Why did Stipe gas so bad? - Taking down Ngannou wasn't hard.....

I can understand why Ngannou gassed. It could be that he bought into his own hype with the UFC helping inflate that, it could be poor conditioning, it could be the excitement of being in the big fight that has drained the gas tank of many fighters who weren't known for having a bad gas tank, or it could be a combination of those.

In the past we've seen fighters who aren't known for having bad gas tanks having their cardio drained in the 1st round and after a fairly low-key round. So, I do believe the excitement of being in the big fight/title fight can gas people out. I believe that is partially what happened to Francis. Sure Ngannou was throwing full power punches at Stipe but he wasn't throwing a ton of them. I thought there was a name for it, but I think a lot of what happened to Ngannou was in fact the excitement of being in a title fight caused him to have a drastic cardio drain.

So, if that's what happened to Ngannou, what happened to Stipe? Stipe wasn't throwing a ton of strikes standing, got Ngannou to the ground easy, and threw almost no ground and pound, content on laying on Ngannou and throwing a punch or two when the ref warned him he needed to be active otherwise he'd get stood up. I mean Mike Russow was throwing more vicious GnP on Todd Duffee and in higher volume. Obviously Stipe had 2 title defenses already and wasn't gonna gas being in a title fight. Stipe also appeared to be almost gassed by the 2nd round and Stipe didn't take too many hits from Ngannou that could have wore him out either.

So, how did Stipe gas by laying on Ngannou and throwing some of the weakest GnP of all time?
The are heavies you dunce. And both guys got CRACKED A LACKED in the early tounds.seriously I didn't have to think for 5 seconds to come up with that.

takendowns are the most energy consuming efforts in mma. your wrong. post no more threads untill you understand mma.

It's more than just the successful take downs. Closing this distance and getting out of take quickly while striking, the failed takedowns, clinching, scrambling, it's all exhausting

Francis is probably even stronger than he looks.

That fight mad is glaringly obvious there needs to be a 225 or 235 class. Francis looked two weight classes bigger. Stipe could make 225 by not eating for one day. Francis cuts to 265 doesn't he?

TS couldnt grapple with someone 20 lbs less than him for 5 minutes but yet you guys want him to grapple someone 40lbs heavier than him for 25 minutes??!

hahaha yaaaa right!

Seeing how Overeem looked like he was wrestling a concrete pillar against Ngannou in the clinch, i was super impressed how Stipe held the 270lbs beast and did it for 25min while eating a couple of bombs.
This. Ngannou pushed Overeem around like he was a toy.
By Hold Down you mean........

Hold Down = Lie on top of and recover

It wasn't like Ngannou was making moves on the ground and throwing up offense off of his back, Ngannou was content to just lie there and not do anything while Stipe was content to lie on top of him and recover and also do nothing until the ref HAD to tell him to throw a punch or be active otherwise he'd stand them up......
That wasn’t the whole fight though. Stipe has some moments where he outpunched himself in GnP. I remember one moment where he threw many body shots in a row without doing much damage, looking more and more sloppy and frustrated.

Also, he had to keep his concentration up and couldn’t blink the whole fight. Simply because he knew that Ngannou can end the fight with one punch.

Anyways, try holding down a guy that’s 80 lbs heavier than you for 60 minutes while juggling with running chainsaws and learning Chinese, then we‘ll talk again.

I can understand why Ngannou gassed. It could be that he bought into his own hype with the UFC helping inflate that, it could be poor conditioning, it could be the excitement of being in the big fight that has drained the gas tank of many fighters who weren't known for having a bad gas tank, or it could be a combination of those.

In the past we've seen fighters who aren't known for having bad gas tanks having their cardio drained in the 1st round and after a fairly low-key round. So, I do believe the excitement of being in the big fight/title fight can gas people out. I believe that is partially what happened to Francis. Sure Ngannou was throwing full power punches at Stipe but he wasn't throwing a ton of them. I thought there was a name for it, but I think a lot of what happened to Ngannou was in fact the excitement of being in a title fight caused him to have a drastic cardio drain.

So, if that's what happened to Ngannou, what happened to Stipe? Stipe wasn't throwing a ton of strikes standing, got Ngannou to the ground easy, and threw almost no ground and pound, content on laying on Ngannou and throwing a punch or two when the ref warned him he needed to be active otherwise he'd get stood up. I mean Mike Russow was throwing more vicious GnP on Todd Duffee and in higher volume. Obviously Stipe had 2 title defenses already and wasn't gonna gas being in a title fight. Stipe also appeared to be almost gassed by the 2nd round and Stipe didn't take too many hits from Ngannou that could have wore him out either.

