why isnt iowa a hot bed for mma gyms

I heard from several people that McDonald's workers were getting over $30/hour and the managers still couldn't find employees because the cost of living in Fort MacMurray was so expensive that $30/hour wasn't nearly enough for people to survive out there. Someone once told me it was $36/hour.

Not disagreeing with you, just sharing a tidbit. I know the rest of Alberta doesn't have the same economic climate as Fort Mac.
So like $7 an hour in real money?

The real question is why there aren't more top camps in Daghestan?

What kind of fish? I used to keep some oscars and a bass.
I had an Oscar when I was young. Was about 8 inches long and used to just inhale goldfish. I moved onto piranhas.
No more fish for me until I retire. Then a saltwater tanker with a live reef.

It's hard to have a real top camp if you're not in a place that a lot of top level fighters wouldn't mind moving to. Either the place needs to be big enough to have a lot going for it or the weather needs to be nice. Not trying to knock the state, but Iowa doesn't exactly shine in those categories. Miletich Fighting Systems overcame the drawbacks by being pioneers in the field, establishing themselves when there weren't as many alternatives.

Or Oklahoma. Why is fighting sucks relativity for them, most of these wrestlers graduate with degrees can get a real job with a future. Rather than indie circuit for $300 a fight get busted up lose marketability because no one is hiring a 30 yr old graduated 8 yrs ago washed up fighter. Then on top of all this not every wrestler can be a fighter. Takes a special person that doesn't mind taking licks day in and day out which is way different than wrestling.

Why do you think gold medalists in wrestling arnt flocking to MMA? Even in Iran, Turkey, Russia where economy sucks they don't. Not everyone can take being punched in the face. Fighters are born I think not made even by wrestling 20 yrs.

Last edited:
Who the he'll wants to stay in Iowa? Wrestlers go there to wrestle and then gtfo. Like most of middle and rural America its a place where dreams go to die. You move or stay there because you can't afford a better life or you're trying to die quietly in God's arms.

I'm not trying to be callous but these are not hot spots for people trying to make something of themselves.

Also, lets be honest, these places partially exist because they provide incentive for kids who were raised there to join the military. People tend to avoid the military when they have other options. One of the common reasons enlistees give for signing up is that there were no jobs available where they're from and they can get financial aid for school. Its not because of patriotism.

Iowa wrestling is like joining the military. You do your time and scram.

It’s 2018. Iowa hasn’t been a wrestling hotbed in 20 years. This post would make more sense if you said PA

New investment money is being used to develop Albuquerque (NM) but generally not to Iowa or any of its many bustling cultural hotspots.

Money is money. And there's more of it in Iowa than in New Mexico. Individual Iowans have more of it than individual New Mexicans, and the state of Iowa has more money running through its economy than does the state of New Mexico.

Seed money for something as small as a MMA gym can come from anywhere at anytime and go to any place.

Albuquerque is larger than Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, but I doubt that has much of an impact on funding for MMA gyms. It's probably a simple and better explanation to say that fighters find Albuquerque more attractive because they can get elevation training in milder winters than would fighters training in Iowa.

Money is money. And there's more of it in Iowa than in New Mexico. Individual Iowans have more of it than individual New Mexicans, and the state of Iowa has more money running through its economy than does the state of New Mexico.

Seed money for something as small as a MMA gym can come from anywhere at anytime and go to any place.

Albuquerque is larger than Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, but I doubt that has much of an impact on funding for MMA gyms. It's probably a simple and better explanation to say that fighters find Albuquerque more attractive because they can get elevation training in milder winters than would fighters training in Iowa.

Yep, it's location, climate, etc.

That and that no one wants to move to Iowa

Because you would have to live in Iowa. If you have the choice between living and training near the beach In either sunny California or Florida with hot women and plenty of things to do, or staying in Mulletville, Iowa, that decision pretty much makes itself.

There are better gyms in the midwest that aren't so far away that you can't travel is my guess.

Do ppl from Iowa actually stay in Iowa ? What’s the economy like there ? Is it an exciting place for young adults to live ?

I was born there. It's a great place to work if you're a meth dealer. Also the women are fat and toothless

I am not sure the best wrestling is still in Iowa.

Plus, once wrestlers' careers are over, they get a corporate job like the rest of us all.

Because all the best fighters/wrestlers in Iowa want to get out of Iowa and all the best fighters/wrestlers outside of Iowa don't want to go to Iowa.

Back