Why do we put ceiling lights in every room but the living room?

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've noticed in lots of houses that every single room has a light in the ceiling, except the living room. There might be a ceiling fan with a light, but there's never just a light.
Why do we have to rely on shitty floor and table lamps in the living room?

I'd say in the living room you're trying to create a pleasant and comfortable mood. Can't do that with a ceiling light.

I have ceiling lights in my living room
<{poor?}>

I cant think of any house i have been in that doesn't have a ceiling light in the living room

Where do you live? In a cave?

Just about every apartment I've been in has a ceiling light in the living room as well.

I've seen this before TS, you're not insane.

I'll bet it has something to do with keeping the room a little darker and less direct overhead light for when the TV was on.

You and all the people's houses you been in must be poor. I got recessed led lighting in all the rooms in my house. After all, led is economic. Go green right?

A lot of homes are designed so that the living room gets a good amount of natural light.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'd say in the living room you're trying to create a pleasant and comfortable mood. Can't do that with a ceiling light.
I dunno. I like the smart lights. I wouldn't go all techocolor, but the color temp is adjustable, as well as output.

LIFX_02.jpg

Dimmer lighting.

You sound poor, candle boy.

People use living rooms differently so the furniture might be in different places. In homes I've been involved with wiring, I put the lower half of each receptacle on a switch which allows lamps to be turned on with a switch as well as switches on the lamps themselves. The top half is live for any thing that constant power is needed.

In my bedrooms I use table and floor lights. In my living room I use my ceiling lights.

I'm like in opposite world compared to you.

Most old houses were built before recessed lighting. Living rooms were a casual room for watching TV and conversating. Lamps were a softer light. Lots of older houses have only over head lighting in the Kitchen.

Back