Will the UFC allow Jones to hold onto the belt and duck Aspinall for two consecutive fights?

Fighting Poatan would be HUGE bullshit and a worse fight than Gane.

The fact this is even talked about as opposed to the literal Interim belt holder is legacy altering imo

Jon doesn't book his own fights, regardless of people here think. Can't fight someone if the contract never comes.
Fights get negotiated first and then contracts are written. If DW says "Hey Jon we want you to unify the belts with Aspinall" and Jon replies "Nope I still want Stipe and only Stipe." then:

1) that is a fight option Ducked yet no contract is written. Not saying that actually happened but claiming no "Written Contract was offered" means no one is ducking is either Sheer Stupidity or an attempt to Gaslight others or maybe yourself.

2) I get the Stipe fight was booked prior to Jon getting injured and there being an Interim created. I personally think it is BS that the UFC didn't make the Interim title with Stipe so that Jon could only have the option of fighting the Interim Champion but that is more on the UFC then Jon. But Jon Jones now publicly vying for a fight with Pereira over Aspinall after or instead of Stipe is 1000% on Jon Jones.

OF course they will. If they haven't punished Jones at this point they aren't going to do it now.

Ask yourself, does the UFC want to make that fight right now? Has Jon been offered the fight? If the answers to these questions is no then how can you duck something that isn't even on the table?
By talking about fighting Alex Pereira.

By talking about fighting Alex Pereira.
You could construe that as ducking Tom, or you could interpret it as Jon sees dollar signs in a fight with Pereira. It's not really a question of which fight would sell more PPV's and the difference is probably quite a lot. 500k vs 900k maybe?

Two things:
1) you do not have any direct knowledge of what was and wasn't offered to Jones "Contractually"

2) Hypothetical scenario. If the UFC says to Jon "We want you to fight Aspinall and unify the belts" and he says "fuck that I ain't fighting Aspinall." then no written contract means Jon in that scenario isn't "Ducking"?

Dana has said there are more ways to Duck then to simply refuse a written contractually offered fight. Fights get negotiated first and then contracts get put on paper.

1) neither do you

2) negotiations dont mean a whole lot look what happened with Francis and Jones look how many people call out McGregor look how many people khamzat has called out I guess all these people are docking according to you all these professional fighters who fight for a living don't want to fight anybody ....yet all these fights keep getting made.. contracts matter in business not talk

You could construe that as ducking Tom, or you could interpret it as Jon sees dollar signs in a fight with Pereira. It's not really a question of which fight would sell more PPV's and the difference is probably quite a lot. 500k vs 900k maybe?

It is prizefighting, after all. As is oft repeated here.

How does it matter to you or me how many other people watch? More people would watch Trump vs Biden in a cage fight but that doesn't mean it should be for the UFC HW title.

If Jon wants to be the UFC HW Champion he is obliged to fight the Interim UFC HW Champion. If he wants to vacate that title he can choose whoever he wants. Fuck Jon and his desire to hold up HW and now LHW. He has a long list of title fights against MWs at LHW and now that he is a HW (took 3+ years to move up) he wants the current LHW champ (a former MW champ) to fight him at HW?

I don't know about you but I like watching UFC fights that matter in the context of proving who is the best. Who sells the most is not my concern. If I was just wanting to follow the careers of the highly paid I would be a big fan of Warren Buffett or Jeff Bezos.

1) neither do you

2) negotiations dont mean a whole lot look what happened with Francis and Jones look how many people call out McGregor look how many people khamzat has called out I guess all these people are docking according to you all these professional fighters who fight for a living don't want to fight anybody ....yet all these fights keep getting made.. contracts matter in business not talk
The only fighters who are OBLIGED to fight a specific opponent is a Champion against the number 1 contender. Sometimes the #1 contender is not clear with multiple possibilities or not readily available. There is no more clear #1 contender then someone holding an Interim Title and Tom is available. Jon not only is holding off for the Stipe fight (understandable in some way being previously booked prior to the Interim title fight) but he has evaded whether he would agree to face Tom and unify after Stipe if he wins but now he is trying to get a fight with Pereira for the HW Title? The UFC should require the title to be Unified.

Jon is holding the "Undisputed" title and actively denying the Interim title holder as the rightful #1 contender. That isn't the UFC or anyone else....That is Jon.....Actively DUCKING Tom Aspinall.

How does it matter to you or me how many other people watch? More people would watch Trump vs Biden in a cage fight but that doesn't mean it should be for the UFC HW title.

If Jon wants to be the UFC HW Champion he is obliged to fight the Interim UFC HW Champion. If he wants to vacate that title he can choose whoever he wants. Fuck Jon and his desire to hold up HW and now LHW. He has a long list of title fights against MWs at LHW and now that he is a HW (took 3+ years to move up) he wants the current LHW champ (a former MW champ) to fight him at HW?

I don't know about you but I like watching UFC fights that matter in the context of proving who is the best. Who sells the most is not my concern. If I was just wanting to follow the careers of the highly paid I would be a big fan of Warren Buffett or Jeff Bezos.
I gave you a simple answer and reason why Jon would want Pereira over Tom. Money. It's not complicated.

