Wolfenstein : The New Order

Finally finished this last night. Great story and production. I'm not normally a fan of fps games but this was pretty fun, although I did have to turn down the difficulty to finish the game. Shit got ridiculous in a few areas and I don't have the patience with this type of gameplay to spend hours grinding through them. Even then, the final boss was a huge pain in the ass. I can't imagine playing this on the hardest difficulty.

It's funny how screwed up this thread got in the software migration. Post dates are all over the place.

I picked this game up during the summer sale a few weeks ago. I had a blast... great game, fun, very brutal, and I loved that they made stealth an option if the player desired. My first play through was pretty difficult, but once I picked up all of the secondary fire modes and attachments for the laser, it became much easier. My first time through I had no idea that the assault rifle had a grenade launcher attachment. haha I also missed the scope for the laser, so dealing with the RPG enemies or the mechanized enemies was pretty tough.

After coming off about 18 months hooked on Destiny, it was nice to play an FPS which was much faster paced, had stealth, and was actually driven by a story. 9/10 overall I think... would have loved a better sniping weapon... for whatever reason I missed often with that, even if the cross-hairs were dead on the enemies head, and the ammo was absurdly scarce.

Yeah the ammo for sniping rifle was far too scarce to use consistently. The grenade launcher on the assault rifle was amazing though. I used that on all the tanky enemies and final boss. Unfortunately I think I missed the last upgrade for the laser so it was pretty weak near the end.

Not sure if it was just me but the weapon wheel was hella hard to use. It always seemed to select the wrong weapon. Drove me nuts during long firefights.

Grabbed this on the flash sale.

It's pretty damn good so far. What I've loved so far is it's break neck pacing. I know it's a pretty long game for a shooter, so if the opening two hours or so are anything to go by, it should be great. The game play is nothing all that special, but I'm really digging the old school feel. The health/ammo pick ups being scattered everywhere is something I haven't seen in a while, although I wish you didn't have to hit a button to pick them all up. Where it really goes old school, is in the map design. It seems like every stage is just a maze of corridors, like it was back in the original Doom days. It's a blessing and a curse I suppose, as I've gotten turned around quite a few times, but I like how the game doesn't hold your hand by giving you highlighted objection markers that tells you exactly where to go. It's up to you to get to where you're going, and you got open the map once in while. I could see it getting annoying, but for right now, I'm appreciating the retro approach.

The game play is nothing special, but it's all pretty tight. At least the mechanics. The enemy AI is painfully stupid, which makes the game a shooting gallery, without much strategy needed. I think that was somewhat intentional though. Gun play is tight and responsive, and the stealth elements work pretty seamlessly. It's all pretty fun.

If I had one gripe, it would be the sound design. For whatever reason, all the sound comes in very low. I've got to crank the volume, just to get it at a normal level. Don't know what happened there. It's a minor gripe, as the sound is still good when you crank it up. I just don't know why it was programmed at dog whistle level.

All in all though, I'm having a pretty damn good time with it.

Very good story telling in this game. I can't say the game was too fun though, it was underwhelming.

I'm currently playing (I get to games like a snail)...

I like it as a player of all the 'Steins. The story is above average (compared to other FPSs), but it embraces what it is and is just a fun, action-packed Nazi killing experience :D

83/100 for me

i hated the feeling of being over powered by the mechanized enemies. still a really good game, i want to get to the expansion pack soon.

Back