Winning, Grant or Cleto Reyes?

Fighterdad

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need advise on what typ/style of glove to order for my son. It's gonna be his 18'th birthday present(which in Sweden is like turning 21 in the US), so I can't ask him to much details to raise suspicion...

But it's going to be bag and pads gloves with velcro closure.

He uses kings open thumb typ bag gloves right now and he almost never wraps his hands anymore because he says it forces him to strike right and he wants to feel the knuckles on impact to know if he lands right...something like that.

But now he wants another bag glove to switch between to have be able to really dig in to the bag and for more fight like pad work...

I'm no boxer myself, but I do like gear and know a little, but not nearly enough to make this choice.

I've read that some like winnings 10 Oz gloves for bag and pads, some likes the Cletos or the Grant style better cause of the more puncher style glove, but I cant say I really know what that mean!

Oh, btw, I'm going to order from Top Boxer so as much input you guys can help me with is...well, just awesome!

Hi, I only have experience with the 16 oz Cleto Reyes which were amazing on the pads. From your description of your son preference, I think he might enjoy the Cleto Reyes because of the satisfying pop sound and the feedback from hitting the pads. However, your son may not like the thumb position since it has an awkward design. Personally, the thumb design it was never an issue but it's something to take into consideration.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good pair of gloves for you son. Also, I recommend that your son wear hand wraps just because having an hand injury is no fun.

Definitely agree with the above poster, especially on wrapping up the hands. Have you spoken with TB yet? If his backlog of orders doesn't allow delivery before your son's birthday, give me a try!

Definitely agree with the above poster, especially on wrapping up the hands. Have you spoken with TB yet? If his backlog of orders doesn't allow delivery before your son's birthday, give me a try!

Hi Joey.

I have spoken with TB about a pair of pads and then this gloves thing popped up. TB says its about 7 weeks from order to shipping atm.

You got any links to your work?

Hi, I only have experience with the 16 oz Cleto Reyes which were amazing on the pads. From your description of your son preference, I think he might enjoy the Cleto Reyes because of the satisfying pop sound and the feedback from hitting the pads. However, your son may not like the thumb position since it has an awkward design. Personally, the thumb design it was never an issue but it's something to take into consideration.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good pair of gloves for you son. Also, I recommend that your son wear hand wraps just because having an hand injury is no fun.

May I ask a perhaps stupid question...
Browsing the forum I see alot of guys using 16 Oz gloves for both sparring and pad/bag work...what is the reason for that?

If your a big heavyweight guy I would understand, but even tiny guys go for them...what is the reason for that?

Thanks for answering btw!

I myself have weak wrists and cant hit anything without wraps, but I do know that the oldtimers wore nothing but leather mitts for bag work. Some say that because of that they had less hand/wrist problems because they had to learn to hit right. If there is any truth in that I dont know, but it does sound logic to a certain extent, so that's why haven't stopped him... His coach, who've had some succés in bringing up some good fighters here, and also is an older man with a mix of oldschool and modern ideas, have no problem with his guys doing bag work in mitts without wraps...

On the other hand, my son did a couple of training sessions for an former world champ and he told him off for using a open thumb typ glove and said to always use proper boxing gloves with wraps and nothing else...

Its kinda confusing to know what is "right"!

...but cletos you say, that popping is probably exact what he wants!

May I ask a perhaps stupid question...
Browsing the forum I see alot of guys using 16 Oz gloves for both sparring and pad/bag work...what is the reason for that?

No such thing as a stupid question. Lol one of my teacher used to say a stupid question is a question not ask. The general consensus is that 16 oz gloves are used for sparring if you're around 160 lbs or more and 12 oz if you're lighter. Also 12 oz gloves are great for mitt work since the heavier gloves will hindered your speed, but personally I just wear 16 oz gloves.

I still recommend that your son developed a habit of using hand wraps just to prevent any nagging injuries.

No such thing as a stupid question. Lol one of my teacher used to say a stupid question is a question not ask. The general consensus is that 16 oz gloves are used for sparring if you're around 160 lbs or more and 12 oz if you're lighter. Also 12 oz gloves are great for mitt work since the heavier gloves will hindered your speed, but personally I just wear 16 oz gloves.

Oh, already at 160 lbs, then that explains alot why "everybody" go for the 16 Oz.

I still recommend that your son developed a habit of using hand wraps just to prevent any nagging injuries.

He used to wear them all the time, its just the last year he's been training without.
But he plans to Box for a long time so it only make sense to take Care of his hands and wrists.

