Why are jiu jitsu gis so decorated? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by the_Dark Knight, Nov 12, 2010.

1. trianglejitsu Blue Belt

trianglejitsu
    I'd rather an ed hardy gi than the current patched gis. at least an ed hardy would have some design into it. like the lucky gi for instance - it doesn't just have the brand name, it also has an interesting back design. it's too much for me personally, but I do still appreciate it.

2. Titanium Jaw Orange Belt

Titanium Jaw
    Im getting a breakpoint gi because I get an extra pair of pants and all for $150!

3. RandMcnally Guest

RandMcnally
    have you ever wondered why some people put stickers on their cars, same reason as why some people prefer gis with patches. something to differentiate compared to others. it's ok for me if it's classy. but if it's just tacky, never mind

4. trianglejitsu Blue Belt

trianglejitsu
    Yeah, but the patches shouldn't be there already. Nobody buys a Honda Accord with 20 Honda stickers plastered all over it. If you're going to buy some patches, like a Wanderlei Silva patch if you're a fan, a UNICEF patch because you really support them, etc. something that actually is you as an individual and the patches represent what you believe in. Nobody bloody believes in Vulkan or Dragao. If the Green Gi finally comes out, then sure, have a bunch of patches displaying how much you support environmental consciousness, but most of the gis have shit all to do with it. Gameness is about the only one with their back patch and gameness definition that comes even close to potentially representing what someone believes in and would even qualify for being an expression of individuality.

5. PeterPain Brown Belt

PeterPain
    I will always wear Jukado.

6. chino3 Purple Belt

chino3
    No, cars don't come preloaded with stickers, but they do come with badges :idea:
    I actually debadge my cars when I buy a new one, but just because I think they take away from the sleek look of a nice care

7. bubkusjones Brown Belt

bubkusjones
    Not a fan of overtly "blingy" gi, but at the same time the patch/logo-free ones look weird.

8. goga White Belt

goga
    I super-carefully removed all the patches and tapes from my koral classic.

I did this just to see if i would like it better that way.

Really, i cant say if i do or dont. Kinda neutral on it.

My point? You can always take them off (or buy a howard kombat that has next to nothing on it.

I like that in bjj, you have the choice to go plain or super bling.

Choice is good.

9. trianglejitsu Blue Belt

trianglejitsu
    You can't always take them off, embroidery is a pain to remove. I'd rather have the option to put them on. I guarantee you 99 times out of 100 the patches are so ugly that they wouldn't be attached if that were the effort required.

10. Titanium Jaw Orange Belt

Titanium Jaw
    On hondas stickers add horsepower!!!!! didnt u know?

11. SUPERGRAPPLER Purple Belt

SUPERGRAPPLER

This is crap. A lot of higher belts dislike goofy patched up gi's too.

12. JoelThomas Green Belt

JoelThomas
    This. Almost every patch I've ever come across was easy to remove with a small sharp knife.

13. Titanium Jaw Orange Belt

Titanium Jaw
    Who cares how many patches people have on there gi, some people like oranges some like apples get over it........focus on ur technique

14. Nate787 White Belt

Nate787

The person who wrote that garbage blog was pushing Breakpoint gi's that he did a review for.

15. nykayfabe Green Belt

nykayfabe
    agreed

16. Nate787 White Belt

Nate787
    How were you able to get the shoulder patches completely removed? Aren't they stitched all the way under the collar?

17. I removed the patches on a Gameness Platinum and some were stitched under the lapel.
    Had to trim the edges a bit.

I left the top shoulder stripes and the shoulder embroidered logos.
    Looks way better to me.

18. lcctjudoka White Belt

lcctjudoka
    I come from the old school mindset that a white gi represents the equality of everyone who steps on the mat. The only thing separating you from another practitioner is the color of your belt, and that only means how much time you spent practicing, not how good you are. I understand companies putting logos on their gis to differentiate themselves, but when almost every company makes their gis in Pakistan or China, there's little difference in the product. Mizuno is one of the biggest gi manufactures in the world, and they have the tiny "runbird" logo, but you can still tell it's a Mizuno. Fushida and Fuji gis are very simple in their branding, but you still know what company it is, and the embroidery is very classy and well made. Atama is also this way, even with their Mundial series (except for the tape on the bottom, which I think looks really tacky).

It all boils down to personal preference.