why isnt iowa a hot bed for mma gyms

Militech fighting systems was the shit for a while but just sorta disappeared

They have good advertising, not sure why more people don’t live there.

5DD0882A-B1E5-4828-AC2E-25D047B118A7.jpeg

Do ppl from Iowa actually stay in Iowa ? What’s the economy like there ? Is it an exciting place for young adults to live ?

Back home in Canada, there are a few provinces where young ppl gtfo as soon as they are old enough to become independent. They head to the more economically stable provinces.

Downturns in the oil industry in particular can affect that. But, ppl move to Alberta from all over Canada to work in the oil industry. And, pretty much every other job is related to it in one way, or another. The guy flipping burgers at McDonalds gets paid $15/hr... It’s the MINIMUM wage. And there is NO provincial sales tax.
Saskatchewan and Manitoba are Canada's Iowa and Idaho.
1492121004551s.jpg

Because people are sick of seeing these boring wrestlers come in and stink up fight cards. The LnP wrassler era is over, let's keep it that way.

Because the wrestlers can just move to Illinois or Wisconsin and get amazing MMA training if they really want it. They both border Iowa, and wrestlers are used to traveling around anyways. Miguel Torres has a couple of gyms in the Chicago area, Milwaukee has Roufusport, Gilbert Grappling's an underrated gym that produced Chase Beebe and Clay Guida.
Iowa's a really spacious place; Des Moines is the biggest city in the state, and it has a little over a third of the population of Albuquerque (Greg Jackson's gym city), and it's located right in Iowa's center. So that means there's a long expanse of little towns and doldrums separating it from everywhere else. The next biggest place is, like, Cedar Rapids, which is even smaller than my city. I'm pretty sure Iowa's also a pretty community-oriented place, so even if you live in some tiny town, you don't necessarily want to move far away from your family even if it's to pursue your dreams, moreso than in other places, so that discourages people from planting those early seeds of social-discontent that lead to combat sports "I'm traveling around the world just to be a better martial artist"-success.
Gyms typically build up at least somewhat near places where you can get fights, and Iowa doesn't really have anything like that. Fight promoters aren't gonna see the financial upsides of having an event in Shepherdston, Iowa or wherever if an event in Des Moines doesn't do great. Even Bellator-- the king of events in all the forgotten areas that the UFC is never gonna go to-- hasn't been to Des Moines, and they've only been to Iowa a few times in general, and they were small events that only filled the arena to, like, half capacity.

Wrestling's a different story when it comes to a lot of that stuff since it's an amateur sport, and I think there's a history of it in Iowa for why it's so successful there that's unique to it. Besides that, success in one sport doesn't automatically mean that everyone's gonna want to transition to MMA. There's this kind of bullshit idea a lot of people have where they think that shootfighting is the ultimate accomplishment in sport and any other even vaguely-similar pursuit in any kind of martial arts discipline is a poor cousin compared to it, but it's just not how it is. Cael Sanderson could give a fuck about being a UFC champion; wrestling is his passion. And if Ben Askren had won the gold I doubt we ever would've seen him fighting.
So wrestlers aren't all just going to want to transition to MMA, and they really shouldn't, and those elite Iowa wrestlers don't really have any reason to transition to MMA unless they want to fight. They know enough about competition to know that they've gotta be committed if they want to see any upside to it, too; being the Titan FC champion after a few years of training isn't gonna reap them so much more benefits than sticking with wrestling that it's the obvious next step.

I heard from several people that McDonald's workers were getting over $30/hour and the managers still couldn't find employees because the cost of living in Fort MacMurray was so expensive that $30/hour wasn't nearly enough for people to survive out there. Someone once told me it was $36/hour.

Not disagreeing with you, just sharing a tidbit. I know the rest of Alberta doesn't have the same economic climate as Fort Mac.

Fort Mac is a different story.

That’s why most workers live in camps. Or their companies pay for other accommodations. Most of the ppl I’ve ever known in the patch. Stayed in camps, stayed on the leases, or lived in other places altogether, and went home almost every night ( Truck drivers ). And, I spent many years in the patch.

You can’t compare Fort Mac to anywhere else in Canada most likely. The cost of living is too high except for the rich, or ppl that bought homes a long time ago. Because accommodations is the biggest expense in that city. So, it only makes sense for the oil companies to have their own way of accommodating their workers. Alot of them even get flown in on the company’s dollar.

But, I understand what your point was.

EDIT...

And when talking about the minimum wage. You can get a decent apt in pretty much any city in Alberta not named Fort McMurray, on that $15/hr wage. Even if you’re single. But, the fact that places like restaurants, stores, etc can’t get ppl in Fort Mac at even $30/hr. Shows you aren’t going to get you a place to live there, on that wage. I’d bet most of the workers in those jobs are immigrants from Asia. And, likely have 8 of them living in a two bedroom apt. And, that’s not an insult. I’ve just known ppl that have done it.

Huge sectors of the economy, and work forces in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge, The Hat, and Grande Prairie, as well as many much smaller communities. Are still mostly being driven by Oil. And, it trickles down... The restaurants, stores, construction, IT, almost everything is related even if completely indirectly, to oil.

Last edited:
Because people are sick of seeing these boring wrestlers come in and stink up fight cards. The LnP wrassler era is over, let's keep it that way.

thats where you are ignorant you arnt seeing it no more due to the game evolving and guys are getting better with takedown defense but the breakdown game pinning is getting better luckly so well see more wrestle fucking again

the best wrestling in the country just about and no top camps there anymore or fighters coming out of there i find that strange

Its not the best wrestling. Its good wrestling for the population and used to have a top college program. Pennsylvania, ohio, cali, illinois are all better.

There's even less money in New Mexico but that doesn't prevent that state from having one of the best MMA gyms in the country.

New investment money is being used to develop Albuquerque (NM) but generally not to Iowa or any of its many bustling cultural hotspots.

The money from established industries in Iowa may average out statewide to look nice on a simple chart, but that doesn't tell the true story.

MFS used to be one of the best camps in the entire world. Pat went away and a lot of the fighters retired.

the best wrestling in the country just about and no top camps there anymore or fighters coming out of there i find that strange
Just noticed ATT St. Petersburg, FL

on my way to buy feeder fish for my predatory fish tank tonight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back