Who's the biggest popstar ever: Michael Jackson or Taylor Swift?

Who is the biggest pop star?

• Total voters
"Which popstar is the biggest weirdo?" Is the only category Prince is comparable to MJ in
are we trolling again? MJ could not play one instrument, Prince excelled on several, MJ only released 6 albums in his lifetime (as an adult solo artist) and Prince put out roughly 40 with many many more to come posthumously. Prince produced his best work alone, MJ had an entire army of musicians, producers and engineers on his. MJ came to rely on lip syncing, Prince rarely lip sang and usually only when a situation demanded it like the solid gold or bandstand performances. I could go on but I know you'll be happy to just troll, have fun.

I love both, both were genius' I just think Prince had a pretty sizable edge.

Lol wtf, there's no way it's Swift. I didn't even know she was popular until I started checking news sites more again, in 2023. I can't name a single post-2015 song of hers and can't remember hearing her on the radio.

MJ was a cultural icon for like 3 decades, with fans from multiple generations. He was known on every populated continent, from rich neighbourhoods to poor ones and from metropolises to villages. Musicians, dancers, actors and laymen across the globe tried to copy his dance moves. You could show someone going "hee hee" or a silhouette of him spinning or moonwalking and they'd recognise it. The guy was widely respected as a musician and entertainer by fans of pop, rock, r&b, hip hop, dance music and other genres. None of these things are true about Swift.
He also benefitted from being in the pre-internet age, when people had less choice of music to listen to, meaning that musical taste was less fragmented than nowadays, so stars could easily be relevant to a bigger percentage of society.

are we trolling again? MJ could not play one instrument, Prince excelled on several, MJ only released 6 albums in his lifetime (as an adult solo artist) and Prince put out roughly 40 with many many more to come posthumously. Prince produced his best work alone, MJ had an entire army of musicians, producers and engineers on his. MJ came to rely on lip syncing, Prince rarely lip sang and usually only when a situation demanded it like the solid gold or bandstand performances. I could go on but I know you'll be happy to just troll, have fun.

Come on man, the music speaks for itself. Prince's music doesn't have the staying power that MJ's music does. I rarely hear Prince on the radio, while MJ plays daily. If I did a poll comparing MJ to Prince he would wipe the floor with Prince just like he did with Taylor. And kick rocks with that 40 album nonsense, most of that shit is filler. Quality > quantity: MJ's best work eclipses Prince's best work. If I want to be fair and accurate about Prince I'll say that he had an impressive command across a wide range of instruments, so in a technical sense he was a better musician than MJ. But alas, MJ was a bigger star and put out better music. And he wrote his own shit too.

Oh, and instead of calling me a troll you might try coming up with good rebuttals. In the other post you're referring to I gave you a damn good argument for why Pacquiao could be considered the goat over Ali and instead of proving me wrong you got on your high horse and said zilch.

Come on man, the music speaks for itself. Prince's music doesn't have the staying power that MJ's music does. I rarely hear Prince on the radio, while MJ plays daily. If I did a poll comparing MJ to Prince he would wipe the floor with Prince just like he did with Taylor. And kick rocks with that 40 album nonsense, most of that shit is filler. Quality > quantity: MJ's best work eclipses Prince's best work. If I want to be fair and accurate about Prince I'll say that he had an impressive command across a wide range of instruments, so in a technical sense he was a better musician than MJ. But alas, MJ was a bigger star and put out better music. And he wrote his own shit too.

Oh, and instead of calling me a troll you might try coming up with good rebuttals. In the other post you're referring to I gave you a damn good argument for why Pacquiao could be considered the goat over Ali and instead of proving me wrong you got on your high horse and said zilch.
I'd love to but I do have things to attend to.

Swift makes a career off of being average and I’m amazed. All of her songs can be sung by any 12 year old. All of her dances can be done by any random dipshit. She’s completely manufactured to be mediocre and therefore relatable to anyone. It’s incredible

Of course you wouldn't because in your heart you know you're wrong about Prince AND Ali!
no, it just doesn't sound like a serious argument to me. I'm exhausted from trying to get in shape and a million worries, I won't entertain those arguments today, maybe if I were in a different mood.

MJ could not play one instrument, Prince excelled on several

Contrary to received wisdom, he could play instruments a bit – he’s credited as playing keyboard, synthesizer, guitar, drums and percussion on ‘HIStory’ – but none proficiently.