So, how did Stipe gas by laying on Ngannou and throwing some of the weakest GnP of all time?
Dana is that you ?

OP is Matt Serra height and Francis Ngannou weight

By Hold Down you mean........

Hold Down = Lie on top of and recover

It wasn't like Ngannou was making moves on the ground and throwing up offense off of his back, Ngannou was content to just lie there and not do anything while Stipe was content to lie on top of him and recover and also do nothing until the ref HAD to tell him to throw a punch or be active otherwise he'd stand them up......

So are you saying Stipe was not gassed or are you saying he has a bad gas tank, what exactly are you fishing for here as a proper answer?

Stipe ate a couple bombs in the first round and had to shoot and take down a very large powerful guy. I would guess that there are a few things that came into play that made recovery difficult. I get the sense that you wished they had remained standing but I would say it was pretty clear that Stipe was tired from the way he was throwing punches while they were on the ground. Anyone who would imply that he was faking being tired is just looking for a reason to shit on him because they are salty about the fight.

I would say that a big indicator that he was overworked and tired himself is the fact that he could barely punch a guy who was unable to protect himself. How many people need to say that it is hard to wrestle big strong freaks of nature and it makes you tired for that to be considered a legit estimate.

Stipe was holding for dear life. He wanted no part of Ngannou's stand up.

^^ This... Overeem is a huge powerful guy with a solid takedown game and he literally couldn't budge NGannou. Stipe took him down what, 6 times?

My favorite was when Cruz was saying, "stipe needs to stick to the single leg takedowns as there is no way he can double leg a guy as powerful as Ngannou" 30 seconds later he double legs Ngannou easily.

Wrestling a guy that size and strength takes a ton of energy. Standing and banging seems to drain the big guys a lot less.

Stipe couldnt land a TD till Francis gassed. This is overlooked. Predator has a pretty good TDD.

I think alot of strikers focus so much on not being taken down tho they ignore what to do once they are down. Francis looked pretty lost once in a bad position.

Most fustrating thing for me was Stipe refusing to take the back.

He was however far busier with his gnp then TS is saying. (Ref called for action a total of 2 times)

Dude you took a huge L here

I'd leave sherdog a couple days if I were you

Other champions have fought KO artist killers and gone 5 rounds and not gassed at HW.

What are you looking for here?

Obviously your question is a rhetorical one since you've already made up your mind that his getting tired is some sort of abnormality or knock on the guy , so why don't you come out on with what YOU think happened , instead of beating around the bush.

I'm gonna chance a guess that youre a doughy unconditioned non athlete with zero grappling or fighting experience. Maybe reflect on that fact, and how it makes it virtually impossible that you could know what the fuck you are talking about before you ask stupid questions?

I too thought it was a pitiful display from both men. After the 1st rnd, stipe thru 3.5strikes per min for the rest of the fight against an opponent who was dead tired and spent a good chunk of that time on one knee or his back. Yes stipe game plan was the smartest plan, but I don't see how cain wouldn't of tko'd ngannou within first 2mins of second rnd if in similar situation. There was only grounding barely any pounding, sad

TS couldnt grapple with someone 20 lbs less than him for 5 minutes but yet you guys want him to grapple someone 40lbs heavier than him for 25 minutes??!

hahaha yaaaa right!
but the ts is also probably not a world class professional athelete, so your comparison is ridiculous. Stipe thru avg 3.5 strikes per min in rnds 2 thru 5, against an opponent who spent most that time on one knee or his back, and was dead tired. Ngannou didn't even try to get up most the time, mark hunt has better cardio ffs then both of them

This. Ngannou pushed Overeem around like he was a toy.

That wasn’t the whole fight though. Stipe has some moments where he outpunched himself in GnP. I remember one moment where he threw many body shots in a row without doing much damage, looking more and more sloppy and frustrated.

Also, he had to keep his concentration up and couldn’t blink the whole fight. Simply because he knew that Ngannou can end the fight with one punch.

Anyways, try holding down a guy that’s 80 lbs heavier than you for 60 minutes while juggling with running chainsaws and learning Chinese, then we‘ll talk again.
wtf are you going about?80lbs heavier lol

but the ts is also probably not a world class professional athelete, so your comparison is ridiculous. Stipe thru avg 3.5 strikes per min in rnds 2 thru 5, against an opponent who spent most that time on one knee or his back, and was dead tired. Ngannou didn't even try to get up most the time, mark hunt has better cardio ffs then both of them

wth r u talking about?!! the point of my post was that the ts has no idea at all how much grappling drains u. nothing more nothing less.

Back