Women’s Featherweight, time to go?

At least tag @Ares Black if you're going to call him out.
He's also completely wrong. I have said repeatedly that Women's Featherweight is a wasteland and should be shuttered. If the UFC poached everyone from Bellator and PFL it would be decent, but they aren't going to do that.

Right now WFW isn't even a real division. If you don't have a Top 15, you aren't a real division.

It's good for promoting Nunes as a two division champ. But it's not really a division.

A few facts about this division.

-26 total fights in approximately 6 years.
-Approximately 4 fights a year.
-7 total title fights all involving fighters that primarily fight at 135 or have since retired/changed promotions.
-Belt last defended 2 years ago with no obvious fight on the horizon.
-Currently only 4 fighters that primarily compete at this weight class.
Norma Dumont (3-2)
Zarah Fairn (0-3)
Leah Letson (1-1)
Danyelle Wolf (0-1)

So what do we think? Time to fold this division?
Your list is not quite accurate.

Firstly, Leah Letson retired in January.

Second, there is Chelsea Chandler, who so far has 1 UFC fight at a 140-lb catchweight. I believe the UFC intends to make her fight at BW but she hasn't actually had any fights at that weight since 2019. Her last two before joining the UFC were both at 145.

Can that female tree trunk even make 145? I thought it was tough for her to make 155? I don't see the point either considering she'd be doing just what she's already doing and fighting scrubs outside of a Nunes fight.
She has made 145 before, I'm sure she could do it again. Her marketability took a big hit when she lost in the PFL finals to Pacheco though.

Second, there is Chelsea Chandler, who so far has 1 UFC fight at a 140-lb catchweight. I believe the UFC intends to make her fight at BW but she hasn't actually had any fights at that weight since 2019. Her last two before joining the UFC were both at 145.
I like Chandler. She's scrappy AF.

The UFC don't even have rankings for this division on their website because there isn't enough girls in it. There's like 4 total lol.

What? Ares Black will tell this is one of the most competitive divisions and if you don't like it you are just a hater and couple more adjectives I can't think of.
<TrumpWrong1>

She has made 145 before, I'm sure she could do it again. Her marketability took a big hit when she lost in the PFL finals to Pacheco though.
Pacheco is pretty damn good and id prefer her against nunez tbh. Kayla is a bit of a one trick pony and as seen just like Ronda you take it away and she's done.

It will be interesting to see how the PFL uses Kayla this year since she is still signed to the PFL but opted out of the PFL season. I assume she will just fight once or twice on a PPV card but who is gonna be her opponent?

Also, will Claressa Shields be back in MMA this year? I hope so but she is absolutely not ready for a fight against Kayla. If she does come back it would be another PPV fight but she needs a shittier opponent than Kayla.

Was unaware Letson retired. I didn’t include Chandler just because she hadn’t competed at 145 yet. Appreciate the info though!

Pacheco is pretty damn good and id prefer her against nunez tbh. Kayla is a bit of a one trick pony and as seen just like Ronda you take it away and she's done.
I think at this point in their careers Pacheco would fuck Nunes up and make it look easy.

Pacheco had kind of a lackluster fight in her last outing at 145. After bulking up to beat Kayla at 155 she wasn't the same fighter at 145. She's still good, hopefully next time will be better.

Back