Why did the ufc let Rory MacDonald walk?

He wanted more than they wanted to pay
Bellator was willing to pay

Hard to negotiate a good long term deal coming off two losses

Another thing that might be getting overlooked is that the UFC is constantly trying to defend against the notion that they have a monopoly on MMA. Letting the occasional big name walk is probably good for UFC's legal defense.

not really that exciting

Ya, that fight against Robbie was pretty much shit! WOWwowow

The Wonderboy fight showed that Rory had lost that fire.

I agree with Luke Thomas when he stated "when a fighter just moves forward with little striking, then he is probably done."

I realized Wonderboy wasn't that good, when he failed to finish a fighter (Rory MacDonald) who didn't want to fight at all, and was just walking in a straight line like a zombie.

Preposterous! All this jibberish around the Robbie fight too...let's not forget he said this in the aftermath:

"The greatest moment of my life," MacDonald said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "The best experience, it was a real experience, it showed me who I was. It was the best moment of my entire life.

Rory is a fucking warrior - he is the epitome of a fighter. Look for some of his interviews about going back up to northern BC - where he was born - to live off the land (in the bush). Us keyboard warriors can climb up on our high horses (I realize the irony) and pretend we have some fucking ideas of what these men are thinking and how it will affect them as fighters moving forward...but fighting Wonderboy carefully - when he's the most difficult stylistic challenge of your career and with a jacked up nose - is pretty fucking understandable. To make broad sweeping comments about his future trajectory is complete bullshit! And Luke Thomas has a thin layer of shit in his brains.

And Wonderboy isn't that good?!?! Listen to yourself - the man is (what?) 62-1-1 at the highest level of combat sports. Get a CLUE!!! /rant tl/dr (for once)

On topic, I agree with notion that the UFC let him go primarily because of money. Done as a fighter, PLEASE!!!

Ya, that fight against Robbie was pretty much shit! WOWwowow

Preposterous! All this jibberish around the Robbie fight too...let's not forget he said this in the aftermath:

"The greatest moment of my life," MacDonald said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "The best experience, it was a real experience, it showed me who I was. It was the best moment of my entire life.

Rory is a fucking warrior - he is the epitome of a fighter. Look for some of his interviews about going back up to northern BC - where he was born - to live off the land (in the bush). Us keyboard warriors can climb up on our high horses (I realize the irony) and pretend we have some fucking ideas of what these men are thinking and how it will affect them as fighters moving forward...but fighting Wonderboy carefully - when he's the most difficult stylistic challenge of your career and with a jacked up nose - is pretty fucking understandable. To make broad sweeping comments about his future trajectory is complete bullshit! And Luke Thomas has a thin layer of shit in his brains.

And Wonderboy isn't that good?!?! Listen to yourself - the man is (what?) 62-1-1 at the highest level of combat sports. Get a CLUE!!! /rant tl/dr (for once)

On topic, I agree with notion that the UFC let him go primarily because of money. Done as a fighter, PLEASE!!!
yeah, it's not like lawler was the one that made that fight exciting and who's always on exciting fights

<{hughesimpress}>

yeah, it's not like lawler was the one that made that fight exciting and who's always on exciting fights

<{hughesimpress}>
fuck off

There's no denying Robbie's excitement factor, but in the immortal words of Tina Turner: it takes two baby

fuck off

There's no denying Robbie's excitement factor, but in the immortal words of Tina Turner: it takes two baby

that is correct, but lawler is in exciting fights ALL THE TIME, while rory, not so much

His medical bills were cutting into profits.

He's a grown man FFS!!!
Let him walk.
Kids under 12 months learn to walk so...

The UFC needs to cut their roster in half, starting with majority of the women. Rory is/was one of the best contenders in the world. He's like a Condit, not good enough to be champ but has the tools to pull it off but still be a hard fight for anyone.

He found someone who was willing to pay him m what he believes he is worth. The UFC thought he wasn't worth and let a good fighter go.

I will support Rory wherever he fights.

The UFC needs to cut their roster in half, starting with majority of the women. Rory is/was one of the best contenders in the world. He's like a Condit, not good enough to be champ but has the tools to pull it off but still be a hard fight for anyone.
He beat the current champ, and the guy next in line. Bisping is a champion. Rory can be a champion.

thats what I said...he has the tools to pull it off but he just hasn't.
"not good enough to be champ but has the tools to pull it off but still be a hard fight for anyone."

I understood the Condit comparison, but you said he wasn't good enough to be the champ. Condit arguably won his fight against Robbie. There isn't really a clear #1 at WW right now. On any given night, the top guys can all beat each other.

"not good enough to be champ but has the tools to pull it off but still be a hard fight for anyone."

I understood the Condit comparison, but you said he wasn't good enough to be the champ. Condit arguably won his fight against Robbie. There isn't really a clear #1 at WW right now. On any given night, the top guys can all beat each other.
I meant he has all the tools just wasn't enough to win the belt, which is what happened. I agreed with your comment about the top guys could all beat each other and thats how I always felt about Robbie, Condit, and Rory.

I like Rory , he does have the personality of a tree stump and did everything he could in the UFC to be Champ! Time to make money and get the fuck out

I think the UFC thinks he's broken. The fight with Robbie Lawler did some permanent damage to both of them...and then he looked a little flat against Thompson.

Whether that's true or not, we'll find out. But he did start young and has a lot of wear and tear on himself for his age.

This. UFC feeds him to the wolves when hes still a kid and now that he should be entering his MMA prime, hes potentially shot. Not a fan of guys fighting that young. Might of ruined both Macdonalds, Rory and Michael

Back