Winning, Grant or Cleto Reyes? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Fighterdad, Oct 27, 2016.

1. dembones22 Blue Belt

dembones22

Damn dood...:eek:

$525 for gloves!! They saw you coming. The thing that separates them from other manufactures is the leather. The probably use the best leather in the business. ( goat leather). It's right up there if not better than Reyes. I have two pair of the older training models in 12 oz, fight gloves in 10 oz and a super obscure traditional no thumb slip on bag gloves. I might consider buying another fight glove, as they are pretty roomy for a pro training wrap. But not at the current asking price. I think rival might also make their fight gloves in goat leather. I would pick them over grant even though there graphic design is a bit "busy" for my liking.

How much money do you think grant is making to pay Mayweather to wear their gloves?? Seems to me he could get sponsored by many other companies with deeper pockets. But You never see him sporting anything but Mayweather promotions or TMT. He makes more than enough money for his purse and does not have to cater to sponsors. Maybe he just likes the flashy GRANT gloves. They are nice to look at but they are not best performing gloves. Especially at the current asking prices.

2. makedansure Blue Belt

makedansure
    Grant claims that they don't pay and Elvis calls Floyd "captain" of the Grant team.

That being said, I own a few pairs of their pro fight gloves and their trainers. The only training gloves I've liked from Grant are some older stock 16 lace ups, 14 super bag gloves, and some recent 18 oz gloves, with the 18 oz gloves being one of my favorite gloves I've ever owned.

Their new pro fight gloves are amazing in my opinion, in terms of fit and padding. They're great and they're what I'd be wearing if I were a pro fighter. The winning 10 oz didn't fit me well (I have larger hands). I wonder if they make a 10xl. The Grant gloves, though they feel amazing (love the thumb) aren't the most durable. The liner is not very durable and overall, the gloves aren't worth the ~$300 base price.

Grant seems to increase the price of their gloves every few months or so. Last year, I was quoted $375 for 18 oz in standard colors. I emailed them a few weeks ago - they quoted me at $475 for a stock pair but offered 10% off. Too bad that's still more than what they were asking last year. Definitely beautiful gloves, overpriced for sure. And they're inconsistent. They definitely have different people with varying degrees of expertise/care that produce gear. I've completely shit pairs and a few that have been amazing.

That's why Winning is the gold standard. Though I've heard that they have different classes of leather they use for equipment (some being more durable than others), for the most part their consistency is unparalleled.

Fighterdad likes this.
  3. Nurse Joy Lover, fighter, cut man,nurse, aspiring chef.

Nurse Joy
    Hi! I'm sure you've heard this. Unless your son wants messed up broken hands and a short career he needs to wrap his hands!

Fighterdad likes this.
  4. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    He does compete under aiba rules and wraps are checked after every fight.

Exellent tip about the re-use of pro-wrapping, thx!

5. MacBig White Belt

MacBig
    Reading your post , good thing you brought this up, but about the 10 or 12oz I was wondering what is your weight?

6. Minowafanatic Black Belt

Minowafanatic
    They probably just send him and his gym and fighters lots of equipment for free and have formed a relationship through that.

4daLuLZ likes this.
  7. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    Thx for all of your inputs, it helped alot!

...as for the wrapping issues, I googled some pics of hand surgery and some info about ruined boxing careers, and suddenly he wrapps his hands very carefully all the time! =)

I ordered 2 pairs from Topboxer, one pair of 10 oz for bag and pads with grant style + ortho padding, and one pair 12 oz winning style + ortho padding, and the son is ecstatic about them!

8. Minowafanatic Black Belt

Minowafanatic
    Awesome, you sound like a great Dad. Respect.

9. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    Thx! =)

you know, its fantastic to be able to share an interest with your son and staying relevant as a parent even after they hit puberty, hehe
    I played rugby for almost ten years and did tae kwon do for about 5, but I wish I had found boxing back then instead, it´s a beautiful sport.

10. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    There is nothing wrong with Rugby or Taekwondo. Boxing isn't a superior sport, so don't feel the time wasted man.

11. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    Oh, I loved playing Rugby, I was good at it too, played for the national team at 18 a couple of times.
    Tae Kwon Do was fun and great exersice, never competed though...

But boxing is a different animal, the history, tradition, blood, sweat and tears, grinding, mind game...
    I mean everybody has an opinion of prime fighters like Tyson or Ali...who knows any TKD or Rugby star!? =)

12. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Think you got a solid point there, but that's just because the sport is more popular. But if you are a fan/practitioner anyway, how big of the sport shouldn't matter much. Just like casual don't even know who Buakaw, Saenchai, Ramon Dekkers are. But Muaythai is every bit as good as boxing. Same go with MMA, Taekwondo etc.

For the record, there are plenty of TKD stars well known to people who actually follows: In MMA-Yair, Pettis etc. In Olympic: Lopez, Cook etc.

Fighterdad likes this.
  13. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    You are right ofc, Boxing is perhaps a bit glorified because of the history, another factor is that its not like hockey, soccer or skiing that demands certain conditions and it used to be cheap (and still is if your not wanting for the prime gear) which in it´s turn made champions from all countries over the world.

As I am from Sweden our first and only heavy weight champion was Ingemar Johansson, the streets was empty when he fought Floyd Patterson, the capital of sweden - stockholm, was empty, everybody was glued to a radio. We´ve hade some more champs after that in other weight classes, but Ingemar Johansson will forever be the first champion of pro boxing in sweden...

I went to watch som Muay Thai fights on the channel six arena in Bangkok last year, and that was awesome to watch, those are some hardcore boys, carved out of stone. out of the seven fights I saw five ended on KO´s.

14. 4daLuLZ Blue Belt

4daLuLZ

Not my place but you'd kid looks kinda overweight in your profile pic. Like if you cut his stomach open you'd find a few missing kids fat.

15. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    That would be funny if my pic wasn´t one of the most used ones since the beginning of teh internet...

But hey, perhaps internet is new in trollville!?

=)

16. 4daLuLZ Blue Belt

4daLuLZ
    That's you ?
    and ppl have been using your pic as a meme since the beginning of the Internet ???

Sorry, man. Internet ppl are brutal. You're beautiful and don't let anyone tell eslsewise.

17. Fighterdad White Belt

Fighterdad
    I know, right! :rolleyes:

Minowafanatic likes this.
  18. Endy White Belt

Endy
    That's why Winning is the gold standard. Though I've heard that they have different classes of leather they use for equipment (some being more durable than others), for the most part their consistency is unparalleled.[/QUOTE]

Hii, may i know what do you mean with different classes of leather? Did they use different leather for each gloves they made? Thnx

19. KShaft Blue Belt

KShaft
    The pro fight Grants I had were more protective than the trainers I also had. The trainers were pretty much exactly the same as the Super Pro Bag gloves, only with velcro. Very thin padding on the trainers. Reyes have much more padding (not the fight glove, those you feel your knuckle pressing down in it almost immediately). Not as good as the Winnings I also owned, but not bad at all. I even emailed them and told them as much and wondered why that was(more padding on the fight glove vs the trainers I mean). Of course they didn't give two shits.
    Also Grant does do an Orthopedic foam fill. Never tried that one. Winning just kind of kicked everyone elses' asses. Why bother with anything else, though I did anyway but only on a collective, curiosity sort of level; but not for serious useage.