But just as Mozart could hear whole symphonies in his head, Jackson fully realised his songs before they were put down on paper. “The lyrics, the strings, the chords, everything comes at the moment like a gift that is put right into your head and that’s how I hear it,” said Jackson during the ‘Dangerous’ court case of 1994.

A top team of engineers and producers would work on the tracks that he brought into the studio but even they were wowed by his genius. Rob Hoffman, sound engineer, describes the process (h/t Rhythm Of The Tide):

“One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. “’Here’s the first chord, first note, second note, third note. Here’s the second chord first note, second note, third note’, etc etc. We then witnessed him giving the most heartfelt and profound vocal performance, live in the control room through an SM57,” says Hoffman.

“He would sing us an entire string arrangement, every part. Steve Porcaro once told me he witnessed MJ doing that with the string section in the room. Had it all in his head, harmony and everything. Not just little eight bar loop ideas. He would actually sing the entire arrangement into a micro-cassette recorder complete with stops and fills.”

/

Michael Jackson = musical genius

Contrary to received wisdom, he could play instruments a bit – he’s credited as playing keyboard, synthesizer, guitar, drums and percussion on ‘HIStory’ – but none proficiently.

But just as Mozart could hear whole symphonies in his head, Jackson fully realised his songs before they were put down on paper. “The lyrics, the strings, the chords, everything comes at the moment like a gift that is put right into your head and that’s how I hear it,” said Jackson during the ‘Dangerous’ court case of 1994.

A top team of engineers and producers would work on the tracks that he brought into the studio but even they were wowed by his genius. Rob Hoffman, sound engineer, describes the process (h/t Rhythm Of The Tide):

“One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. “’Here’s the first chord, first note, second note, third note. Here’s the second chord first note, second note, third note’, etc etc. We then witnessed him giving the most heartfelt and profound vocal performance, live in the control room through an SM57,” says Hoffman.

“He would sing us an entire string arrangement, every part. Steve Porcaro once told me he witnessed MJ doing that with the string section in the room. Had it all in his head, harmony and everything. Not just little eight bar loop ideas. He would actually sing the entire arrangement into a micro-cassette recorder complete with stops and fills.”

/

Michael Jackson = musical genius
Preaching to the choir. I know he was a genius, I know he could strum rudimentary chords or piddle around on piano. That in no way makes him a real instrumentalist. The two (P & MJ) really weren't that similar, it was US who pitted them together.

Great post. Prince is underaged af.

Both he and MJ were God tier performers.

They both shined in certain areas. Prince guitar skill alone was levels above any instrumental skill MJ had. But MJ had strengths as a vocalist and a performer that were unmatched also in terms of success.

Lol at even putting Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift in the same sentence.

I mean I think most people whether they love him or hate him can admit Michael Jackson was very talented and his music was pretty innovative. Taylor’s music just feels super generic and written to easily appeal to a wide demographic of young girls. I don’t think she’ll stand the test of time much, just doesn’t seem like the type of artist most people will look back on 20 years from now and awe at. Michael will always be a legend.

People knew MJ in the same way they knew backstreet boys. Everybody knew them, because you had no choice. There was no internet. Even if you hid under the glacier in the north pole, some Eskimo would come and mention MJ to you.
Today you have zillion of musical choices and in those regards, Taylor Swift is more famous than MJ.

MJ built an empire being flat broke, and coming from Gary, Indiana.Taylor Swift came from elite money, and has a great marketing campaign. Take away the money and politics, Swift doesn't even become a pop star.

There's still two days to go, things could swing

giphy.gif

Preaching to the choir. I know he was a genius, I know he could strum rudimentary chords or piddle around on piano. That in no way makes him a real instrumentalist. The two (P & MJ) really weren't that similar, it was US who pitted them together.
I agree, they were very different. Michael was for everyone, Prince was mainly for musical snobs. But alas, the comparisons were fair. They were both vying for the same territory (larger than life popstars who were also Black males). What you call an "unfair comparison" I call a mismatch: Prince got left in the dust because he wasn't on that level. There was a little tussle for a few years, but when the dust settled MJ emerged as the King of Pop, the GOAT.

The 4 who picked Taylor need a good tarring and feathering. Even if they are just trolling !!

MJ built an empire being flat broke, and coming from Gary, Indiana.Taylor Swift came from elite money, and has a great marketing campaign. Take away the money and politics, Swift doesn't even become a pop star.
And as others have said Taylor, like a lot of young stars, has social media and internet to boost them. If TS was around MJ's time I do not think she would have a fraction of the fame she enjoys now. Shit look at the stupid media attention around Swift and Kelce.

Back