Why do fighters get so fat in between camps?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I know there are some fighters who just perform at a higher body fat, but there is a point where it becomes unprofessional. Unless you are DC, stop getting so out of shape in between your fights and have to spend 50% of the fight camp getting to fight weight.

The TUF finale last week had this one fight that completely blew my mind.

john-gunther-allan-zuniga-tuf-27-finale-7.jpg

Zuniga looks very out of shape here. He fought at 155, looks like he could fight at 135 if he cut weight and lost a little body fat. Otherwise, he could easily move to 145 with just losing the gut. To me, this is unacceptable. Its one thing if you are super athletic and explosive, but its another to be completely unathletic and overweight.

Who are some other fighters who get out of shape and bloat up in between fights?

Honorable Mentions
451778080-bantamweight-champion-tj-dillashaw-and-gettyimages.jpg

index.php

Last edited:
I know there are some fighters who just perform at a higher body fat, but there is a point where it becomes unprofessional. Unless you are DC, stop getting so out of shape in between your fights and have to spend 50% of the fight camp getting to fight weight.

The TUF finale last week had this one fight that completely blew my mind.

john-gunther-allan-zuniga-tuf-27-finale-7.jpg

Zuniga looks very out of shape here. He fought at 155, looks like he could fight at 135 if he cut weight and lost a little body fat. Otherwise, he could easily move to 145 with just losing the gut. To me, this is unacceptable. Its one thing if you are super athletic and explosive, but its another to be completely unathletic and overweight.

Who are some other fighters who get out of shape and bloat up in between fights?

Pig Rigg

Diego Sanchez used to fluctuate a lot

Masvidal maybe although I think he just said he used to eat whatever he wanted

Mark Munoz got FAT once or twice

Weight management isn't always easy. Obviously this is their job but most people fluctuate weight regularly without realizing it. I also know that having SOME fat on you is healthy.

Look I know this sounds bad, but to take a page out of Holloway's book, it is what is. Zuniga is from Costa Rica, a very rural part at that (did you see his gym on tuf?). I'm pretty sure they're behind like 10 years on MMA, and another 10 on dieting and strength and conditioning. Zuniga for lack of better words is ignorant as to what it is to be a true athlete.

On topic though idk. I the fighters from here have no excuse. They just love their food I guess. Andy Ruiz the boxer is from my county. He's fat as shit. Only loss is to the Kiwi who just lost to Anthony Joshua, in a super close fight. My point is they're just people, they aren't perfect. They just decided to dedicate their life to something they love. Some aren't all in, and that's OK. The guys who are get to break out and show out. It's the circle of life in the fight world.

These are guys who punch other dudes in the face for a living. Did you really expect them to have some sort of stoicist self control when they aren't in a fight camp?

Come on, these guys go to work 1-3 times a year

The rest of the year they are all in Colby's mom's basement eating Cheetos, right?

it surprises me, too, honestly.

The typical 25 year old gym bro has a better body then a "professional"
Pig Rigg

Diego Sanchez used to fluctuate a lot

Masvidal maybe although I think he just said he used to eat whatever he wanted

Mark Munoz got FAT once or twice

All good ones and all of them performed better when they were in good shape, what a concept?

Imagine eating a bullshit bland diet and drinking just water/your own urine every day of the year. Tiramisu, cheesecake, and horse meat has to get squeezed in somewhere.

Fat cells grow but they never go away.

You work your ass off to shrink them, but they expand incredibly easily. Really hard to shrink, almost instant to expand.

I was on a strict diet for a year, went on vacation for a weekend, and put on fifteen pounds in less that three days.

Once you get fat, you're fucked for life. The number of people globally who lose more than five percent body weight and keep it off for two or more years is statistically zero.

Fighters who indulge when not in a camp are making the biggest mistake of their career. They're adding a hurdle for every camp they will ever have going forward.

They work their fucking ass off training for 2-3 months every day for a fight. It's incredibly stressful on the mind and body, and it culminates in a crazy night where they put their health at risk to try and beat the shit out another dude while the other dude is trying to give them brain damage. There's an overwhelming feeling of relief once that's all over and a desire to just let go and check out for awhile afterwards. For many people, that includes eating/drinking whatever the hell they want and not working out much, until the next fight camp begins.

It's even worse for boxers.

This guy was fighting mayweather a few years ago, twice.

8I7cckMOxoIzmzfs52-8YK7Ji83x1cz8WjlNj0Jnk1k.jpg

They like to enjoy their free time before having to perform a grueling training camp prior to a fight.

Zuñiga is just a blown up guy though, but it's normal since he's a regional fighter.

well in the TUF case, there are a lot of fighters of lower weight classes that fight on TUF, and on the finals they can look overweight. for example, antoino carlos junior, he fought at the BR TUF, but he's a MW now. but yeah, there's a lot of lack of professionalism from fighters

Their focus and priority should be on skill because that’s what wins fights.

If they need a few comforts to make it through the day then so be it.

Last edited:
Alot of these guys are just not disciplined, they train & eat whatever they want & get fat out of camp. Guys like TJ, Sage, Cody etc stay lean year round.

It's even worse for boxers.

This guy was fighting mayweather a few years ago, twice.

8I7cckMOxoIzmzfs52-8YK7Ji83x1cz8WjlNj0Jnk1k.jpg

Damn he might have brain damage.

Erik Morales did the same but to be fair he was a freakishly tall bantamweight starving off muscle.

Back