Why aren't more Western women in STEM fields ?

People like to blame culture for gender roles without realizing that culture did not arise arbitrarily. There is a reason why we assign these specific gender roles in the first place, as they arise from biology. Men and women are simply different and we encourage these generalities.

With that said, I'm sure that there are women who were genuinely interested in things like STEM that were discouraged from pursing them, which creates an even greater disparity. I don't see the need to erase the concept of gender to lessen these disparities.

men and women are different.

the way we're treated from the second we leave the womb (literally), magnifies any inherent male/female differences, though. it would have to.

the way we're treated from the second we leave the womb (literally), magnifies any inherent male/female differences, though. it would have to.

If you equalize all things among the genders it maximizes their gender traits. This is starting to sound like the chicken or the egg kind of conversation. From all the research out there it appears that gender is not a construct.

It's increasing. Right now across civil engineering there is about 12 men for every 1 woman, and with a looming surge in retirements meaning that graduate engineers will have plenty of job openings. In my degree course the ratio was closer to 3:1 so those openings will be filled with a significantly larger proportion of women.

As to why there's less women than men? When men choose their college course, they have to choose their course with an occupation in mind for the end, whereas girls have more scope to be able to choose something more "fun" knowing that getting a "breadwinner" type job is optional. I think you'll find though that more women are choosing STEM each year.

I don't disagree. It's just not arbitrary.

Where are you getting 7-10% from?

From the article you sourced:

Women now earn about 37 percent of undergraduate STEM degrees in the United States, but their representation varies widely across those fields. Women receive more than 40 percent of undergraduate degrees in math, for example, but just 18 percent of degrees in computer science.

Women in the West today are more free than in any other time in history to be whomever they wish to be, yet they account for only about 7%-10% of those in the STEM fields. This means when given the choice, women are not taking the more difficult fields. Why do you think this is ?

https://phys.org/news/2016-10-stem-fields-women.html
https://phys.org/news/2016-10-stem-fields-women.html

Because they are not capable of it. Well my sister is a computer engineer. My cousin is married to dietician. I know plenty of female doctors, and nurses.

But all of that is only because men allow it, and paved the way for it. Women are only in Unis, and labor force because men have decided that is the wave of the future.

Don't quote me but my friend applied for masters in genetics to lead her to that field.

Only one university does that course in my state, they accept roughly 15-20 people per year. HALF are allocated to overseas students.

Not sure on the percentage of male and females applying but stating they don't give Australian citizens first preference.

Back