Worst Injury you've had (Fighting or not)

At the risk of turning this into a training debate, I have to disagree with one of your points Donegal.
I think by lifting I improve my MMA game a lot.

Put it this way...

Take 2 guys of equal athletic ability and start them on a solid MMA training program of BJJ and Muay Thai for example. Then with object A, get him to hit the gym as well, while object B does not.

Over time they will both improve at their fight game, more or less equally.
In a fight, I would lean toward object A. Even though technique is much more important than strength in the ring, it can not be denied that a guy who can out muscle an equally skilled opponent is going to end up on top about 85-95% of the time IMO.

This is the case between myself and one of my friends, we started BJJ a week apart, I have always been in the gym also, he hasn't, opur techniques are equal if not a bit toward him, yet when we roll, 9/10 I make him tap or have a definite points advantage.

I know there are a shit load of other factors than just these, but it makes a good point

Originally posted by seldomTap
Damn straight and as I have a little dick, I like to try and lift heavy!!

Dammit you always keep bringing this up! What is it with you Seldom?

I posted this before but I will again so I can feel included.

I got my ACL partially torn off playing football:The guard next to me missed his block so the def. tackle knifed in and nailed the running back at the line of scrimmage. They both fell on my extended leg and it folded like a rag.

Years later while playing a "friendly" game of beach football in Miami my cousin nailed me from the side and blew it out. I had to fly back to Canada to get the shit reset...

Fucking rugby assholes can only take american football monsters like me down by cheapshotting... :mad:

Originally posted by Hound
Damn straight and as I have a little dick, I like to try and lift heavy!!

Dammit you always keep bringing this up! What is it with you Seldom?

I posted this before but I will again so I can feel included.

I got my ACL partially torn off playing football:The guard next to me missed his block so the def. tackle knifed in and nailed the running back at the line of scrimmage. They both fell on my extended leg and it folded like a rag.

Years later while playing a "friendly" game of beach football in Miami my cousin nailed me from the side and blew it out. I had to fly back to Canada to get the shit reset...

Fucking rugby assholes can only take american football monsters like me down by cheapshotting... :mad:

Fuck Hound, that sucks man. Knees are IMO the worst thing to injure, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even you. Tackling low can be fucken dangerous, I have seen a lot of guys get fucked up from hits straight on the knee and sending it reverse 90 degrees. Ouch

As for my cock, I am not one to brag and say I am hung like Hojak! 99% of guys say they are huge in the jocks and it gtets kind of boring to hear all the time, by me being the opposite, I am not only getting a laugh, but also not being a regular joe!

As for my cock, I am not one to brag and say I am hung like Hojak! 99% of guys say they are huge in the jocks and it gtets kind of boring to hear all the time, by me being the opposite, I am not only getting a laugh, but also not being a regular joe!

Bullshit. I think you are just reaching out for some cyber comfort.

About knees: I think God was dropping some acid when he created the knee joint. I betcha he couldn't make his local varsity team so he decided to get back at all the jocks and put em in crutches and rehab half the year.

Is Blossom on at this time?

At the risk of turning this into a training debate, I have to disagree with one of your points Donegal.
I think by lifting I improve my MMA game a lot.

Put it this way...

Take 2 guys of equal athletic ability and start them on a solid MMA training program of BJJ and Muay Thai for example. Then with object A, get him to hit the gym as well, while object B does not.

Over time they will both improve at their fight game, more or less equally.
In a fight, I would lean toward object A. Even though technique is much more important than strength in the ring, it can not be denied that a guy who can out muscle an equally skilled opponent is going to end up on top about 85-95% of the time IMO.

This is the case between myself and one of my friends, we started BJJ a week apart, I have always been in the gym also, he hasn't, opur techniques are equal if not a bit toward him, yet when we roll, 9/10 I make him tap or have a definite points advantage.

I know there are a shit load of other factors than just these, but it makes a good point

Seldom hit the nail on the head with this post.

Donegal, I hate tooting my own horn, but I was a mod on the Training Forum before I was a mod for Off Topic. Trust me man, I have some idea on weight training and physiology.

My technique is prolly crap compared to half of you its been that long since I trained in any martial art, but I'm willing to wager that my strength and endurance is better than a fair portion of all you people HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

- The Jake

PS: I think any guy freely posting his cock info has security issues, irrespective of FACTUAL size.... HAHAHAHHAHA

- The Jake

To weigh in on the strength vs technique thing:

In football when playing offensive or defensive line both strength and technique are required and can also cancel each other out.

Yet in the long run brute strength will still win it over technique in the end. If you are giving up 60-70 pounds to an opposing lineman you may be able to slow him down a few plays but in the end he will grind you down and blow you off your feet regardless of how well you set your feet or place your hands. His superior strength will enable him to get out of situations he should not be able to when facing an evenly matched opponent strength wise.

I am sure a similar situation arises in grappling and BJJ. Stronger guys must be able to muscle out of subs that they normally should not be able to and get and maintain superiror position even if their base is not as techniquely sound.

