Why hasn't Europe or Asia had more success in UFC/MMA?

The reason is simple.

USA excels at sports that practically noone else plays. American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey. Doesn't matter where you're from, you are going to have to move to the US (or Canada, before any flappy heads get all upset) to play these sports at any decent level.

MMA is still a fairly niche sport and is only recently making tracks away from this. As a result, more fighters from other countries are getting into it, and doing well. Most good camps are still in the US however, as they were the ones that have actually been established for any decent amount of time.

I agree very much with this.

Let other countries have 20+ or 30+ years of MMA experience so veterans and long time students of the game can establish gyms and build students in their country of origin.

America and Brasil kind of had a head start in that regard.

But so has Japanese and they are struggling to keep up with almost any other country in MMA so it makes you wonder.

The reason is simple.

USA excels at sports that practically noone else plays. American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey. Doesn't matter where you're from, you are going to have to move to the US (or Canada, before any flappy heads get all upset) to play these sports at any decent level.

MMA is still a fairly niche sport and is only recently making tracks away from this. As a result, more fighters from other countries are getting into it, and doing well. Most good camps are still in the US however, as they were the ones that have actually been established for any decent amount of time.

You make it sound like if the US stopped playing our sports you mentioned, we couldn't find success in soccer, cricket or other shit.

We have enough athletic talent, sport infrastructure and money here...import some South American and European coaching talent and we'd do well in soccer eventually. The problem is that those other sports DO exist here.

Russia and Poland are extremely competitive when it comes to MMA.

You can put Ireland on the same sentence.

And Singapore is the hot bed for MMA in Asia.

She lives and trains in Florida. Look at her weight class. Look at the top ten. It's all Americans and Brazilians that she's fighting, one other polish chick. And most other weight classes are the same thing But again, why are you guys posting pictures of anomalies? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. A couple special fighters from Ireland, and Poland, and UK, but other than that, they don't have a system. A foundation of talent and gyms. Look at Brazil. They pop out a new Brazilian contender every week.
KSW fighters are top notch, and may even rival American and Brazilian talents.

Poland and Russia are neck in neck with America and Brazil.

I'm actually surprised how much success it has (looking at the current champs) given the fact that it is not too common around here.

Ng'gannou's in America.(Don't know where.) Bisping's in America,(California) Joanna's in America (FLorida,) Schevhenko in America (lives in Houston,) don't know about Volkan. But do you not understand the main point that I'm making?
the point you are making has been shot to shit.

You count eastern euros that move to the US as "US fighters" , but the reality is that UFC is where the money is at , so it make sense to move where the money/PR/fights are , you either count where they came from or you dont , where they are NOW is just a sign of money nothing else.
Same as in Soccer the best play in europe , it doesn't mean that other countries dont have a talented base of players , it just that their local leagues and competition is at a lower level due to money being in europe.

No big MMA company in Europe (Bamma still alive?)

ACB is the 3. biggest Promotion (regarding amount of fighters and events) right now I think.
KSW had this year a stadium show with 58 000 people.
BAMMA and Cage Warriors are not that bad,too.
Venator isn't that big but still doing a good job in Italy.

But in general, there just isn't a big interest in MMA in Europe, except Poland, Ireland and maybe a bit in UK (Russia is a different chapter). I think in a lot of countries it's still seen as a barbaric sport. In France you can't even hold MMA-events (a shame, when you see what talent there is).
So there aren't much countries where the bigger organisations could expand and take talent from.

To change this kind of things you have to arouse normal peoples interest in MMA . BAMMA and KSW are doing this with "freak fights" like Aaron Chalmers or Popek Monster and Robert Burneika. A lot of hardcores complaining about it, but in my opinion it really helps and they wouldn't do it when it wouldn't generate a lot of money.

Also I think european organisations should start to cooperate more, BAMMA and KSW are setting up something I believe, but I dont how big this cooperation will be.

UFC isn't helping either with giving europe shitty cards and barely avertising it.

in USA and Brazil there are more tainted supplements?

maybe that´s the real reason

jokes aside:

japanese fighters are cutting less water weight (IDK why)

and

their fight filosophy does not adapt so well to the unified rules of MMA / point fighting

IMHO

Well me.being english I can say that ib my area there is not many mma clubs there popping up more now in last 5 year but it has never been huge. I think the more popular it becomes the more stars will emerge.

Early on european strikera would struggle as wrestlers just take them down amd lie on them. Now though we have many fighters coming through and as they get better they move to america to improve as its obvious usa has better facilities. In time though we will have more stars coming through and this is already happening i.e till, gunnar, gustaffson, bispin, mcgregor. I expect more fighters in nwct 5-10 year

Because these guys completely ignore MMA, while American wrestlers don't:

Last edited:
UK and Russia dominate boxing. But it hasn't translated to MMA. What is it, the camps, lack of training facilities, lack of wrestling, what? US and Brazil are still running everything.
Asians r also dominating in boxing. Particularly in the lower weight divisons. As of right now, it's the Japanese are having all the big major boxing world titles. Some might get mad and deny it because Japanese r Asians, but it's the truth.

Nam Phan
Korean Zombie
The Leech guy
Stun Gun
small Stun Gun
Karate Hottie
Kevin Lee
Kevin lee isn't Asian though... Lol. Not lie, he actually kinda looks blasian, but I don't think he is.

Of course there's bunch of good mma fighters from Europe and Asia. But I gotta say Europe it s up there more when it comes to the UFC.

UK and Russia dominate boxing. But it hasn't translated to MMA. What is it, the camps, lack of training facilities, lack of wrestling, what? US and Brazil are still running everything.

Have you considered the fact that most UFC events are held in US, in front of US crowd and US judges? Im not saying it explains it all, but "hometown" advantage is real and significant in every sport, no reason to believe it does not exist at all in MMA.

Russia / ex-USSR used to dominate PRIDE and other MMA orgs before the UFC took over the global MMA scene.

Fedor, Alex, Igor, Sergei, Andrei were the toughest and most feared fighters in the world. Now they are old and the new generation isn't as good.

Similarly Brazil dominated the UFC for a while, with champions in almost every division. That has changed as well since guys like Anderson, Rua, Machida, Nog bros etc are past their prime.

Now it's USA's time to shine but this is not the end of the road - fighters will fade, times will change and you may see another country dominate. Hell, you could even say that Eastern Europe is taking over WMMA with Joanna, Karolina and Albu all sitting at the very top.

Back