Why Music today sux horribad

People are increasingly dumb and obnoxious and music is just changing to cater to them.

It was also trending this way in the late 80s/early 90s, everything was poppy dancey dumbed-down music. Then Nirvana came around. What we need is a modern guitar renaissance.

Still Awaiting the next big reveal.

- Guy develops a computer orogram that creates its own pop song (music and human sounding voice)

-Guy convinces local radio station to play it, but stating that he wrote the music and an undiscovered talent did the vocals.

- Station plays it. People start calling un to request it more often.

-Guy releases it on a streaming service or on Apple music.

- becomes a catchy hit for the summer.

- During the big reveal on a night time talk show being hosted by a guy named Jimmy, the computer programmer shows up with his desktop computer and shiws the world they were all duped.

- no need for pop divas. Computers are cheaper and sent fodder for the tabloids.

I obtained 51 new albums in 2017 and 26 so far in 2018. Newer and older bands. Just search for similar artists to what you already like, and check album release dates. You can go down a new band rabbit hole on youtube after searching a band you like. Plenty of suggestions will be on the side. Or subscribe to channels of genres you like.

Musicians used to love to jam, and actually CREATE MUSIC. Now, we have less real musicians and more supposed "artists" who want to become famous and MAKE MONEY. Execs have cookie cutter molds that they put the Areola Grande, Smiley Virus, or Katy Perineum types into and pump out the latest electronically assisted pop hit.

Hate Taylor Swift or her music all that you want but she's been writing songs, singing, and playing instruments since she was a kid. She can play banjo, guitar, and piano. She's a musician. I don't think that she'll be remembered along with the likes of Jimi Hendrix but at least she may lead some more girls to pick up a guitar and put in time practicing instead of dreaming of being an auto-tune sensation.

Couldnt even tell you what "mainstream" music is out right now. It has been garbage for decades. This is nothing new.

Im never in a car anymore so I dont hear what people listen to but its mostly just catchy simple shit which isn't bad its the satanic subliminal messages that suck

I only really listen to the one playlist I have or my pandora stations and its all mostly progressive house techno music with really positive vibes and saxaphone solos and some flutes

I dont care about popular music at ALL. I dont pay attention to it. Dont care if it dies a horrible death. The kind of music you wanna listen to is out there,if you have the mind to look for it.

giphy.gif

hey life aint yeezy
It kinda is, though...

It's all about marketing, it's how Britney Spears became a star when she literally couldn't sing

As much as I love say white soul singer Allen Stone, it's hard to market a guy that looks like a literal Civil War Lieutenant on a hipster fad

Britney Spears maybe not a great singer, but she could sing good enough for her catchy songs. And she had plenty of catchy songs that the masses liked.

Britney Spears maybe not a great singer, but she could sing good enough for her catchy songs. And she had plenty of catchy songs that the masses liked.
Diana Ross didn’t get the job because she was the best singer...

Wouldn't say it's better, but it's as good as it's ever been.

I enjoyed them but the first one probably had some light auto tune and if you compare the second one to the song I posted, the guitar playing is pretty rudimentary, on the solo anyway. I just don't think people are as good musicians or song writers anymore. Sure there are alot of "technical" people on youtube but alot of them don't write very interesting music. I also find alot of music today is derivative and not doing much new. Most of all I just don't find the music to be as memorable. The 60's 70's and 80s were just special time. at some point after that people dropped the ball.

I enjoyed them but the first one probably had some light auto tune and if you compare the second one to the song I posted, the guitar playing is pretty rudimentary, on the solo anyway. I just don't think people are as good musicians or song writers anymore. Sure there are alot of "technical" people on youtube but alot of them don't write very interesting music. I also find alot of music today is derivative and not doing much new. Most of all I just don't find the music to be as memorable.

Well I deliberately gave you something reminiscent of the 70s soul stuff, didn't want to give you something completely different. That stuff is deliberately derivative. But I mean music in the past was very derivative of older blues, r&b etc. as well. Music builds off stuff that came before.

I used to only listen to older music, and a lot of my favourite artists are from the past, but in the past few years I have realised there is good music in the time period I liked (50s-70s mostly), there was good music after that (starting getting into loads of 80s stuff) and there is good music now too. There has always been, and continues to be good music. Here's a handful of great stuff this year imo (sticking to 2018 only):

I think people are every bit as good song writers now as then (definitely not talking about the pop top 40 of course), you are just stuck in the past a bit (not a knock, I used to be mostly same)...how old are you jimmy jazz if you don't mind my asking?

Well I deliberately gave you something reminiscent of the 70s soul stuff, didn't want to give you something completely different. That stuff is deliberately derivative. But I mean music in the past was very derivative of older blues, r&b etc. as well. Music builds off stuff that came before.

I used to only listen to older music, and a lot of my favourite artists are from the past, but in the past few years I have realised there is good music in the time period I liked (50s-70s mostly), there was good music after that (starting getting into loads of 80s stuff) and there is good music now too. There has always been, and continues to be good music. Here's a handful of great stuff this year imo (sticking to 2018 only):

I think people are every bit as good song writers now as then (definitely not talking about the pop top 40 of course), you are just stuck in the past a bit (not a knock, I used to be mostly same)...how old are you jimmy jazz if you don't mind my asking?
I listened to those tracks. They were cool. I don't really follow indie music anymore. I'm 30 unfortunately lol. how about you?

I listened to those tracks. They were cool. I don't really follow indie music anymore. I'm 30 unfortunately lol. how about you?

I'm 23, a wee bit younger anyway lol, was near expecting you to say you were 50 though lol

I'm 23, a wee bit younger anyway lol, was near expecting you to say you were 50 though lol
lol nah, I guess I'm not that old! I hope you enjoy those prime years, because those are the best. I remember when the dirty projectors first came out. I saw Atlas Sound around that time, and at one point their gear got lost or something. So the Dirty Projectors lent Bradford Cox their gear. They sounded a bit different lol.

lol nah, I guess I'm not that old! I hope you enjoy those prime years, because those are the best. I remember when the dirty projectors first came out. I saw Atlas Sound around that time, and at one point their gear got lost or something. So the Dirty Projectors lent Bradford Cox their gear. They sounded a bit different lol.

Yeah Dirty Projectors are pretty experimental haha. I love them though, best stuff was bitte orca from 2009, bit different now though because two of the main members left (the lovely voices of Olga Bell and Amber Coffman). New album is pretty solid though, few great tracks, wasn't as fussed on the last one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back