Hmmm, up until 2 years ago I'd have to go with my 3 concussions,( one by being chased by a black bear) but I have to say the cardiac arrest during sinus surgery is the worst. Was "dead" 4.5 minutes. No scars to prove it, cept the brain swollen temper! Boooo!

FUCK!!!!
You are almost clssed as a Zombie you realise for that!!!
FUCK!!!

Seldom,

I'm not sayin that strength will not help. Of course it will. I just think that tryin to lift really heavy weights leads to a lot of problems. If you lift less weights with more reps I think its better for ur game. OK ur ego might not get stroked as much in the gym but it will on the matt.

And jake the cardio u get from weights or running is completely different than that of rolling. If you dont know what u are doin when u roll or spar you will gas really fast.

Entreri, you are unbreakable! Whatever doesn't kill us can only make us stronger right!!

Donegal, good point about reps etc. Personally, I very rarely go lower than 6 reps, more often than not in the 8-12 range. I have never done a 1rm for anything. There is a lot of joint problems etc you can get from lifting heavy, but these can be avoided by using good form and warming up etc, minimise risks.

Good point on cardio to, first BJJ class I went to I almost threw up from being so gassed! Now my mat fitness is one of my bgest qualities, along with dazzling charm and rapist wit!!

Entreri, you are unbreakable! Whatever doesn't kill us can only make us stronger right!!

Now my mat fitness is one of my bgest qualities, along with dazzling charm and rapist wit!!

Small dick and now "rapist". Wonder if there's a connection...

Yeah seldom. 8-12 reps is a good idea.

I follow the body for life lifting program when I train. I keep my form as good as I possibly can. I see these guys in the gym who lift way more but thier form is pure shit.

Swinging weigths. Lifting too fast, not controling the weight as it drops. The thing is they think they are real hard men. If they even stepped on the matt for 5 minutes they would throw their guts up.

I see it all the time in class were these big gorillas come in and get their ass handed to them and never come back.

I got mine handed to me in the beginning too and thats what took me back.

Damn, I cannot get much past the Hound! I really have to modify my posts me thinks!!

Hey Donegal how big is MMA in Ireland? I am well aware of the Irish's love of fighting :D but I am curious about their acceptance of doing this in a controlled environnement :cool: .

Sla

Fine Donegal -

Now you've got me wound up. :D

I'm not sayin that strength will not help. Of course it will. I just think that tryin to lift really heavy weights leads to a lot of problems.

How so? Provide examples. I don't mean like scientific evidence or some shit, just a basic empirical example will do fine.

If you lift less weights with more reps I think its better for ur game. OK ur ego might not get stroked as much in the gym but it will on the matt.

Iron Trav wrote this very nice, detailed thread on training specific muscle fibre types. I strongly recommend you read this:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2965

This breaks it down and explains what muscle fibres you are training and why you train them and how exploit certain training techniques to complement your game. When I was a training mod I planned on writing this, but Trav wrote a far better and more educated article than I ever could.

And jake the cardio u get from weights or running is completely different than that of rolling. If you dont know what u are doin when u roll or spar you will gas really fast.

Total agreement there but that's usually because most newbies keep trying to muscle their way out of every move in BJJ. I may be a newb but I know when to muscle and when not to.

My technique sucks coz I haven't trained in MA for fucking months but I do stay fit. I have decent endurance and I have power, two essential things for BJJ. I do not have good short term wind, which means I am not that great at standup but it's something I can work on anyway (plus it's not usually an issue in BJJ) so I'm not too phased. But because I am generally fitter that means if you pit me against someone of the same skill level, bloody oath I'll wreck them.

I have had sessions where I've rolled with 3 different people for an hour solid and they've stopped to have rests and I haven't. The fact that I'm physically in better shape than most people and I take my overall health and fitness and training than a lot more seriously than most people means that I often have an edge.

And weight training DOES gives you that edge, plain and simple. But it does depend on how you train. It doesn't make you a bad ass fighter, far from it. But it helps -- it's a tool. Nothing more.
One thing I learned from bodybuilding is that it is an art and its about building up your weaknesses, not building your strengths. To develop a balanced physique. That theory I've learned to apply to my fighting game, and it makes a difference. If you use your weight training to fill out the weaknesses in your fighting game, I guarantee you will notice results (that's why I recommend the above thread btw).

- The Jake

Originally posted by donegal
OK one example....

How's ur shoulder?

Which one? I have two! :D

Overall - pretty good actually. Just plays up in the cold and shits me when heavy benching. When your shoulder goes out it's never the same again, period. You have a predisposition to injury, which is something I have to live with really.

I fail to see the corelation here.... considering the one that plays up the most was injured from something other than weight training. That was in a BJJ sesssion. My partner had a high mount I was trying to escape by pushing them up and off and the shoulder subluxated.

My other shoulder I tore the ligament in an arm wrestle against a dickhead who cheated who kept moving my arm coz he was drunk and losing.

Without weight training my shoulders wouldn't be back to where they are now.

- The Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back