Who's the most iconic female singers of all-time?

Who's the most iconic female musician of all-time?

• Total voters
Someone of those on the list are popular with high sales but I wouldn't say iconic.

When I think of the word iconic it's usually used in the context of you actually transforming something like in this case lyrics, fashion, live performances, dance.

Iconic.png

List needs a rewrite.

No Billie Holiday?

No Nina SImone?

No Janice Joplin?

No Dolly Parton?

What are we even doing here?

We're going by popularity here, some of the names don't hold a candle to Madonna at her peak.

The webster definition is "a person or thing widely admired especially for having great influence or significance in a particular sphere"

You can be popular but not be musically significant or influential that was my point. Someone like Taylor who insanely popular isn't really iconic, she's kind of like Paris Hilton in the sense that she's popular for being popular (the actual music, dance, fashion, trends, lyrics are all not iconic or memorable)

The webster definition is "a person or thing widely admired especially for having great influence or significance in a particular sphere"

You can be popular but not be musically significant or influential that was my point.

We're going by popularity, that's what means of being iconic.

According to this, this is what it means.

Iconic 2.png

Iconic in music has nothing to do with dance styles, trends, popularity or sales ....it has to do with the enhancement of music as an ART FORM.
Iconic ladies chronologically: Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Patti Smith, Suzi Quatro, Joan Jett, Liz Phair, Taylor Swift.

1. Madonna
  2. Dolly
  3. Beyonce
  4. Barbara Streisand / Cher

In terms of their statuses as icons.

Barbara & Cher both symbolized the "ugly girl" with a voice of gold, the former who is Jewish and not supposed to capture the limelight of the WASP's world, the latter a hippie who wasn't supposed to ascend in the world of the suits, both of whom nonetheless became massive movie stars with cult followings among their own generation of women. Cher also captured a special LGBT goddess status later on...despite not being gay. And I can't think of a female popstar who became arguably the biggest movie star of all actresses in the world before Barbara. Even Doris Day never reached the status where Walter Matthau had to hit her with an ego check when she showed up late to work with her entourage in tow.

Beyonce is the queen of R&B. While some might argue Aretha is more iconic, she's just more historic because more time has passed, and so many documentaries have been made attempting to shine a light on her. In reality, Aretha's recording career was never close to most of these women. She only had a single #1 hit, and fourteen Top 10's as a solo artist. Given, it was a lot harder back then to chart multiple singles because of how music was consumed, but Beyonce puts out about half that many Top 10 hits with every album. Between Destiny's Child, her solo career, and her power-couple business-marriage to Jay-Z, she commands an empire that devours anything Aretha or Whitney did.

Dollywood exists for a reason. Dolly is the queen of all country stars. Her story encapsulates and defines the girl from the middle of nowhere stepping off the bus to become a big star. She transcended the genre. She is America's sweetheart of sweethearts.

Madonna was the closest thing to a female Elvis or Michael Jackson. Simple as that. The high and the low were obsessed with her. The Cosmopolitan became one of the most popular cocktails that is still frequently ordered to this day because a fucking magazine photo trended with her holding a pink drink in an martini glass, ffs.

1. Madonna
  2. Dolly
  3. Beyonce
  4. Barbara Streisand / Cher

In terms of their statuses as icons.

Barbara & Cher both symbolized the "ugly girl" with a voice of gold, the former who is Jewish and not supposed to capture the limelight of the WASP's world, the latter a hippie who wasn't supposed to ascend in the world of the suits, who nonetheless became massive movie stars with cult followings among their own generation of women. Cher also captured a special LGBT goddess status later on...despite not being gay. And I can't think of a female popstar who became arguably the biggest movie star of all actresses in the world before Barbara. Even Doris Day never reached the status where Walter Matthau had to hit her with an ego check when she showed up late to work with her entourage in tow.

Beyonce is the queen of R&B. While some might argue Aretha is more iconic, she's just more historic because more time has passed, and so many documentaries have been made attempting to shine a light on her. In reality, Aretha's recording career was never close to most of these women. She only had a single #1 hit, and fourteen Top 10's as a solo artist. Given, it was a lot harder back then to chart multiple singles because of how music was consumed, but Beyonce puts out about half that many Top 10 hits with every album. Between Destiny's Child, her solo career, and her business-marriage to Jay-Z, she commands an empire that devours anything Aretha or Whitney did.