Alex too wants that fight and I would love to see him get the opportunity. I don't give a fuck what Tom Aspinall wants, lmao. I'm a fan of Alex, and if Alex flatlined Jon and sent him out on a stretcher I would be ecstatic for him. So that's the fight I want to see, and you can want whatever fight you want to see.

The UFC is going to make whichever fight they want and Pereira accepted Jon's callout today and said he would be honored. I hope it gets booked. I want to see Alex challenge for greatness.

Alex Pereira is coming to take everything Tom Aspinall has worked for motherfuckers.

Last edited:
I gave you a simple answer and reason why Jon would want Pereira over Tom. Money. It's not complicated.

Alex too wants that fight and I would love to see him get the opportunity. I don't give a fuck what Tom Aspinall wants, lmao. I'm a fan of Alex, and if Alex flatlined Jon and sent him out on a stretcher I would be ecstatic for him. So that's the fight I want to see, and you can want whatever fight you want to see.

The UFC is going to make whichever fight they want and Pereira accepted Jon's callout today and said he would be honored. I hope it gets booked. I want to see Alex challenge for greatness.
I get that Jon wants money.

I just don't get why Jon should be able to walk around with the HW belt and talk about fighting anyone and everyone EXCEPT the guy holding the Interim HW title. Is Jon vs Alex really a fight that should be considered for the HW title. If we are going to just make fights across divisions then lets do away with titles altogether.

Jon vs Alex feels big because it is the HW champ vs the LHW champ right?
But if neither one was ever a UFC champ does it matter as much?
Being a UFC champ holds prestige because the UFC titles have been contested for the most part in the past between champions and merit based #1 contenders. Matchmaking was the priority and money has always played some role but not the only role. Jon criticized Tom's Interim title fight as him winning a fight between 2 contenders. Jon holds a HW title that was awarded to the winner of a fight between 2 contenders. By his own words his "HW Championship" isn't really legit then.

I get that Jon wants money.

I just don't get why Jon should be able to walk around with the HW belt and talk about fighting anyone and everyone EXCEPT the guy holding the Interim HW title. Is Jon vs Alex really a fight that should be considered for the HW title. If we are going to just make fights across divisions then lets do away with titles altogether.

Jon vs Alex feels big because it is the HW champ vs the LHW champ right?
But if neither one was ever a UFC champ does it matter as much?
Being a UFC champ holds prestige because the UFC titles have been contested for the most part in the past between champions and merit based #1 contenders. Matchmaking was the priority and money has always played some role but not the only role. Jon criticized Tom's Interim title fight as him winning a fight between 2 contenders. Jon holds a HW title that was awarded to the winner of a fight between 2 contenders. By his own words his "HW Championship" isn't really legit then.
The HW title lost a lot of it's prestige when Francis left the UFC and the division has like 4 real contenders. The division is a bit of a joke so who cares? I want to see the biggest and best possible fights. I don't think Tom presents anything Jon hasn't seen before and Jon has beat better fighters like DC. I don't think Jon has ever fought a more dangerous striker than Pereira.

There's still a lot of moving parts. Jon has to beat Stipe. Alex has to beat Jiri. Tom has to beat Blaydes. Then the UFC will have to make a decision.

Last edited:
It won't be cool to do but I have to be honest. Aspinall is not a star(only UK).

Nothing will be lost from Aspinall not getting a TS after Stipe. HW is dead, the division dead. Jones vs Pereira will make it fun, it's wrong to do because it does fuck Apinall career but the UFC/Dana don't give a fuck.

Jones is set on facing Stipe and is now talking about fighting Pereira. If the UFC allows this they are fucking up the future of their heavyweight division for a short term gain. Not only that, they are wasting a year of Aspinall's prime and what could have been 2-3 title defenses.

They've done it before. They did this for Bisping and screwed over Romero for a year. But the difference is Aspinall is young and looks like the future of the division. You would think they would want to build the guy up. The obvious way to do that is to set him up to fight the legend on the verge of retirement. Or at least give him the belt and let him start defending it.

If Aspinall were to be the first guy to beat Jones it would set him up to be a big name for them. I don't see what letting Jones crush Stipe and wrestlefuck Pereira does for anyone but Jones. It's just odd considering how reluctant Dana has been in the past to let a fighter get one over on them (angry at GSP for retiring, begging Khabib to come back).
I despise jones. Testosterone levels of a 60 year old man vs dc in their first fight. DC was in acceptable range. Enter usada. Jones gets caught constantly, even hiding under the cage and assaulting testers. Yet he gets a free pass. WTF. Garcia is thrown under the bus for a minor ped. Unlike jones who was juicing to the gills like his brother.

His refusal to discuss the Aspinall fight as legitimate but then going onto social media to talk up a hypothetical fight Vs Alex is upsetting to me. I am not saying he is afraid of Tom but it definitely comes across that he is selectively trying to curate a good on paper record whilst ducking out of the prospect of any truly risky fights

The risk is too much to fight Aspinall. That currently is the hardest fight he can make. So he thinks it's not worth it. He'd rather fight Poatan and make a lot of money.

It’s clear to me Jones doesn’t have it in him to test himself against the best. If he was confident, he’d be taking on Aspinall, no questions asked. I’ve never seen a belt holder run from a challenge as much as Jones. His ducking really does hurt his “legacy”. So far it seems like UFC is ok with this.

Back