Why do fighters get so fat in between camps?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Legendary, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Legendary

Legendary Supernova

I know there are some fighters who just perform at a higher body fat, but there is a point where it becomes unprofessional. Unless you are DC, stop getting so out of shape in between your fights and have to spend 50% of the fight camp getting to fight weight.

The TUF finale last week had this one fight that completely blew my mind.

[​IMG]

Zuniga looks very out of shape here. He fought at 155, looks like he could fight at 135 if he cut weight and lost a little body fat. Otherwise, he could easily move to 145 with just losing the gut. To me, this is unacceptable. Its one thing if you are super athletic and explosive, but its another to be completely unathletic and overweight.

Who are some other fighters who get out of shape and bloat up in between fights?

Honorable Mentions
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    justalurker and michi972 like this.
  2. bean88

bean88 Blue Belt

Pig Rigg

Diego Sanchez used to fluctuate a lot

Masvidal maybe although I think he just said he used to eat whatever he wanted

Mark Munoz got FAT once or twice

nevernamed likes this.
  3. Noah1212

Noah1212 Drink the Kool-Aid Platinum Member

Weight management isn't always easy. Obviously this is their job but most people fluctuate weight regularly without realizing it. I also know that having SOME fat on you is healthy.

4. drbolony

drbolony Blessed Era

Look I know this sounds bad, but to take a page out of Holloway's book, it is what is. Zuniga is from Costa Rica, a very rural part at that (did you see his gym on tuf?). I'm pretty sure they're behind like 10 years on MMA, and another 10 on dieting and strength and conditioning. Zuniga for lack of better words is ignorant as to what it is to be a true athlete.

On topic though idk. I the fighters from here have no excuse. They just love their food I guess. Andy Ruiz the boxer is from my county. He's fat as shit. Only loss is to the Kiwi who just lost to Anthony Joshua, in a super close fight. My point is they're just people, they aren't perfect. They just decided to dedicate their life to something they love. Some aren't all in, and that's OK. The guys who are get to break out and show out. It's the circle of life in the fight world.

5. Skeptic_Zero

Skeptic_Zero Yellow Belt

These are guys who punch other dudes in the face for a living. Did you really expect them to have some sort of stoicist self control when they aren't in a fight camp?

6. Metheus

Metheus Purple Belt

Come on, these guys go to work 1-3 times a year

The rest of the year they are all in Colby's mom's basement eating Cheetos, right?

Maaj19 and Skeptic_Zero like this.
  7. Ultra O’Dia

Ultra O’Dia Purple Belt

it surprises me, too, honestly.

Gabe likes this.
  8. LLD2008

LLD2008 Green Belt

They are unprofessional

Londonjitsu, Ronin13, Gabe and 5 others like this.
  9. Legendary

Legendary Supernova

The typical 25 year old gym bro has a better body then a "professional"
    All good ones and all of them performed better when they were in good shape, what a concept?

YOLOGOGOPLATA likes this.
  10. leatherf4ce

leatherf4ce Brown Belt

Imagine eating a bullshit bland diet and drinking just water/your own urine every day of the year. Tiramisu, cheesecake, and horse meat has to get squeezed in somewhere.

11. Loiosh

Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Fat cells grow but they never go away.

You work your ass off to shrink them, but they expand incredibly easily. Really hard to shrink, almost instant to expand.

I was on a strict diet for a year, went on vacation for a weekend, and put on fifteen pounds in less that three days.

Once you get fat, you're fucked for life. The number of people globally who lose more than five percent body weight and keep it off for two or more years is statistically zero.

Fighters who indulge when not in a camp are making the biggest mistake of their career. They're adding a hurdle for every camp they will ever have going forward.

12. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

D level athletes.

Gabe, baba2008 and Legendary like this.
  13. DS66

DS66 Green Belt

They work their fucking ass off training for 2-3 months every day for a fight. It's incredibly stressful on the mind and body, and it culminates in a crazy night where they put their health at risk to try and beat the shit out another dude while the other dude is trying to give them brain damage. There's an overwhelming feeling of relief once that's all over and a desire to just let go and check out for awhile afterwards. For many people, that includes eating/drinking whatever the hell they want and not working out much, until the next fight camp begins.

14. Sirwastealot

Sirwastealot Red Belt

It's even worse for boxers.

This guy was fighting mayweather a few years ago, twice.

[​IMG]

julmma, PirateTetra, michi972 and 9 others like this.
  15. Thesnake101

Thesnake101 Think about it, it worth it.

They like to enjoy their free time before having to perform a grueling training camp prior to a fight.

Zuñiga is just a blown up guy though, but it's normal since he's a regional fighter.

Skarsgard likes this.
  16. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

well in the TUF case, there are a lot of fighters of lower weight classes that fight on TUF, and on the finals they can look overweight. for example, antoino carlos junior, he fought at the BR TUF, but he's a MW now. but yeah, there's a lot of lack of professionalism from fighters

17. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

afaik he's retired

julmma, CUAPO and nevernamed like this.
  18. DanMMAleague

DanMMAleague Purple Belt

Their focus and priority should be on skill because that’s what wins fights.

If they need a few comforts to make it through the day then so be it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    buffpants22 likes this.
  19. brian

brian Purple Belt

Alot of these guys are just not disciplined, they train & eat whatever they want & get fat out of camp. Guys like TJ, Sage, Cody etc stay lean year round.

20. DanMMAleague

DanMMAleague Purple Belt

Damn he might have brain damage.

Erik Morales did the same but to be fair he was a freakishly tall bantamweight starving off muscle.