Dollywood exists for a reason. Dolly is the queen of all country stars. Her story encapsulates and defines the girl from the middle of nowhere stepping off the bus to become a big star. She transcended the genre. She is America's sweetheart of sweethearts.

Madonna was the closest thing to a female Elvis or Michael Jackson. Simple as that. The high and the low were obsessed with her. The Cosmopolitan became one of the most popular cocktails that remains to this day because a fucking magazine photo trended with her holding a pink drink in an martini glass, ffs.

Very well said, love your thoughts on the matter.

We're going by popularity, that's what means of being iconic.

According to this, this is what it means.

View attachment 1028287

By that definition, I would say it's more than just popularity. Madonna is winning because she had the popularity, including as a sex symbol, was completely distinctive, and she defined the era of 80s pop for female artists. You instantly know one of her songs just from her sound.

I would also say people like Aretha, Billie Holiday, Dolly, Janis etc are extremely iconic. They epitomize an era, culture etc but in terms of sales or fan numbers they're probably nowhere near the top.

By that definition, I would say it's more than just popularity. Madonna is winning because she had the popularity, including as a sex symbol, was completely distinctive, and she defined the era of 80s pop for female artists. You instantly know one of her songs just from her sound.

I would also say people like Aretha, Billie Holiday, Dolly, Janis etc are extremely iconic. They epitomize an era, culture etc but in terms of sales or fan numbers they're probably nowhere near the top.

Fair enough, everyone has their own interpretation.

Where's Dolly and Reba? Having Swift and Twain from that genre without the Queens doesn't seem right.

I fucking love Reba, but she's not up there with Swift and Dolly.
She's one of the best female country singers of all time, but once you're outside that country circle, she isn't as well known. Everybody knows who Dolly is.

I fucking love Reba, but she's not up there with Swift and Dolly.
She's one of the best female country singers of all time, but once you're outside that country circle, she isn't as well known. Everybody knows who Dolly is.

Reba is known internationally, and across genre's by her first name alone. Her self titled sitcom appealed to a mainstream audience and ran 6 years.

First names that popped into my head:

1.) Madonna
2.) Dolly Parton
3.) Barbara Streisand

Aretha by a lonnnnng distance from the runner up

Nina Simone is the only legit musician on this list.

Well done, Sherdog.

The Most Popular Song Each Month since Jan. 1980
In case you missed this from YouTube comment section:

ARTISTS WITH MOST SONGS IN THE VIDEO
  • 19 SONGS = Madonna
  • 16 SONGS = Michael Jackson
  • 14 SONGS = Mariah Carey
  • 13 SONGS = Rihanna
  • 9 SONGS = Britney Spears; Eminem
  • 8 SONGS = Beyonce; Lady Gaga; Bruno Mars
  • 7 SONGS = The Black Eyed Peas; Katy Perry; Ariana Grande; Justin Bieber
  • 6 SONGS = Maroon 5
  • 5 SONGS = George Michael; Whitney Houston ;Celine Dion; Christina Aguilera; Shakira; Taylor Swift; The Weeknd; Drake
golf-clap.gif

Iconic? Madonna

But that's because of longetivity. Swift is already like the most famous person ever. 15 years from now she will be more iconic that any fool, male or female

#TeamSwift

gettyimages-1243081916-679355a528fbf1f8363b253ec581b3853c0ad890-s1100-c50.jpg

14 Grammy Awards, Incredible songwriter, decent singer, amazing human being, and conventionally attractive.

I'm a big fan, and any record she has not broken, it is inevitable that she will break it given enough time.

Tay-tay is a force to be reckoned with.

#TeamSwift

14 Grammy Awards, Incredible songwriter, decent singer, amazing human being, and conventionally attractive.

I'm a big fan, and any record she has not broken, it is inevitable that she will break it given enough time.

Tay-tay is a force to be reckoned with.

Grammy Awards in this era...lol. I'm not saying Taylor Swift is terrible but there is a significant lack of competition compared to other eras. I believe if Swift had been in the 70's, 80's or 90's she would have been middle of the road at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back