Why do fighters get so fat in between camps?

I know there are some fighters who just perform at a higher body fat, but there is a point where it becomes unprofessional. Unless you are DC, stop getting so out of shape in between your fights and have to spend 50% of the fight camp getting to fight weight.

The TUF finale last week had this one fight that completely blew my mind.

john-gunther-allan-zuniga-tuf-27-finale-7.jpg

Zuniga looks very out of shape here. He fought at 155, looks like he could fight at 135 if he cut weight and lost a little body fat. Otherwise, he could easily move to 145 with just losing the gut. To me, this is unacceptable. Its one thing if you are super athletic and explosive, but its another to be completely unathletic and overweight.

Who are some other fighters who get out of shape and bloat up in between fights?

Honorable Mentions
451778080-bantamweight-champion-tj-dillashaw-and-gettyimages.jpg

index.php

dc not fat and how are u fat when you make weigh for your fights.

fighters can big when there not fighting cause so many cut so much weight to fight at there class they do.

dc not fat and how are u fat when you make weigh for your fights.

fighters can big when there not fighting cause so many cut so much weight to fight at there class they do.
DC ISN'T FAT? jesus. he might be the LHW and HW champ, but he IS fat

It's even worse for boxers.

This guy was fighting mayweather a few years ago, twice.

8I7cckMOxoIzmzfs52-8YK7Ji83x1cz8WjlNj0Jnk1k.jpg

I was shocked when I saw Maidana! Have you seen Ricky Hatton?? He porked it up too.,.

And Tyson Fury, he was ~400 lbs allegedly earlier this year..

I lost 120 lbs I'm high school and have kept it off for 10 years, and I special now or what.

Btw most of what you gained of just extracellular water weight. Isn't physically possible to eat that many extra calories in that short of time.

Yes, you're special. Even taking into account all the details regarding your weight (how long you'd been obese, what kind of weight you lost, things like that) it's an incredible accomplishment, and a statistical anomaly. That's why I said "statistically" zero. Virtually nobody has done it.

Of course it's water weight. That was my entire point. It took me a month of diet and exercise to lose it again. Three days of moderate excess, a month of work.

I was shocked when I saw Maidana! Have you seen Ricky Hatton?? He porked it up too.,.

And Tyson Fury, he was ~400 lbs allegedly earlier this year..

Yea man its really shocking seeing these fighters let themselves go. You would think high level athletes like this would value health and fitness more than your average guy.

I guess they get tired of all the extreme workouts and just let it all go once they retire.

Cung Le used to talk about how he couldn’t wait to eat pizza and chocolate chip cookies in his post fight speeches.

If you've never cut a lot of weight you will never understand. These guys day dream about drinking water from a toilet or drainage pond when they are cutting

gets harder as u get older too

but maybe its just the stress and the need to unwind between camps

Fat cells grow but they never go away.

You work your ass off to shrink them, but they expand incredibly easily. Really hard to shrink, almost instant to expand.

I was on a strict diet for a year, went on vacation for a weekend, and put on fifteen pounds in less that three days.

Once you get fat, you're fucked for life. The number of people globally who lose more than five percent body weight and keep it off for two or more years is statistically zero.

Fighters who indulge when not in a camp are making the biggest mistake of their career. They're adding a hurdle for every camp they will ever have going forward.

15 pounds and nearly all of it was water weight. You probably ate and drank whatever you wanted like a normal good vacationer does.

15 pounds and nearly all of it was water weight. You probably ate and drank whatever you wanted like a normal good vacationer does.

It took me a month to being my weight back down.

I also hadn't gone crazy on those three days, I had a few beers and ate sensible meals.

It took me a month to being my weight back down.

I also hadn't gone crazy on those three days, I had a few beers and ate sensible meals.

What is a sensible meal?

Sounds like you didn’t actively try to bring your weight down in a hurry.

I don’t mean to sound rude or offensive cause I don’t care about your personal lifestyle and habits my point was merely that it’s impossible to gain 15 pounds in 3 days without the majority of it being water and it shouldn’t have taken 30 days to drop it if that’s what you were trying to do.

Back