Why so few elbows in Kyokushin?

Are there spinning elbows or spinning backfists like muay thai thaught in kyokushin or other knockdown karate styles?

Are there spinning elbows or spinning backfists like muay thai thaught in kyokushin or other knockdown karate styles?

thread necromancy?

yes. (like I told you before in the other thread). It is not a formal basic technique, but it (they) are commonly taught as a advanced technique or technique variation (a spinning elbow/backfist is after all only a side elbow/backfist performed with a turning step, much like the ushiro geri is actually formally a kick backward, but done with a turning step since the opponent seldom stands behind you -so you turn your back towards him).
They are not allowed in competition though (except in the shinken shobu ruleset, and similar minor competition systems), as elbows have the same restriction as fists, of only being allowed to hitting below the neck. I have several video instructionals where they are taught, but sadly I cannot find any of them on youtube or similar.

I believe that the old martial arts is based on a very theoretical understanding. Theoretically when you try to elbow someone you give up a grappling advantage. Advantage in grappling when the fight is a life and death situation is severe. Advantage practically means your dead.

Back