Why des Romero have poor ground control and no sub game?

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He had Rob hurt and turtled up on the ground several times but was never able to capitalize on those episodes as he should have.

I would have thought that a wrestler with his pedigree would be able to control a rocked fighter on the ground and end the fight there either via gnp or sub. Surprisingly Whittaker was able to stand back up quite effortlessly both times as he regained full control over his body.

DOn't get me wrong, yoel has shown some nice takedowns, trips and clinch control but he never had that fight-ending strong wrestling game which could have come in handy in his last fight.

I'm not hating here, I believe Romero won the "fight" in fighting terms, on the scorecards it should have been a draw or a W for Romero

Likely doesn't train BJJ as much or as intensely as his striking and wrestling

Well in this particular fight he was tired by that point.

That said, Chael made a video about how his style of wrestling has different rules than the American style we are used to seeing. In the particular style yoel medaled in, you get points for takedowns but not necessarily for holding someone down or controlling them, according to the Portland gangster. That said, he said that wrestling style of wrestling yoel competed in is the most difficult in which to be world class because they are athletic monsters.

He doesn't like to spend a lot of time rolling around with other guys on the ground

No for gay Jesus

He is a pure freestyle wrestler. It makes sense if you know the difference between the rules

It's true that Romero does not spend too much time on the ground. He's a blackbelt in BJJ though

When youre that good of a grappler im sure you are more focused on learning other aspects of mma. Jacare is one of the best bjj guys ever and had nothing in terms of grappling for yoel.

Yoel should go train with the guys at AKA. That smothering, grinding, and smashing style that Cain, Cormier, and Khabib uses would complete Yoel's fighting style.

I think Whittaker is just difficult to control.

His sub defense looked fine against Jacare, he literally dove into his guard after being taunted.

He’s controlled fighters on the ground too, Machida and Brunson were finished violently with Romero on top.

Yoel should go train with the guys at AKA. That smothering, grinding, and smashing style that Cain, Cormier, and Khabib uses would complete Yoel's fighting style.

Not sure if Yoel would ever have the cardio for that at his age without "help"

When was his last sub attempt? Has he ever tried to put hooks in?

Too busy murkin'.

Yoel is like a sideways gat.

Didn't he control and beat the shit out of Jacare on the ground? He controlled Weidman on the ground too, iirc. From the looks of it, he doesn't need to take people down when he's knocking the fuck out of people on their feet. As for Whittaker, he's hard to control and has really good tdd. And the fact that Romero had an easier time controlling Jacare than he did Whittaker is rather telling.

Last edited:
A sub game is not needed at this point and he’s too old to start learning where he’ll be at a high level

My posts are being deleted randomly

Wtf is going on

Using the Jacare fight doesn't mean much considering he was flat out KO'd in the first round and spent the rest of the fight damaged and recovering. Even then, Romero almost let him get past.

He had Rob hurt and turtled up on the ground several times but was never able to capitalize on those episodes as he should have.

I would have thought that a wrestler with his pedigree would be able to control a rocked fighter on the ground and end the fight there either via gnp or sub. Surprisingly Whittaker was able to stand back up quite effortlessly both times as he regained full control over his body.

DOn't get me wrong, yoel has shown some nice takedowns, trips and clinch control but he never had that fight-ending strong wrestling game which could have come in handy in his last fight.

I'm not hating here, I believe Romero won the "fight" in fighting terms, on the scorecards it should have been a draw or a W for Romero
Historically, not so many wrasslers with sub game...

Back