Why aren't more Western women in STEM fields ?

Is this a thread that wants a full, nuanced, discussion of the subject or a reductionist perspective?

There was a pretty significant bias against females in the majority STEM areas -- but that is starting to be addressed, and we will see the numbers grow over the years.

Anecdotally, the golden child of my industry in Canada is a young, cute female -- and its awesome to see her give speeches that inspire other females to follow that career path.

Is this a thread that wants a full, nuanced, discussion of the subject or a reductionist perspective?

it's open ended so add to it or say nothing - I would like to have a logical explanation as to why women don't have the numbers in STEM fields given they are more free to choose their degrees than ever before

You are seeing an increase in women in these fields.

I noticed this in my job over the years, more women engenerrs.

My engineering college had roughly 33% women, and on average they had higher GPAs than us. Plenty of women are choosing STEM degrees, and they do relatively well when they get there. I hope those numbers keep going up.

Because they're too hard, boring, and void of douche bag boys who will agree with them all day.

Mere moments ago his thread "are women not smart enough to succeed?" was dumped.
I may be paraphrasing somewhat, but still, I think there might be an ulterior motive here.

Women in the West today are more free than in any other time in history to be whomever they wish to be, yet they account for only about 7%-10% of those in the STEM fields. This means when given the choice, women are not taking the more difficult fields. Why do you think this is ?

https://phys.org/news/2016-10-stem-fields-women.html
https://phys.org/news/2016-10-stem-fields-women.html
Do you read your own sources?

The paper identifies three main aspects of that masculine culture: stereotypes of the fields that are incompatible with how many women perceive themselves, negative stereotypes about women's abilities and a dearth of role models. Those factors decrease women's interest in a field by signaling that they do not belong there, the researchers write.

A lack of pre-college experience is also a factor, the paper finds. The gender gap in STEM interest is smaller among high school seniors at schools with stronger math and science offerings, the researchers note. But courses in computer science, engineering and physics are less likely to be offered and required in U.S. high schools than courses in biology, chemistry and mathematics—leaving students with little information about what those fields are like and who might be suited for them.

Barbie and Kardashian vs tinker toys and electronics.

I think it's how you grow up.

Do you read your own sources?

none of those explain WHY. why do women have low self esteem ? why are they properly prepped during pre-college courses ?

what is stopping them from just doing what men do ?

A corollary question would be why women are inclined towards BS degrees.

none of those explain WHY. why do women have low self esteem ? why are they properly prepped during pre-college courses ?

what is stopping them from just doing what men do ?
Try reading the source again.

stemwomen.jpg

Back