Why do big guys never shoot first???

FYI: Judo weight categories.

Lightweight (-63 kg/-139 lbs), Half-Middleweight (-70 kg/-154 lbs), Middleweight (-80 kg/-176 lbs), Half-Heavyweight (-93 kg/-205 lbs), Heavyweight (Over 93 kg/205 lbs)

Both 205 and 230 are fat monsters.
Lol those are the weight divisions of 1972 !

Here
Guide to judo weight divisions for seniors
Senior women:
to 44kg (97#), to 48kg (106#), to 52kg (115#), to 57kg (126#),
to 63kg (139#), to 70kg (154#), to 78kg (172#), above 78kg (172#)

Senior men:
to 56kg (123#), to 60kg (132#), to 66kg (146#), to 73kg (161#),
to 81kg (179#), to 90kg (198#), to 100kg (220#), above 100kg (220#)

Lol those are the weight divisions of 1972 !

Here
Guide to judo weight divisions for seniors
Senior women:
to 44kg (97#), to 48kg (106#), to 52kg (115#), to 57kg (126#),
to 63kg (139#), to 70kg (154#), to 78kg (172#), above 78kg (172#)

Senior men:
to 56kg (123#), to 60kg (132#), to 66kg (146#), to 73kg (161#),
to 81kg (179#), to 90kg (198#), to 100kg (220#), above 100kg (220#)
Do they weigh you with the gi on? I could make 90 kg without a gi without too much trouble.

Against a fat guy, just grab and start moving so he gets tired then attack.

If he can get his grips and stop your attempts at movements, then you are fucked.

Fake shots at them all night until they force a desperate shot, then circle around to their back.

Fake shots at them all night until they force a desperate shot, then circle around to their back.

With the gi on, dont think wrestling.

Shots are hard to get and easy to stop cuz of grips.

You could think "judo clinch with wrestling added" though.

With the gi on, dont think wrestling.

Shots are hard to get and easy to stop cuz of grips.

You could think "judo clinch with wrestling added" though.

True. I am not a fan of shooting in or fighting for usual snap downs/cross wrists etc with a gi. I am pretty good in a clinch though, I have worked a strong right underhook and clinch style since I first started wrestling. But, why go to a clinch with someone who has a strength advantage... unless you have a sort of back control and can drag them down without their weight and momentum roll you over...

With grips, I would go for a low single, or try to snap down with collar grip? In judo I mostly always aim for collar/upper back and lower sleeve grip - not ideal for someone heavier.

I have a system I teach all of my heavyweight wrestlers. This system has worked to get guys placing at state and becoming All Americans.

The system is using zero risk offense to force them to attack. Most average heavyweights can score on good heavyweights when they are forced to use attacks that have risk involved. This cannot be argued. You can watch just about any heavyweight wrestling match and the guy who is forced to use riskier attacks usually gets scored on. There are freak athletes that are the exception, but they are ultra rare.

How do you do this? My system has two options:

1 - Either you use low risk activity to make them feel like they will get penalized for inactivity, or you engage the ref to make him warn the other wrestler, which will either force them to make risky attacks, or they get penalized. This is the easiest to do and the least risky. Winning hand and head fighting battles along with footwork and fake attacks is what is usually used.

2 - Use low risk body attacks to either force the opponent to abandon position which makes it easier for you to score with offense, use body attacks to make them consider the point cost of hanging in the position too long and getting hit with an unsurmountable point difference, or using body attacks to make them flee the position, which then brings you back to system one which will engage the ref to either penalize them or urge them to take action which contains risk and gives you a better opportunity to score. Body attacks like this should be mainly just getting to an offensive and superior body position like bear hug, double unders, and then completely shutting down any risky movements. The whole key here is to gain a superior position and then sit and wait there safely.

This system drives many people nuts because they feel that all wrestling should look like what the lower weights do and that is a stupid way to think if you want to win. Is it metagaming and cheap? I dont think it is. A heavyweight applying a strategy to force his opponent to take risk that can be capitalized on is still wrestling.

Wow! This is a very radical and creative approach. I have not heard this before but it makes total sense. I'm not sure if I'm ready to implement it this weekend, but I'd like to study this approach further. Thank you, sir.
I have a system I teach all of my heavyweight wrestlers. This system has worked to get guys placing at state and becoming All Americans.

The system is using zero risk offense to force them to attack. Most average heavyweights can score on good heavyweights when they are forced to use attacks that have risk involved. This cannot be argued. You can watch just about any heavyweight wrestling match and the guy who is forced to use riskier attacks usually gets scored on. There are freak athletes that are the exception, but they are ultra rare.

1 - Either you use low risk activity to make them feel like they will get penalized for inactivity, or you engage the ref to make him warn the other wrestler, which will either force them to make risky attacks, or they get penalized. This is the easiest to do and the least risky. Winning hand and head fighting battles along with footwork and fake attacks is what is usually used.

2 - Use low risk body attacks to either force the opponent to abandon position which makes it easier for you to score with offense, use body attacks to make them consider the point cost of hanging in the position too long and getting hit with an unsurmountable point difference, or using body attacks to make them flee the position, which then brings you back to system one which will engage the ref to either penalize them or urge them to take action which contains risk and gives you a better opportunity to score. Body attacks like this should be mainly just getting to an offensive and superior body position like bear hug, double unders, and then completely shutting down any risky movements. The whole key here is to gain a superior position and then sit and wait there safely.

This system drives many people nuts because they feel that all wrestling should look like what the lower weights do and that is a stupid way to think if you want to win. Is it metagaming and cheap? I dont think it is. A heavyweight applying a strategy to force his opponent to take risk that can be capitalized on is still wrestling.

Do you teach any snatch single or short offense slide byes as a part of it or is that just supplementary. I've been working with a couple of heavyweights at my new job

I feel illuminated after reading this. I've never considered the possibility that heavyweights are wrestling the way that they do because it's safer, and leads them to victory.

Do you teach any snatch single or short offense slide byes as a part of it or is that just supplementary. I've been working with a couple of heavyweights at my new job
Those are two staples in how I coach upperweights because they work in strategy #1 because they are zero risk offensive manuevers that can both score and put the opponent on defense which either makes him worried about the stall call and pressures him into riskier attacks, or shows the referee that my guy is being active and makes him warn or penalize the opponent, both leading to either points of forced action of riskier attacks. Throw byes, drags to body attacks, bump byes, and attacks off a 2 on 1 are also all part of strategy #1.

Why do big guys never shoot first???

Premature ejaculation and being well hung is a no no.

Those are two staples in how I coach upperweights because they work in strategy #1 because they are zero risk offensive manuevers that can both score and put the opponent on defense which either makes him worried about the stall call and pressures him into riskier attacks, or shows the referee that my guy is being active and makes him warn or penalize the opponent, both leading to either points of forced action of riskier attacks. Throw byes, drags to body attacks, bump byes, and attacks off a 2 on 1 are also all part of strategy #1.
Thank you, It's fun because the new football coach is sharing which make life so much easier

Back