Wind River, new film directed by the writer of Sicario and Hell or High Water

You may want to spoiler tag your whole question. . .

. . . since the reveal of the rape is a twist in the story that the trailers don't give away.

But to answer your question, they don't actually show the rape. They only show the aftermath (her running away through the snow with her hands bound) and the moment before it happens, at which point the screen cuts to black.

oh my bad.

I just looked at the rating guide on IMDB and it said "sexual violence" so I just assumed! will edit.

You may want to spoiler tag your whole question. . .

. . . since the reveal of the rape is a twist in the story that the trailers don't give away.

But to answer your question, they don't actually show the rape. They only show the aftermath (her running away through the snow with her hands bound) and the moment before it happens, at which point the screen cuts to black.
That's not true...
She is shown to be penetrated briefly while unconscious before her boyfriend attacks the rapists again and she escapes the trailer.

That's not true...
She is shown to be penetrated briefly while unconscious before her boyfriend attacks the rapists again and she escapes the trailer.

You'll have to give me a timestamp, because I just watched that scene again and at the end of the scene she's unconscious on the bed with her pants still on. All the dudes look at her, and then it cuts back to the present day.

Great movie and about fucking time they used actual Natives in movies about Natives.

8/10.

That Pan movie - they used Rooney Mira or whatever the fuck her name is.

I can't say I saw that one. But plenty of movies have used actual natives for natives.

Other than Wind River, just a few that come to mind would be Frozen River, Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Windtalkers. And also the TV show Longmire.

You'll have to give me a timestamp, because I just watched that scene again and at the end of the scene she's unconscious on the bed with her pants still on. All the dudes look at her, and then it cuts back to the present day.
I saw it in theaters and definitely remember the shot being the dudes looking at her (clothed) ass, then the rapist penetrating her (she gets moved slightly back and forth) then her eyes opening then the boyfriend coming back, then her slipping out of the trailer looking back as he's beaten to death. Then it cuts to Olsen getting shot in the present from the same door that she just left. Could be wrong, but don't want to find the timestamp.
Regardless, the whole scene left me with Nocturnal Animals run off the road levels of discomfort.

I saw it in theaters and definitely remember the shot being the dudes looking at her (clothed) ass, then the rapist penetrating her (she gets moved slightly back and forth) then her eyes opening then the boyfriend coming back, then her slipping out of the trailer looking back as he's beaten to death. Then it cuts to Olsen getting shot in the present from the same door that she just left. Could be wrong, but don't want to find the timestamp.
Regardless, the whole scene left me with Nocturnal Animals run off the road levels of discomfort.

I think your mind's playing tricks on you.

I have the file and just took a third look at it. Olsen's character knocks on the door, the boyfriend then opens the door to find his native girl. They hang out for a bit and then his fellow workers arrive back at the trailer. One of the workers starts some shit with him, he gets pissed, and they beat his ass. While they're beating the shit out of him she jumps in and tries to help him but gets knocked out in the process. When she gets KOd she falls onto the bed, ass up in the air. They look at her lustily and then it cuts back to the present day with Olsen knocking on the door.

But I do agree it was a very uncomfortable scene.

I have the file and just took a third look at it. Olsen's character knocks on the door, the boyfriend then opens the door to find his native girl. They hang out for a bit and then his fellow workers arrive back at the trailer. One of the workers starts some shit with him, he gets pissed, and they beat his ass. While they're beating the shit out of him she jumps in and tries to help him but gets knocked out in the process. When she gets KOd she falls onto the bed, ass up in the air. They look at her lustily and then it cuts back to the present day with Olsen knocking on the door.

Huh. Yeah, that's probably it unless there's different cuts of it out there i.e. a less graphic version for countries with stricter obscenity laws.

It was really just a fantastic movie. Very rare to have a native issue movie and me not despise it.

Not sure if you saw my thread about the upcoming show Yellowstone, written and produced by Taylor Sheridan and starring Kevin Costner, but it also is scheduled to shoot in Utah. He must like shooting here.
Darn. Yellowstone is like 70 minutes from my house. I would have shown up for casting calls to be an extra

I made the rare move of reading and watching reviews after viewing, and the negative ones struck me as pedantic, pretentious and forced. I absolutely understand the white savior trope, and its long history of being problematic in books, film, etc. But I genuinely don't feel there's an issue here.

Huh. Yeah, that's probably it unless there's different cuts of it out there i.e. a less graphic version for countries with stricter obscenity laws.
My version didn’t have it cuz I streamed it

You watched a korean copy they cut out the bit he is talking about.

Really? Hmm.

If that's actually a scene in the movie then I'm disappointed by that. Doesn't seem necessary.

It was shown in the version I saw as well.

Great fucking movie though. Olsen was the clear weak point but Sheridan certainly knows what he's doing in this space.

It was shown in the version I saw as well.

Great fucking movie though. Olsen was the clear weak point but Sheridan certainly knows what he's doing in this space.

I guess the Korean version I watched was edited then. I like the edit.

As for Olsen, I liked her. I really don't get the criticism. Her character was a wet-behind-the-ears FBI agent. Didn't she play that?

I guess the Korean version I watched was edited then. I like the edit.

As for Olsen, I liked her. I really don't get the criticism. Her character was a wet-behind-the-ears FBI agent. Didn't she play that?
Agreed. She was solid

Back