WMMA high level vs. average Joes

If we want to start with what we've seen in the gym, I'd put a dozen otherwise regular guys who come to an MMA class a few times a week over most of the women in MMA.

I remember saying this before Holm crushed Ronda and getting the stupidest responses.

Well that's probably true because in the MMA class, there's usually like ONE or ZERO women there (in the average gym). In BJJ class, then a Blue Belt and up female will whoop on them...usually for the Blues but almost definitely for the Purples.

I've trained for fun for 12 years at good gyms (from militich to city box). I'm 5'7 and a joke to male pros my size, but I have to absoloutely baby the pro women when we do harder sparring. I'm sorry man, you almost have to let women take you down, there shots are pathetic even at the highest level compared to just the local HS wrestlers..... and for punching power, I'll fight a pro woman any day over a guy just out of the marines who's been been to like 5 boxing classes total. No joke I dropped Jens Pulvers ex-gf with a TOTALLY half-hearted body hook back when she was competing .... I just used good form and threw a bit harder then normally with girls because I felt I was patronizing them with how light I was going..... this nonsense needs to stop, it's not a contest.

Last edited:
They are not even trying, and still can get her in trouble.

lol, what a stupidity.

That's bullshit. I've seen many "average fit regular guy", even after 6+ months of training....gets scared shitless the first time they spar (which is LIGHT only) and then find plenty of excuses to leave class when sparring starts (Boxing and Muay Thai). Some would quit altogether.

We have a female Kickboxer who's at the semi-pro level (so nowhere near Miesha Tate and certainly not Nunes) who's excellent but her power, sucks ass, because well...she's a girl. But still managed almost KO some, bigger Marine guy who's had over a year of MT/BJJ training + the Marines.

I don't think you train with women.

These guys with Miesha are 140 - 150 lbs manlets, if that's 'even better than Average Joe', where do you live, in Hobbiton?

Fuck you. It's called the Shire.

I've trained for fun for 12 years at good gyms (from militich to city box). I'm 5'7 and a joke to male pros my size, but I have to absoloutely baby the pro women when we do harder sparring. I'm sorry man, you almost have to let women take you down, there shots are pathetic even at the highest level compared to just the local HS wrestlers..... and for punching power, I'll fight a pro woman any day over a guy just out of the marines who's been been to like 5 boxing classes total. No joke I dropped Jens Pulvers ex-gf with a TOTALLY half-hearted body hook back when she was competing .... I just used good form and threw a bit harder then normally with girls because I felt I was patronizing them with how light I was going..... this nonsense needs to stop, it's not a contest.

Your ass has been training for "12 YEARS". No shit that you're not the average Joe who's untrained and unfit.

Your ass has been training for "12 YEARS". No shit that you're not the average Joe who's untrained and unfit.
Your right, and I'm still saying a non-fatty who just has played sports with some pushing involved (a couple years HS football riding the bench as backup O-line) should never get taken down by a girl outside of a rousey or gabe... and even I would hope they don't.

Wow, you've never had a girlfriend before? In the same or close, weight class...the woman would look bigger..... due to men having heavier bone density, more muscles, etc....all great for combat. While women would have more fat, especially in their boobs and ass, which is a disadvantage for combat weigh-in matching up. So at the same weight, women are right of the bat, at a disadvantage, genetically. So what do you want, some giant 250 guy, fighting a little girl who weighs around 145-150 regularly. What a man you are.
No, i'm just saying these guys aren't 'better than Average Joe'. Not just that, Miesha is probably 150 there, so they are even smaller than her.

An average fit regular guy would still have the upper hand.

It is the intangibles such as reacting to getting hit etc that may give women pro fighters at edge. Plus knowledge about fighting.

Give an average guy 6 months of boxing or MMA the advantage disappears immediately for pro women fighters. Gi
6 months of training does absolutely nothing for most people. I've seen guys with years of training that are still terrible.

