Why are jiu jitsu gis so decorated?

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've never really seen anyother martial art gi/kimono with as many patches as bjj gis. Yeah, I would see acadmey patches on most other gis, but bjj gis have your academy, shoulder patches, pant patches, back pataches so on and so on. Has it always been this way?

Found this on a blog maybe it'll clear a lil up....

On Patches:

Most gis come with a fair number of patches. The standard model for gi patching is one going from the collar to each shoulder, one running down the left lapel, and one on each side of the hip.
A lot of white belts bitch and moan on online forums about how so many gis have too many patches and look like affliction shirts or hugh hefner jackets. I like the fact that people care how their gis look and that companies are responding to consumer demand for more interesting gis. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is progressive - we're not traditional martial arts and we're not judo - gis can be different colors and can have a lot of patches. Many Jiu Jitsu greats had tons of sponsorship patches on their gis for championship fights and the image of those fighters' gis has made an impression on how people imagine Jiu Jitsu to look. Having a gi with a lot of patches doesn't mean you're showing off, it doesn't mean you're challenging the people in your gym, it just reflects how we think Jiu Jitsu looks.

I prefer a GI without patches really, but then again i'm not an elite black belt with sponsors competing constantly.

Yeah, people care how their gis look, they care that there aren't ugly patches everywhere. The reason there are patches is because the gi manufacturer usually just grabs some gis wholesale and then slaps the patches on so that's the only differentiating feature between the gis.

I don't mind the patches as long as I know I'm not the only one with that many on me. I have a gamness and the original chest patch got ripped off...felt kinda naked without it

I've never really seen anyother martial art gi/kimono with as many patches as bjj gis. Yeah, I would see acadmey patches on most other gis, but bjj gis have your academy, shoulder patches, pant patches, back pataches so on and so on. Has it always been this way?

no. if you see old pics of bjj greats, they are wearing dirty blank gis.

Coming from a judo background where there was like a back patch and thats it and you had 2 choices of gi colors: bleached or natural, I like more blinged out gis. You spend a considerable time training and I think its important having something you think imparts your personal style. While I like gis that are a little flashier, I like the fact that there is variety and its generally acceptable to do whatever. Its not like a gi with a ton of patches will make your triangle better.

But that Koral Camo gi is a lil too much for me. . .

because its cool. next question?

but it isn't cool, that's what has us so puzzled. if it were actually cool it'd be easier to understand.
If you don't like it then buy a blank gi, there are plenty available with minimal patches. Others do like it so they can buy one with as many patches as they want. Is it that hard to believe that your perspective is not held by every other person in the world.

I like a nice lapel batch, maybe a back/shoulder patch... shit, if Im feeling saucy, give me a leg patch while youre at it!

If you don't like it then buy a blank gi, there are plenty available with minimal patches. Others do like it so they can buy one with as many patches as they want. Is it that hard to believe that your perspective is not held by every other person in the world.

there are hardly any available without patches. you can have isami make it without patches or embroidery, gfg can do it, same with piranhagear. other than that, there isn't really anything. by far most gis have way too many patches, and they're not even interesting, they're just plastering the brand name repeatedly. if it were a legitimately interesting design, like what adx did with their white dragon shorts there might actually be something to it, but having whatever the brand name is 5 or 6 times on patches and embroidery is just lame.

what do you consider too many?
These seem pretty simple, and far from obnoxious:
32273.jpg

1269026534.jpg

31992.jpg

a little louder, but still nice
1274741483.jpg

I am guessing you want something like
1288306040.jpg

or
30958.jpg

anyways, it IS cool to have patches. I dont care if its just the brand name, I like a little extra something. Do you only wear plain under shirts, or do you get shirts with logos/designs/words/etc on them?

bitch and moan??????? the hell why cant we want a gi that is plain? if we dont like something we dont like it... jeezz i mean do you want to wear these pair of jeans?

portrait9.jpg

Having patches per se is not a problem for me, it is the design of the actual patches that I get fussy about. Some like the Vulkan and Atama I think have great font design and cute little emblems that work really well design-wise. Others seem like an after-thought or are just too busy, not naming names. Also, as an ensemble, having lots of patches is okay but only if they all gel nicely together. I include embroidery in this equation.
Sometimes there's nothing like a good old bunch of captial letters to make a bold and classy statement!
Patches.jpg

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think that they should be just a bit bigger as not sure they stand out enough :redface:

Because people who sport them are a walking billboard whether or not if they are actually sponsored.

americans love it, & they're willing to pay for it, like they're getting something extra.that's why brazilian manufacturers jacked up their prices & moved some of the productions in pakistan or china.

americans love it, & they're willing to pay for it, like they're getting something extra.that's why brazilian manufacturers jacked up their prices & moved some of the productions in pakistan or china.

:rolleyes:

i don't mind a few patches. heck, i kinda like the koral shoulder patches on my gi's. it's the nature of the sport's evolution and also you have to think about brand marketing for the companies producing them. it's business. simply put, if the products didn't sell, the companies wouldn't make them.

don't want the gi's to become like ed hardy gi's or anything though...

Back