Why hasn't Europe or Asia had more success in UFC/MMA?

1. The UFC is an American company, so a majorty of fighters are American (South america included)

2. MMA is more developped in America than anywhere else, better infrastructures, camps, sparrings etc.
It's like football (soccer) in Europe : Why all the best players in the word play/train in Europe ?

3. MMA is growing in Europe and there are a lot of good fighters in Russia : watch KSW, ACB, fights nights etc. Most of the top guys could compete in the UFC easily

I agree very much with this.

Let other countries have 20+ or 30+ years of MMA experience so veterans and long time students of the game can establish gyms and build students in their country of origin.

America and Brasil kind of had a head start in that regard.

But so has Japanese and they are struggling to keep up with almost any other country in MMA so it makes you wonder.

I'm pretty sure Japan is still top 5 MMA countries in the world as far as talent and amount of fighters go.

Same with the size of Olympic teams, population ratio

It's still a fringe sport in USA let alone rest of the world. You know how successful the USA college wrestlers are in UFC right? Like 75% of UFC fighters are former wrestlers. JJ Stipe Tony list goes on forever. Well best wrestlers in the world are from Turkey Iran that region yet have no interest in MMA. Khabib is a bench warmer over there and rare bird who chose UFC and look how good he is.

Last edited:
"When asked about William Shakespeare, Tony Galento replied: I ain't never hoid of him. I suppose he's one of them foreign heavyweights. They're all lousy. Sure as hell I'll moider de bum"

I'm pretty sure Japan is still top 5 MMA countries in the world as far as talent and amount of fighters go.

IMO that's because most of them stay in Japan fighting each other.

IMO that's because most of them stay in Japan fighting each other.

There's a larger and older talent pool on that small island than almost anywhere in the world. More fighters leads to more talent.

Yes, out of 8 weight classes, 2 champions in divisions filled with Brazilians and Americans. Look at the top ten in Conor's division. Conor's the only Englishman, then one Russian. That's it. Look at Bisping's division, top 10. All US and Brazil. One Australian. I'm making a point about having a structure. UK and Russia don't have. I at least assumed Russia would have one by now. I think they're getting better. Not UK though.
Dúirt an fear nach féidir ach Béarla a labhairt (translation - says the man whose only language is English :D )

There's a larger and older talent pool on that small island than almost anywhere in the world. More fighters leads to more talent.

I definitely get that, but where is this talent outside of Japan?

Khabib is a bench warmer over there and rare bird who chose UFC and look how good he is.

This. Khabib is basically a wrestling reject, no way he would prioritize MMA if he was good enough to hang with the best in Dagestan.

Imagine how good beasts like Sadulaev (world and Olympic freestyle champ who's only 21) could be, but why would they bother with MMA in its current state? They can make a good living without getting punched in the face for a shitty pay and a pair of Reebok shorts, lol.

UK and Russia dominate boxing. But it hasn't translated to MMA. What is it, the camps, lack of training facilities, lack of wrestling, what? US and Brazil are still running everything.
3 current European UFC champs 0 Asian champs(ever)

Lack of grappling training is a big factor

I definitely get that, but where is this talent outside of Japan?

Japanese fighters can usually get better deals in domestic organizations so it's not ideal for them to come to the States and fight for peanuts while being jetlagged. Also AFAIK there are no modern MMA facilities in Japan which there are dozens in North America. Even the best Japanese fighters still train in small dojos and grappling gyms.

Europe: Conor, Bisping and Joanna all champs. In the past, there was champs like Bas Rutten, Fedor, Ubereem. Currently there's a shitload of contenders in the UFC ranked in the top 10.
Asia: lacking progress since Pride folded, all the money is in pro wrestling. Shooto is mostly fake/overrated imo just like Pride.

Wrestling and Jiu jitsu rare more popular in the Americas, and despite what many say about boxing, grappling, especially wrestling seems to be a better base for mma

OP is a total moron.

Says there's no Euro success. Then when success is pointed out to him he backtracks saying most of the top Euro fighters train in USA (which many Brazilians also do), as if that would matter to European fans or the fighters considering transferring over to MMA

Also thinks McGregor is English? then says he lives in UK? Yep, moron.

Yes, out of 8 weight classes, 2 champions in divisions filled with Brazilians and Americans. Look at the top ten in Conor's division. Conor's the only Englishman, then one Russian. That's it. Look at Bisping's division, top 10. All US and Brazil. One Australian. I'm making a point about having a structure. UK and Russia don't have. I at least assumed Russia would have one by now. I think they're getting better. Not UK though.

UK and Russia dominate boxing. But it hasn't translated to MMA. What is it, the camps, lack of training facilities, lack of wrestling, what? US and Brazil are still running everything.

More opportunities to train and improve.

the same reason the US is the olympic GOAT

our competitive culture that breeds success

Conor's the only Englishman

Regardless of how valid your overall point is, you've lost a lot of credibility with this statement. No self-respecting Irishman would ever be associated with the English... and honestly that's not being pedantic, that's just basic history. To label Conor an Englishman is a huge kick in the teeth for any Irish national.

Yes, Europe has three champs right now. You know how many they have in total? FOUR. How many from the UK? TWO. (I think Ireland is UK? Or parts of it?) And they probably make up the lowest percentage of fighters in the UFC, and don't have many contenders. Russia has one I think, Arlovski? I think he's Russian. Russian's are doing better in the heavyweight division, at least in the UFC, but I thought it would have moved faster. Brazil is just a country, not continent and they have had Thirteen champs in total. Probably tripled in contenders, and they make up most of the UFC roster after America.

Why are you so terrible at geography?? No Ireland is not part of the UK... there have been many wars and conflicts over this subject... Ireland is certainly NOT part of the UK. Don't be so ignorant.

And it continues... Arlovski is Russian? No, Arlovski is Belarussian... Belarus is an independent state in Eastern Europe and not part of Russia.

At least you realize that Brazil is a country rather than a continent... good job buddy

Back