Why does no one talk about barao in the goat conversations? His career was ruined by a known cheat.

Its ok to piss hot and be goat, that's why TJ is goat

Because he lost a lot at the end of his prime. People pretend they don't care about these things but they do. Past-prime defeats carry significant weight in terms of how people view fighters' legacy. Barao and Khabib had similar careers but Barao didn't retire at the top.

You’re right that he doesn’t get mentioned enough. There are a lot of goat contenders at that weight though. But yeah, he deserves more credit I’d say.

Maybe this will help: “Renan Barão is a former UFC bantamweight champion. He held one of the longest unbeaten streaks in MMA history - following a loss in his professional debut, he recorded 32 straight fights without a loss over a span of 9 years. During his championship reign, he was ranked as a top 3 pound for pound fighter and regarded as one of the best mixed martial artists in the world.”

I think he's better than Cody and but Cody is more interesting so he gets talked about more.Barao was a very well rounded and calculated fighter with good game planning and possibly the only BW who was capable of dominating Faber.
Those Faber beat downs were over Faber at his absolute peak and people seem to not care because Faber also had a horrible end to his career because he stayed too long.

I think partly because his UFC record is really unremarkable. He stood at 9-8 in the UFC. It may be unfair to discard his pre-UFC fights, but his fight history isn't amazing beyond Faber.

One of the most overrated, overhyped dudes in the history of the UFC before he lost to TJ.

Not that he wasn’t good, but they were acting like he was the 135 Aldo. Not even close.

Back