be a squash match in the first place?

If so, you'd the the ref would be quick to call it.

I think the fighter clearly has less fault. But the rules of the game don't absolve him from maintaining a choke for such a dangerous length of time.
At the 21 second mark, it appears the fighter goes limp. The fighter doing the choke looks at the ref to stop it at the 24 second mark..... He can't really help that the ref, nor cornermen wanted to protect the guy getting choked.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/08/21/mma-fighter-nearly-choked-to-death-in-horrifying-90-seconds/
Costa’s opponent, Rafael Barbosa, said he told the referee that Costa was out, but it was not called for 90 seconds. In the meantime, though his eyes stayed open, Costa’s body appeared to go limp, moving only a few times in what Costa said were seizures.

“He locked the anaconda choke, and when I turned to the wrong side, I went out,” Costa told MMA Fighting. “The first thing I remember is opening my eyes and seeing my coaches and a doctor over me, calling my name, and I couldn’t breathe. It was agonizing. I only came back to normal when I got to the hospital and they gave me some serum.

“Every referee touches the fighter to see if they are out, but he never touched me. My opponent stopped the fight. Otherwise, I would be dead.”

The referee, Emerson Pereira Saez, has since decided to retire.

Though this is a very upsetting story, and the ref ought to have retired, I found the use of the word “serum” quite funny.

I hope the fighter is okay, and I hope the ref gets an ingrown toenail.

Posted before. Disgusting.

Ref should be fined immensely and all $ should go to the man choked out. Disgusting.

The ref was just allowing Costa be a warrior.

At the 21 second mark, it appears the fighter goes limp. The fighter doing the choke looks at the ref to stop it at the 24 second mark..... He can't really help that the ref, nor cornermen wanted to protect the guy getting choked.
Yes, I understand. But when it gets to the point that he's holding a choke for over a minute, like when it gets to a point where it is dangerous, he too has responsibility. Like I said earlier,t he ref and the corner bear a heavier responsibility in such a case.

When you bet that much money on a fighter as a ref who can control the outcome to a certain extent... You wait for the guy to get up and keep swinging I guess

How about you get in there and do the refs job. Can you imagine how much pressure referees are under in these situations? Easier than it looks. It’s not like this guy is dead or anything. Everybody needs to stop overreacting it’s MMA. Shit like this is a part of the sport
I expect the referees to be able to keep the fighers safe in that regard, I shouldn't have to do it myself becasue that referee is incompetent. If you know anything about the sport you can see he did everything wrong and nothing correct, so stop defending a fully retarded and bad person who is a referee. You don't seem to know what brain damage due to lack of blood or oxygen is.

cecil650.jpg

I tried and failed to find that really funny Cecil Peoples video. The internet seems to have disposed of it...

Back