Oh, already at 160 lbs, then that explains alot why "everybody" go for the 16 Oz.

I don't have a definite answer on why but I can only presume that the generic size happens to be16 oz gloves which can be used for all aspect of training such as sparring, mitt works, and heavy bag work.

Lol of course deep down inside, I really think the Illuminate is behind the number 16 in order to gain control of the population for a massive takeover. ::: puts on tin foil hat:::

For fast bagwork and mitts, the Winning 8oz (Ms200) or 10oz (Ms300) is a great choice.

Yes they are professional fight gloves but very comfortable, durable and protective.

But I just realized you asked for Velcro...

Maybe the Rival Ultra RB1 (available in 8oz to 14oz or Evolution RB11 (available in 10oz to 14oz).

Hi Joey.

I have spoken with TB about a pair of pads and then this gloves thing popped up. TB says its about 7 weeks from order to shipping atm.

You got any links to your work?

Yeah, lots of photos on IG - https://www.instagram.com/marvelousmuaythai/?hl=en

Here's my thread where I'm looking for ideas and feedback - http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/marvelousmuaythai-boxing-gloves-prototype.3345933/

Also, we're new so there's only one Sherdog review so far, but here's that - http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/marvelousmuaythai-custom-16oz-triple-cuff-lace-ups.3372289/

Last edited:
You probably want to avoid Rival RB11 in my experience, injured both of my hands with them lol.

I am a lightweight and I use 10oz for bags and pads. Reason is pretty simply, I look ridiculous with the size of 16oz on my hands and the enjoyment of training with 16oz is pretty minimal because of how much you feel like waving pillows and I get inaccurate with punches as well. 8-12oz size wise just closer to how you throw punches naturally in terms of speed, power and accuracy. Also closer to the weight of gloves that you'll be fighting with.

Imo the sizes of gloves are all for protection, in sparring you want 14-18oz to protect your sparring partner not so much for your own protection. Therefore on bags and pads, you can put that concern aside and go with whatever that is enough to protect your own hands, in my case I like good 10 oz with good padding, good wrist support and use them with wraps.

If one day I move up on weight or somewhat punch harder I will move up to 12 oz or so.

Using 16oz for everything is just not my preference, I grow sloppy by that with my techniques also not as enjoyable to me. Training is already some what grinding, however if you are able to enjoy your training more, you can train harder, train more, simply put - more motivated to go through hard sessions. In a result you just improve faster. That's my theory and why I keep purchasing new gloves, including an order with Joey above.

When I first started, I did the research and followed many's opinion of a pair of 16 oz for everything too before I knew anything and that concept has obviously changed for the above reasons. I don't support the idea of using open thumb type of bag gloves but from that to a pair of that to a pair of 16oz would be a massive leap and I am not sure your son would enjoy that.

Hope my opinion somewhat helps.

Last edited:
You probably want to avoid Rival RB11 in my experience, injured both of my hands with them lol.

I am a lightweight and I use 10oz for bags and pads. Reason is pretty simply, I look ridiculous with the size of 16oz on my hands and the enjoyment of training with 16oz is pretty minimal because of how much you feel like waving pillows and I get inaccurate with punches as well. 8-12oz size wise just closer to how you throw punches naturally in terms of speed, power and accuracy. Also closer to the weight of gloves that you'll be fighting with.

Imo the sizes of gloves are all for protection, in sparring you want 14-18oz to protect your sparring partner not so much for your own protection. Therefore on bags and pads, you can put that concern aside and go with whatever that is enough to protect your own hands, in my case I like good 10 oz with good padding, good wrist support and use them with wraps.

If one day I move up on weight or somewhat punch harder I will move up to 12 oz or so.

Using 16oz for everything is just not my preference, I grow sloppy by that with my techniques also not as enjoyable to me. Training is already some what grinding, however if you are able to enjoy your training more, you can train harder, train more, simply put - more motivated to go through hard sessions. In a result you just improve faster. That's my theory and why I keep purchasing new gloves, including an order with Joey above.

When I first started, I did the research and followed many's opinion of a pair of 16 oz for everything too before I knew anything and that concept has obviously changed for the above reasons. I don't support the idea of using open thumb type of bag gloves but from that to a pair of that to a pair of 16oz would be a massive leap and I am not sure your son would enjoy that.

Hope my opinion somewhat helps.

Damn that's unfortunate about the hand injuries using RB11s.

What kind of injurys and how much usage was put into your pair?

