Why do we put ceiling lights in every room but the living room?

I've noticed in lots of houses that every single room has a light in the ceiling, except the living room. There might be a ceiling fan with a light, but there's never just a light.
Why do we have to rely on shitty floor and table lamps in the living room?
giphy.gif

Usually lots of natural light and decorative lamps.

My guess, I've got lights in my living room.

I've noticed in lots of houses that every single room has a light in the ceiling, except the living room. There might be a ceiling fan with a light, but there's never just a light.

<mma4>

*looksaroundlivingroom*

Yup only a ceiling fan.
<TheWire1>

Living rooms are made for lamps.
They sit on the end table next to your couch.

Can confirm poor is the cause. I'm poor and have no ceiling light in the living room.

I was going to make fun of TS but then I realized that technically I don't have a ceiling light in my living room either.
But my that floor is open concept and their is a ceiling light in both the kitchen and the entryway which partially illuminate the living room so I dunno

I feel like it's the opposite. That ceiling lights in the living room are for poor people.

3af1c2d0-cc05-459e-a4ef-6a73a1812b20_1000.jpg

Poor.

custom_image.jpg

Poor.

Ceiling-Lights-Inlight-Curtis-Retro-Triple-Spotlight-Black~GPID_1100108026_00

Poor.

f57f5582-5718-4a74-a6e8-c9efa53440cc_1000.jpg

Poor.

table-lamps-n.jpg

Pimp <13>

Often times living rooms and bedrooms don't have overhead lighting because floor lamps give a more appealing ambiance. Overhead lighting is generally better for rooms with more tasks being performed and you need more light over all

There are no "rules" about where you can put lights though.

*15 year electrician checking in

i prefer dimmer lights around the house. i have ceiling lights but prefer using lamps in most rooms

are also went semi-hipster and used LED christmas lights for my bedroom, i have ceiling lights but i never turn them on

lol it was first thing I asked myself when I moved to America 25 years ago

I have ceiling lights in all of my living rooms, in every house Ive ever lived in.

most were fan lights.

Just realized I have never lived in a place with living room ceiling lights. Mind blown.

Back