Why Don't people give a sh!t about Deontay Wilder?

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Saturdays fight kind of drew shitty ratings averaging 1.7million and peaking at 1.8 million. You would think that the 39-0 with 38 KO's American HW champion would have more eyes on him.

We live in a world were a 135lb female out earns and out draws the WBC HW champion of the world.

19cl2x.jpg

Yeah he should be doing better. Maybe it's marketing or that people didn't know his opponent. Hopefully he fights a better name here soon and it can create some buzz.

Yeah he should be doing better. Maybe it's marketing or that people didn't know his opponent. Hopefully he fights a better name here soon and it can create some buzz.

He's the first American HW to hold a major title since Shannon Briggs in 2006. You think he would be putting butts in seats

He's the first American HW to hold a major title since Shannon Briggs in 2006. You think he would be putting butts in seats
A lot of people are negative towards him I guess. While some of the complaints are justified in can't see why someone wouldn't watch him on free TV.

Bum squad has no skills to display for people to tune in and admire. He fights other bums and doesn't look good in doing so. He seems like a total piece of shit outside of the right.

Just some reasons for not watching his fights.

-He started boxing late
-His resume is very poor especially for the # of fights he has had
-People love to criticize his awkward and unorthodoxed style
-He looks very vulnerable when he gets hit
-Lots of rumors & stories about him being KO'd by top guys in training camps
-Just when he was getting a big push and creating some buzz he suffered some injuries that set him back and killed all his momentum from viscous KO wins.
-Anthony Joshua rightfully so has stolen a lot of the next big thing hype

Im not saying I agree with any of this. Just some points of people who are far from sold on him. I like him and I think he can uni the belts.

Bum squad has no skills to display for people to tune in and admire. He fights other bums and doesn't look good in doing so. He seems like a total piece of shit outside of the right.

Just some reasons for not watching his fights.

The HW division is shallow and while he's not technical he always finds a way to win and does so by KO 97% of the time. He's also the number 3 ranked HW in the world behind Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/12494121/division-division-rankings-index

America is not a collectivist society, like China or many other countries in Asia. We are individualist society. Just because he's American doesn't mean we should immediately get behind him. This isn't the Olympics, this is professional boxing. You've got to prove yourself. We judge people as individuals in the professional ranks.

He's also not very good. So I won't be supporting him.

Because he isnt being promoted and isnt fighting big names.

The main thing I notice is he doesn't really go to social events where non boxing fans are

Aka casuals , Danny G does a great job in socializing with the average joe

Gets his name out , from what I understand he is very accessible to the boxing media but needs to expand

Because he isnt being promoted and isnt fighting big names.

Exactly.

He is a "Champion" and hasn't fought anyone that matters.

His biggest fight was cancelled and the biggest threat to his belt(Ortiz)he flat out refuses to fight. Hell even fighting Briggs would give him more press than all his other opponents but he doesn't want to bother with him either.

Plus in most interviews he is already talking about retirement even though he is avoiding every decent name in a fairly shallow division. He pretty much gets the amount of hype he deserves. Hopefully he decides to earn more instead of coast forever.

Its cause he is a Black Man doing good in life. Americans are tried of sucessful Black Champions like Wilder. Thats is also why Woodley and Mighty Mouse can't sell.

If he does fight better names as you suggest, that buzz you describe most likely will be in his head as he's collecting himself after being KO'd!

Because he fights no hopers, and looks like he's drowning whilst doing so.

His biggest fight was cancelled and the biggest threat to his belt

It's not his fault Povetkin pissed hot

America is not a collectivist society, like China or many other countries in Asia. We are individualist society. Just because he's American doesn't mean we should immediately get behind him. This isn't the Olympics, this is professional boxing. You've got to prove yourself. We judge people as individuals in the professional ranks.

He's also not very good. So I won't be supporting him.

HW boxing was huge until the 2000's when there weren't any American HW champs. Now that we have one nobody gives a shit. I think this says more about the state of boxing in the United States vs an underwhelming champ.

He's 39-0 holy shit! He's literally fought no one. Talk about protected. Joshua, Klit and Fury definitely beat him. Perhaps some others, but those three definitely

Fury gets slaughtered. This version of Klits could as well.

Back