I've also been in the search for a 10oz-12oz glove with good protection and pop.

I'm considering the Fairtex BGV9s. A popular Muay Thai brand that made a successful mexican style boxing glove.

Apparently there are 2 versions. The new one says "minor change" (softer and thicker padding?).

From Amazon, 10oz doesn't seem to be available for the "minor change" version, but it is for the previous version.

Damn that's unfortunate about the hand injuries using RB11s.

What kind of injurys and how much usage was put into your pair?

I didn't go to a doctor and check specifically, but it was pain in middle knuckles on both hands, forced me to be out of any punching for 2 weeks or so.

The funny thing was I got that in less than an hour using them, they were simply too stiff and did not give me a chance to even break them in. They were by far the worst experience I ever had on any gloves.

BGV9 is also under my radar, but haven't bought them yet, heard lots of good things about them.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I need advise on what typ/style of glove to order for my son. It's gonna be his 18'th birthday present(which in Sweden is like turning 21 in the US), so I can't ask him to much details to raise suspicion...

But it's going to be bag and pads gloves with velcro closure.

He uses kings open thumb typ bag gloves right now and he almost never wraps his hands anymore because he says it forces him to strike right and he wants to feel the knuckles on impact to know if he lands right...something like that.

But now he wants another bag glove to switch between to have be able to really dig in to the bag and for more fight like pad work...

I'm no boxer myself, but I do like gear and know a little, but not nearly enough to make this choice.

I've read that some like winnings 10 Oz gloves for bag and pads, some likes the Cletos or the Grant style better cause of the more puncher style glove, but I cant say I really know what that mean!

Oh, btw, I'm going to order from Top Boxer so as much input you guys can help me with is...well, just awesome!

My advice would be to order 10 oz winning velcro version. As they are even more suited to training than the lace up version. They are slightly denser. Or so it seems to me. I sold mine however as I prefer the fit of the lace up version and I use them with tape and gauze and a oversized knuckle pad as there is plenty of room for wraps. unlike cleto fight gloves in my opinion.

But if your set on ordering from top boxer, just have him make you a velcro 10 oz fight sized training glove with winning profile and padding. It won't be exactly the same. But he makes great gloves and you can customize it the way you want.

As for your son's training methods, if he plans to compete at some level in the future no one is going to let him do so with out some sort of wrap job. If he has solid hands then he can get away with using a couple of rolls of gauze per hand. It's a very minimal wrap if you don't add a knuckle pad and tape job. At the very least it provides a little support and will absorb some of the sweat to keep the gloves from being soaked in sweat.

If you do a tuck job instead of taping up you can air out / and or wash the gauze and re-use them.

Also, if the instuctor/ coach at this gym knows how to do a pro wrap. Add pre wrap foam as a base layer. When the wrap is complete cut away at the palm side of the wrist and if need be - the bottom side of the thumb and index finger side of the palm grip .

You can re use the wrap this way. just re tape when you use again and air out when done.

1. pre wrap.
2. tape
3. gauze/ and knuckle pad.
4. knuckle pad anchors & finishing tape

My advice would be to order 10 oz winning velcro version. As they are even more suited to training than the lace up version. They are slightly denser. Or so it seems to me. I sold mine however as I prefer the fit of the lace up version and I use them with tape and gauze and a oversized knuckle pad as there is plenty of room for wraps. unlike cleto fight gloves in my opinion.

But if your set on ordering from top boxer, just have him make you a velcro 10 oz fight sized training glove with winning profile and padding. It won't be exactly the same. But he makes great gloves and you can customize it the way you want.

As for your son's training methods, if he plans to compete at some level in the future no one is going to let him do so with out some sort of wrap job. If he has solid hands then he can get away with using a couple of rolls of gauze per hand. It's a very minimal wrap if you don't add a knuckle pad and tape job. At the very least it provides a little support and will absorb some of the sweat to keep the gloves from being soaked in sweat.

If you do a tuck job instead of taping up you can air out / and or wash the gauze and re-use them.

Also, if the instuctor/ coach at this gym knows how to do a pro wrap. Add pre wrap foam as a base layer. When the wrap is complete cut away at the palm side of the wrist and if need be - the bottom side of the thumb and index finger side of the palm grip .

You can re use the wrap this way. just re tape when you use again and air out when done.

1. pre wrap.
2. tape
3. gauze/ and knuckle pad.
4. knuckle pad anchors & finishing tape

Yeah there is a difference between the 8oz/10oz Laceup and velcros.