Have you ever trained/competed?

Sure I can outmuscle the pro girls in grappling and overpower them in striking, but I have some years of training, am reasonably strong and several weightclasses bigger.

Yeah, top WMMA fighters would wreck most untrained men as long as they aren't huge and better than average natural fighters.

Some of the lesser ones wouldn't do too good against an aggressive man though (thinking the lighter weight pillow strikers).

We must also consider the effectiveness of jiujitsu and how the vast majority of the population are not anywhere near bluebelt level.
I agree though that strawweights who walk at 140 with the exception of Joanna perhaps would do fairly terrible against average men.

Bantamweight women though can be upwards of 160 lbs and are usually trained enough to grapple a man. And indeed they train with mostly men in the gym.

We must also consider the effectiveness of jiujitsu and how the vast majority of the population are not anywhere near bluebelt level.
I agree though that strawweights who walk at 140 with the exception of Joanna perhaps would do fairly terrible against average men.

Bantamweight women though can be upwards of 160 lbs and are usually trained enough to grapple a man.
Yeah it was grappling that mostly makes me think good BWs would handle most untrained men, striking is harder to call.

Regarding SWs Gadelha and Andrade might do better than Joanna actually since they're big and strong (relatively) and grapple, and Andrade is a former BW.

6 months of training does absolutely nothing for most people. I've seen guys with years of training that are still terrible.

Have you ever trained/competed?

Sure I can outmuscle the pro girls in grappling and overpower them in striking, but I have some years of training, am reasonably strong and several weightclasses bigger.

Yup.

And six months should be sufficient in most cases unless we are talking about people with zero fighting instincts.

Not to brag but I dont have formal training yet I was able to takedown a 200 lb man in the bar once. That's a big guy,...not a usual case.

I'm 5'3" and 135 at the most.....

Pena, Cyborg, and Nunes are, what, 5'8" and 160+? And they train with men nearly every day.

Not to brag but I dont have formal training yet I was able to takedown a 200 lb man in the bar once. That's a big guy,...not a usual case.

I'm 5'3" and 135 at the most.....

Pena, Cyborg, and Nunes are, what, 5'8" and 160+? And they train with men nearly every day.
Wait, are you a girl?

Pena isn't actually that big, she is 5'6 or 5'7 and walks around at under 150 according to her. She has fought at 125 before, she would still beat most untrained men IMO but just pointing that out. Her appearance is misleading (unless she has gained size and is BSing about being small, but I think she just fought small girls who made her look big).

Wait, are you a girl?

Pena isn't actually that big, she is 5'6 or 5'7 and walks around at under 150 according to her. She has fought at 125 before, she would still beat most untrained men IMO but just pointing that out. Her appearance is misleading (unless she's BSing about being small and has gained size).

She probably is 5'7" after all..she was clearly taller than Zingano. But ur right about the weight.

I'm male. And I'm not strong for my size either. Or fast. I deadlift perhaps 150 lbs. I just did a single-leg takedown. I know it sounds like a big fish story, but when people have alcohol in their system u know...

She probably is 5'7" after all..she was clearly taller than Zingano. But ur right about the weight.

I'm male. And I'm not strong for my size either. Or fast. I deadlift perhaps 150 lbs. I just did a single-leg takedown. I know it sounds like a big fish story, but when people have alcohol in their system u know...
Yeah she is probably 5'7, I just saw her listed as 5'6 somewhere but it's probably wrong. Still lots of people think she is a giant monster and it's more that Rakoczy and Dudieva were undersized lol.

Yup.

And six months should be sufficient in most cases unless we are talking about people with zero fighting instincts.
I've seen hundred of guys after 6 months training and 99% of them are still terrible. Unless they are naturals, which are very few and far between.

Most people barely start sparring at 6 months and still turn their heads and close their eyes when getting hit in the face.

It takes years of dedication to get good technically, especially under pressure.

Back