Why did the ufc let Rory MacDonald walk?

The Wonderboy fight showed that Rory had lost that fire.

I agree with Luke Thomas when he stated "when a fighter just moves forward with little striking, then he is probably done."

I realized Wonderboy wasn't that good, when he failed to finish a fighter (Rory MacDonald) who didn't want to fight at all, and was just walking in a straight line like a zombie.

I don't even understand how it makes business sense.

GSP the Canadian superstar retires. Rory is 27 with outstanding credentials. Coming off 2 lossses to championship fighters.

How did the ufc not promote him as the rising star in Canada.

It almost seems like something petty went on behind the scenes

Good question... Especially since he destroyed current WW champion.

My theory was that they were always thinking ahead to GSP's return and knew the both of them couldn't be in the same division.

Every time I think about Rory and Lorenz going to Bellator because the UFC wouldn't pay them I get pissed... Especially knowing the company just sold for 4Billion... then I am asked to spend $50 on a ppv half stacked with manlets, women and noname fighters it makes it worse. I watched Bellator last night even though the fedor fight was cancelled just because I want to support them taking over one day. Fuck WME, fuck Dana, fuck the UFC.

It is actually very simple. The UFC wants Bellator to become a stronger, more legitimate promotion.

So does GSP. Other than being a goat I don't see how he's any more marketable

I disagree GSP is very personable, approachable, and is easy sell able as Gentleman nice guy George. Rory is also a nice guy but as a very dry personalty.

Cause he's too respectful and he's got no neck tattoos.

That nose...

It set him back physically and mentally. He's way too concerned about it and it effects his fighting style, for the worse.

He wanted more cash than they were willing to pay...simple.

He wanted more than they wanted to pay
Bellator was willing to pay

Hard to negotiate a good long term deal coming off two losses

nail-on-the-head.png

Mix this with what others are saying about Rory looking like he had lost the passion / fire to compete, and you've got a guy who it's just not worth putting a ton of money into. To be fair to the UFC, they tried to market this guy, but he goes to press conferences and answers questions with one word responses. I'm not saying you have to be Conor to get people excited, but being monotone and monotonous isn't something that gets people fired up to spend money to see you fight.

The Wonderboy fight showed that Rory had lost that fire.

I agree with Luke Thomas when he stated "when a fighter just moves forward with little striking, then he is probably done."

I realized Wonderboy wasn't that good, when he failed to finish a fighter (Rory MacDonald) who didn't want to fight at all, and was just walking in a straight line like a zombie.
Hopefully Rory catches that fire again.... but Wonderboy I'm not sure how good he is or is'nt against woodley he was just his usual tentative point fighting self he needs to be more aggressivethe next fight

I thought his nose is fucked. He may not be able to fight many more fights

He wanted a huge contract and was fighting somewhate tentatively - primarily because he didn't want to get his nose shattered again. Mostly because he wanted BIG bucks probably and the UFC didn't see him as marketable enough to warrant that.

He partly lost the fire when UFC said they encourage him to explore other offers when he fought out contract. They have been punishing fighters who are doing this, rather than having leverage they are being let go. Cirkunov for example. Rory is probably the worst shit talker and generally boring. As far as the nose is concerned he has to be like Wandie and just let it get destroyed, get operations after you retire. That's fighting.

It's just sick. He's still entering his prime at age 27, right?

Its tough to say, the younger you start generally the younger you're finished.

People only have so many years in the sport.

Even though he's 27 he made his debut at age 16 in 2005 before guys like JDS and Cain had entered the sport and he's been in some wars.

aMrT86u.gif

images

Back