Why does no one talk about barao in the goat conversations? His career was ruined by a known cheat.

There is a lot of confusion surrounding the GOAT signifier. Some people see it as the greatest of all time; singular, as in the single best motherfucker to ever do it. While other see it is, this guy was aight, let's say hes the GOAT because lul. This second group of people bradder, they talk like stupid, I dunno.

I think partly because his UFC record is really unremarkable. He stood at 9-8 in the UFC. It may be unfair to discard his pre-UFC fights, but his fight history isn't amazing beyond Faber.

He was 7-0 in UFC before he started losing 9-0 across WEC/UFC.

He was really good at the time. Great striking and incredible TDD. But his resume isn’t the greatest, and the ban of IVs really effected him

Barao’s career was wild. Of course people jumped the gun in calling him the GOAT of anything at the time. However, he does deserve far more respect, especially considering it was Dildo that basically ended his career.

He was like 30-1 before the division became major. Then he went like 3-9.

Barao = Miguel Torres

Bro, up until the TJ loss, he was looking exactly like a 135 Aldo. Super dominant like Aldo and even used to tear up the legs like Aldo.
Sure a lot of guys look great early on in their run. The dude was a champion, I’m not saying he sucked.

But Aldo was Aldo because he did it for years and years, they were pushing Barao as a top P4P way earlier than they should’ve. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but obviously it didn’t pan out.

I think at the end of the day, these lighter divisions are young man's divisions and the old guard tend to get replaced spectacularly

I asked one of hid Bjj coach about his downfall while he came for a seminar.

I was very respectful I said he was a legend and I just wondered what happened to him.

He told me he never was an athlete and never took training seriously (He meant he never trained as a hard as a pro athlete should not that he was not athletic).

He also said he fooled around in the carnival before the Tj fight.

Not judging here. There might be some gym politics and stuff that made his judgement that harsh.

He also said that Cruz would have been a very hard fight.

Sure a lot of guys look great early on in their run. The dude was a champion, I’m not saying he sucked.

But Aldo was Aldo because he did it for years and years, they were pushing Barao as a top P4P way earlier than they should’ve. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but obviously it didn’t pan out.

Oh, I def thought the P4P stuff was still a bit early. He was whooping guys like Aldo, but he hadn't been doing it as long as Aldo at the higher levels. If he's beat TJ though, it might have been a different story.

I was very respectful I said he was a legend and I just wondered what happened to him.

He told me he never was an athlete and never took training seriously (He meant he never trained as a hard as a pro athlete should not that he was not athletic).

Not judging here. There might be some gym politics and stuff that made his judgement that harsh.

Would be a great fight

He took so much damage from TJ a known cheat and he aged.

He was on a 30+ fight before fighting TJ.
Yeah but TJs cheating came out way after Renan was dethroned, and at that point I think a lot of us had already written him off. It’s tough to go back and reevaluate, although I definitely think TJ probably doped one way or another for a while.

I asked one of Rickson black belts at a seminar why Rickson never fought Sakuraba. He just shrugged and said “money” lol the entire gym looked at me like I’d farted in church

TJ is the BW GOAT

Bring on the hate.

Back