As of 2007, the laceups were modified to be more of a true fight glove. One or more of the layers were removed it seems.

I have experience with both versions as well, and the laceups are a bit thinner and softer but still protective (compared to other fight gloves, especially to mexican ones).

I honestly believe Gatti would have taken more knockdowns and conventionally stopped (instead of an RTD) had Floyd worn the current model (or any other fight glove) instead of the previous model; which was pretty much an 8oz version of the Winning trainers. Overly padded for fights.

Last edited:
Yeah there is a difference between the 8oz/10oz Laceup and velcros.

As of 2007, the lace ups were modified to be more of a true fight glove. One or more of the layers were removed it seems.

I have experience with both versions as well, and the lace ups are a bit thinner and softer but still protective (compared to other fight gloves, especially to Mexican ones).

I honestly believe Gatti would have taken more knockdowns and conventionally stopped (instead of an RTD) had Floyd worn the current model (or any other fight glove) instead of the previous model; which was pretty much an 8oz version of the Winning trainers. Overly padded for fights.

Thanks for the verification. Let's not pretend 10 oz winning are like training / fighting with 14oz gloves. (not saying you are). For me the 10 oz winning gloves shine because of the thumb design and the ability to make a near perfect fist. Also there is room to add any type of knuckle pad you like. Gauze, foam or gel.

As for the Mayweather - Gatti fight, Gatti was worn and punch drunk by then. He made Mayweather look super human. Even the prime Pre Ward version of gatti is no match for Mayweather. No version is. Mayweather was hitting him at will.

Dont know why Mayweather does not still use winning for fights... Its not like Grants are super protective. (He still has hand problems). Remeber when he was complaining about Maidana's MX gloves? He was complaining about them not having enough padding. I was like WTF ... like grants do? I own both. Grants might have more padding over the back of the hand but the padding over the knuckles is negligible imo.

Thanks for the verification. Let's not pretend 10 oz winning are like training / fighting with 14oz gloves. (not saying you are). For me the 10 oz winning gloves shine because of the thumb design and the ability to make a near perfect fist. Also there is room to add any type of knuckle pad you like. Gauze, foam or gel.

As for the Mayweather - Gatti fight, Gatti was worn and punch drunk by then. He made Mayweather look super human. Even the prime Pre Ward version of gatti is no match for Mayweather. No version is. Mayweather was hitting him at will.

Dont know why Mayweather does not still use winning for fights... Its not like Grants are super protective. (He still has hand problems). Remeber when he was complaining about Maidana's MX gloves? He was complaining about them not having enough padding. I was like WTF ... like grants do? I own both. Grants might have more padding over the back of the hand but the padding over the knuckles is negligible imo.

Yeah, the current model Winning fight gloves are definitely more of a puncher's glove but still protective. It's the previous version that I felt was over-padded for fights; hence their reason for the change. I also notice that the current version has a little wrist support/padding (more balanced distribution), whereas the velcro version (aka a velcro replica of the previous laceup version) does not have wrist padding... it's focused at the knuckles.

Mayweather wearing the previous model in 8oz:

http://static.boxrec.com/0/01/Gatti_Mayweather_2005.jpg

http://www.thefightcity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Judah-vs-Mayweather.jpg

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/W_FloydSharmba04_Hogan.jpg

Canelo wearing the current 10oz version (notice the compactness and the yellow colored oval logo):

http://www.boxing.com/images/sized/images/articles/Alvarez-Hatton-530x317.jpg
http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/31082/alvarez-baldomir-fight-12s.jpg

Pacquiao and Morales wearing the 8oz previous model: (I'm pretty sure Pac did not like using those for fights when he usually uses Reyes)

http://3morerounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pacquiao-Morales.jpg

Pacquiao wearing the current model in 10oz:

http://media.philstar.com/images/th...20140408/manny-pacquiao-and-freddie-roach.jpg

I agree, the 10oz Winning pro fights allow for a perfect fist and is probably the most comfortable pair I've ever put on. Sometimes I'll add the Winning NG2 gel/latex knuckle guards if I really want to hammer away at full power (being a heavyweight, this can be risky).

Mayweather probably gets paid a good amount to continue wearing Grants. He also customizes both of his Grant trainers and fight gloves with added orthopedic foam, which is basically a super soft mem (Grant's email service confirmed this when I was inquiring with them about purchasing a pair, which I ended up not doing because of the price... 16oz stock would cost $375.. and an extra $150 for ortho foam... and several weeks to complete)

Last edited:
Back