Why is Bill Browder banned from America...

PolishHeadlock

Putin Belt
Banned
Reaction score

http://amp.nationalreview.com/corner/452978/why-bill-browder-banned-america

Vladimir Putin keeps putting William Browder on Interpol’s wanted list, or trying to. As far as I’m concerned, these attempts are the equivalent of medals of freedom.

Remember who Browder is: He is the financier whose lawyer was Sergei Magnitsky, who became a prisoner of the Russian state and was tortured to death — real slow. Thereafter, Browder dedicated himself to the cause of justice in Russia.

“My grandfather was the biggest Communist in America, and I was the biggest capitalist in Russia,” he likes to say. His grandfather was indeed Earl Browder, the head of the CPUSA. His father was Felix Browder, a math genius.

In 2012, the U.S. Congress passed the Magnitsky Act, which targets Russian human-rights abusers: It freezes their assets and deprives them of visas. Boris Nemtsov called the Magnitsky Act “the most pro-Russian law ever enacted by a foreign government.” (Nemtsov was the leader of the opposition to Putin in Russia. In 2015, he was murdered within sight of the Kremlin.)

The Magnitsky Act drives Putin nuts. It means that his men can’t act as they always have, i.e., with impunity. Now there are consequences, which is a problem for Putin. Four countries have Magnitsky acts: the U.S., Britain, Estonia, and now Canada. (They passed theirs last week.)

Browder is a driver behind these Magnitsky acts, and Putin hates him for it, understandably. Twice in 2013, he tried to add Browder to Interpol’s wanted list, and twice he failed, because Interpol knew that Putin was politically motivated. Browder is not a criminal. He is an anti-criminal, which is why Putin targets him........

Currently on Interpol's list?

How's this for a farce - Russia accusing Browder of murdering Magnitsky -

Turning Tables in Magnitsky Case, Russia Accuses a Nemesis of Murder

MOSCOW — The case of Sergei L. Magnitsky, the Russian tax lawyer who was imprisoned in 2008 on false charges and died in jail, began as a tragedy. But now, after years of sanctions, countersanctions, bitter feuds and one noteworthy meeting in Trump Tower, the case seems to be entering the realm of farce.

Mr. Magnitsky, who worked for William F. Browder, a hedge fund manager who was once the largest foreign portfolio investor in Russia, was jailed on tax evasion charges while unraveling a $230 million government tax “refund” that Russian officials had fraudulently granted themselves. He died in prison after being beaten and denied medical care, earning the Kremlin widespread condemnation.

Mr. Browder, who was living in London at the time, began lobbying Western governments to punish those responsible for Mr. Magnitsky’s death, an effort that bore fruit when the United States, Estonia and most recently, Canada, imposed sanctions on Russians involved in Mr. Magnitsky’s death.

That campaign touched off a nasty confrontation with the Kremlin, and the two sides have been trying ever since to undermine the credibility of the other. Recently, however, Russian prosecutors have taken that effort to a remarkable new level, claiming that Mr. Magnitsky was actually murdered by Mr. Browder.

A powerful law enforcement organization, the Investigative Committee of the Prosecutor General’s Office, is investigating Mr. Magnitsky’s death as a murder, presenting as evidence what it says are intercepted communications from Western intelligence agencies.

The theory was first floated in a documentary broadcast on Russian state television last year, but widely brushed off as crude propaganda. It seemed aimed, as with many Russian disinformation campaigns, at muddying the waters around the issue without necessarily claiming to be credible.
The new accusation is made all the more sinister for its absurd and at times cartoonish details.

Prosecutors contend that Mr. Browder had colluded with an agent of Britain’s foreign intelligence agency, MI6, “to cause the death of S. L. Magnitsky,” by persuading Russian prison doctors to withhold care.

The motive, according to what prosecutors said were intelligence intercepts, was to start a scandal, or “a significant news trigger to discredit the Russian Federation in the eyes of the international community.”

While they were about it, the prosecutors used the so-called intercepts, written in grammatically flawed English, to wrap into the plot two other Kremlin nemeses — Grigory A. Yavlinsky and Aleksei A. Navalny, prominent Russian opposition politicians. The supposed scheme was called Operation Quake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/22/world/europe/russia-sergei-magnitsky-william-browder.html

Given Browder was just successfully added to Interpol Wanted List by Russia (screwed up system allows any country who is part of it to add anybody) , I'm wondering if it is just standard State Department procedure to automatically pull the visa of anybody on that list and that once they realize who they revoked in this instance it will be re-issued.

We'll see I guess.

Also interesting factoid on Browder is that he was born in Chicago to UK Parents, but gave up American citizenship in 1996 to avoid paying taxes on his foreign income.

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll get a straight and honest answer from the State Department!

Better question: why does he want to go to Africa?

If Bill Browder is on Putin's little list, then it just a matter of time before we dont ever hear from this man again.

This is interesting.

https://www.rt.com/news/366281-interpol-russian-chinese-head/

Prokopchuk becomes the first Russian official to hold the position of the Interpol vice president for Europe. Russia (as part of the USSR at the time) joined the agency in 1990.

The head of Interpol’s National Central Bureau (NCB) in Moscow, Major General Prokopchuk has 30 years’ experience of working in law enforcement. During his career he has fought economic and tax crimes and money laundering, according to RIA Novosti.

Interpol rejected Russia's request to put Browder on their list the first 4 times they tried but now a Russian is of the agency and he gets put on...

>In 2012, the U.S. Congress passed the Magnitsky Act, which targets Russian human-rights abusers: It freezes their assets and deprives them of visas.

not going to do a bunch of research, but it sounds like hes been accused of human rights abuses. were not obligated to shelter anti-russian people who arent american citizens. not really our problem, so we dont let in potential bad guys

the article is written as if hes innocent, i dont know if he is or isnt, but that doesnt make him our responsibility

>In 2012, the U.S. Congress passed the Magnitsky Act, which targets Russian human-rights abusers: It freezes their assets and deprives them of visas.

not going to do a bunch of research, but it sounds like hes been accused of human rights abuses. were not obligated to shelter anti-russian people who arent american citizens. not really our problem, so we dont let in potential bad guys

the article is written as if hes innocent, i dont know if he is or isnt, but that doesnt make him our responsibility
Magnitsky Act is what Donnie Trump Jr. claimed he thought he was meeting that Russian chick about during the campaign. Trump Sr. even brushed off the meeting saying it was about "Russian Adoptions".

Now all of a sudden Russia makes up some crazy ass story about how Browder was the real killer and Trump WH pulls his visa? Browder testified in front of Congressional Committees during Trump/Russia Investigation IIRC.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read in the WR.

Back