Why des Romero have poor ground control and no sub game?

I think a lot of it has to do with his neck. After his neck surgery he probably doesn't want to be in grappling positions where the other guy could be pulling in his head. He doesn't use head pressure in the clinch either. I also think this is why he shoots high and uses Greco style takedowns when he's got some of the best freestyle credentials around

His base is freestyle wrestling. While a good base for MMA, it doesn't have the rides that folkstyle bases usually have. Which is why NCAA wrestlers dominate MMA.

Freestyle is more "on the feet" per say and folkstyle is a mix of on the feet and escapes from the bottom while your opponent tries to ride you. 1 pt is awarded for the escape.

TL;DR version : If Yoel was the equivalent in college wrestling he'd probably be a 1x or 2x NCAA D1 Champion and would be BETTER at mma because he'd be able to control people better on the ground because folkstyle translates better than freestyle.

He has monstrous GnP... look the way he violated Machida or Weidman as soon they touched the ground.

His top control is the issue. He does not play in the guard of his opponents.

And also Whittaker overall grappling is really underrated. The guy has some of the best sprawls I have ever seen.

Freestyle is about exposing your opponents back to the mat, with or without control throughout. In folkatyle you expose the opponents back but maintain control for a count. There's also scoring for controlling your opponent for over 1 minute cumulative vs their top time.

Freestyle is about exposing your opponents back to the mat, with or without control throughout. In folkatyle you expose the opponents back but maintain control for a count. There's also scoring for controlling your opponent for over 1 minute cumulative vs their top time.
<WellThere>

Back