Why haven't we seen Donald Cerrone reach that elite fighter class ever?

My short answer is that he's overrated, but that warrants a longer answer.

He's a very good fighter, just not elite IMO.
He's tough with great skills, it's just that there are always a few better fighters than him at any give time.

He's a world beater against anyone outside the top 10 but doesn't historically do well against top fighters at the top of their game.

You mentioned him winning the 3rd Benson fight--well yeah but he lost the first 2.
He's 0-2 against RDA.

He's beaten lots of guys who have been in the 5 to 15 ranking range, but rarely does he beat a top 5.

I guess what I'm saying is that he's not one of the 5 best fighters at 170 or 155.

He is elite. Was big nog not elite during PRIDE because he couldn't beat Fedor?

Masvidal is the first person who wasn't a champ that lost to in a while.

his striking style isnt good for mma but enough to beat lower level guys like alvarez (very overrated fghter) and others. that benson win was a gift from the judges. he has a 1-dimensional approach, never shoots for a takedown, just a kickboxer with some grappling from the bottom.

What a silly thing to say. Like, literally all of it.

Most of the time , he folded under the pressure of a big fight ( crept for Lawler fight ) and always had s weak midsection ( susceptible to body shots) . Also Doesn't fight well out of rhythm and off his back foot .

He has a lot of skills, but is not very good at combining them consistently. He is not very strategic, and has a bad tendency to burn himself out,

Cerrone has been a fan favorite for a long time and he has big wins over former champions like Alvarez in his first UFC fight and Benson in the third of their trilogy... but for some reason he's never won a championship himself despite IMO being an elite striker and submission grappling that's second-to-none at LW and WW. Why's he never made it?

You answered the question in your title....he isn't elite. He's very good but always chokes when it comes to showing he's great. He has terrible defence and seems to bottle it when it really matters. Maybe he needs a sports psychologist and Roger Mayweather.

What a silly thing to say. Like, literally all of it.
please explain why you disagree. im curious. i said nothing controversial or opinon-based, all ive said is widely accepted or obvious.

He is elite

Looks at his resume.

How many good fighters has he destroyed.

Not everyone can be a champ but he's had some amazing runs and is HOF.

I would say a combination of lack of boxing defense and physical talent. The latter is what screwed him vs Bendo 8 years ago.

Hes in the top 10 in his weight class in the world....how the fuck is that not elite

Mental thing. You push him, or pressure him, he crumbles. And has a shit poker face. Gives away that hes hurt so easily. All GOATS in all combat sports have had amazing poker faces.

Mental thing. You push him, or pressure him, he crumbles. And has a shit poker face. Gives away that hes hurt so easily. All GOATS in all combat sports have had amazing poker faces.

Yes that coveted quality amongst all fighters of having a 'poker face'. GTFOH you gay.

He's a poor mans Carlos condit. In a better division.

Luck is a factor. You win some you lose some, sometimes that fight you win is a title fight, sometimes it's not.
I mean, he did beat Alvarez and Bendo. Just happens that they weren't champs at the time.
Could probably have beaten them in a title fight too, and then we wouldn't have threads like this.

Last edited:
Lacks defense, prone to body shots and fights too often, sometimes at the top you need to pick your battles and make gameplans, going all out each time can fail.

He drinks bud light. He needs some IPA or Belgium beers to reach elite level

He is an elite fighter. There are more elite fighters than just the current champion by a division.

Great point! If we are being serious everyone in the top ten of each division is elite. They are the ten best guys in the world even in a young sport thy are elite.

But alas this sherdog so every fighter Is a can or bum lol

P

Back