Why Music today sux horribad

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by MadSquabbles500, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Black Belt

yeah I havent followed them or underground music in general in a long. Around that time 2007-2010 I used to look at pitchfork all the time to find new indie music. Where do you find all this music you listen? especially indie music. I have no idea about all the stuff I have missed for so long.

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  2. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

There are a few ways...usually through checking review sites (not really pitchfork these days) and checking stuff that sound interesting, some of my favs would be -

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/reviews/albums
    https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/reviews/albums
    http://thequietus.com/reviews
    https://thevinylfactory.com/category/features/

Sometimes one thing on youtube will lead you down a rabbit hole of good stuff. Spotify has a discover thing but it rarely gives me anything I don't already know.

https://rateyourmusic.com/ is good too, you can set custom charts for any year, by genre, by sub-genre etc.

Or else word of mouth, stuff my mates are into.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  3. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Black Belt

Thanks alot, man. I really had no idea where to look. I'll have to catch up on all the music I've missed! I'm actually starting a musical project with a friend who is into newer bands like tame impala and DIIV, so I can't just listen to old fogey music anymore lol

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  4. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

Sounds cool man, big fan of tame impala, pond, melodys echo chamber etc. as well too, would love to hear more about your project when it comes to fruition.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  5. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Black Belt

will do! I'm checking out melody's echo chamber right now and it sounds very cool!

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  6. moreorless87

moreorless87 First In The Phone Book

Actually I would argue the reverse, cooperate pop music has been mostly bad for a very long time,. Whats actually changed is that the indepenant scene that used to get good music noticed a decent amount has been bought out and controlled by the big lables and used to plus a lot of bland music, the process really started in the late 90's and has only gotten worse since then.

Theres still good music out there but I think its gotten much harder to find now than it was 20+ years ago.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    therealdope likes this.
  7. Violent Violin

Violent Violin G String Platinum Member

Music was better when they let ugly people make it.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  8. Brodels

Brodels Low IQ Trump & Kavanaugh Supporter

Just picked up a few more albums that came out recently. Still great shit coming out all the time. One of those is an All Them Witches album. Haven't listened yet, but I'm confident it'll be good.

The new Slash album (minus one song) is good, the new High on Fire album kicks ass, the new The Sword album is good. Ghostland Observatory finally put a new one out recently and it's pretty different from past albums, but I like it. If you're into chill psychedelic rock Circles Around the Sun has a new one out as well. It has a former member of The Black Crowes in it named Neal Casal.

The new Dave Matthews album is horrible though. I've loved every single album they've put out except for Everyday. But even it was ok live. But this new one sucks balls.

9. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Nirvana is the fatal blow for pop music.

Blue_Lou likes this.
  10. 560ti

560ti Purple Belt

This x100

Arena near my house you use to have to be top 100 in the world at your art/instrument to perform there (acts like the eagles, dire strait, eric clapton, the police, metallica, tom petty and the heartbreakers).

That same arena PRESENT day is basically a bunch of auto-tuned artist that have a few popular youtube videos.........

11. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Mainstream music caters to women and homosexuals. If you don't have a pussy or like to suck cock, it won't resonate with you.

12. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Really? I remember Nirvana being more so of a "fatal blow" to the likes of Guns 'n' Roses, hair metal, and the likes. They had no affect whatsoever on pop music.

13. TeTe

TeTe Troll Whisperer Staff Member Senior Moderator

If it's any consolation, the new Greta Van Fleet album comes out on the 19th.

14. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Black Belt

Popularity of the current wave of spoken word rap(?) i dont understand. Believe the cause is the current crop of youth not understanding the complexities involved in music. Leading to such simplicity becoming popular among them.

15. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

some of the best music ever has been simple

16. cocksure

cocksure Red Belt

As time passes the great pieces of music from each decade live on, the detritus is forgotten.

17. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

How are we defining pop music? In the 90s, I think we had several styles of POP. I always thought of Limp bizkit, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins as pop music.