Who's the most iconic female singers of all-time?

Who's the most iconic female musician of all-time?

• Total voters
Grammy Awards in this era...lol. I'm not saying Taylor Swift is terrible but there is a significant lack of competition compared to other eras. I believe if Swift had been in the 70's, 80's or 90's she would have been middle of the road at best.

She secured her first Grammy win in 2010 and has since accumulated over 400 awards across various categories and ceremonies, including 14 Grammy Awards.

Critiquing Swift's achievements based on conjecture about past eras overlooks the fact that music is a constantly evolving art form.

You're suggesting that an artist who thrived in the 1970s. 1980s and 1990s would experience the same level of success in today's music industry.

However, such assumptions overlook the dynamic nature of the music business.

I don't see Stevie Wonder, Santana, or Rod Stewart burning up the charts like they did in the 1970s.

Hey where is Def Leppard, Bon Jovi or Guns N' Roses, and Mötley Crüe who absolutely dominated the charts and award shows in the 1980s?

Shouldn't Radiohead, Beck, Nine-Inch Nails, The Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Marilyn Manson be on every music award show and winning awards like they use to in the 1990s?

All artists/bands who are still active and who dominated the charts back in their time.

And that's just it... it's not their time any more, it's passed.

I'm not saying Taylor Swift is terrible but there is a significant lack of competition compared to other eras.

That's quite a cop-out. Just admit that her music isn't your taste, and acknowledge any biases stemming from nostalgia.

It's okay to recognize if you're yearning to relive your youth through music preferences, I know I do.

She secured her first Grammy win in 2010 and has since accumulated over 400 awards across various categories and ceremonies, including 14 Grammy Awards.

Critiquing Swift's achievements based on conjecture about past eras overlooks the fact that music is a constantly evolving art form.

You're suggesting that an artist who thrived in the 1970s. 1980s and 1990s would experience the same level of success in today's music industry.

However, such assumptions overlook the dynamic nature of the music business.

I don't see Stevie Wonder, Santana, or Rod Stewart burning up the charts like they did in the 1970s.

Hey where is Def Leppard, Bon Jovi or Guns N' Roses, and Mötley Crüe who absolutely dominated the charts and award shows in the 1980s?

Shouldn't Radiohead, Beck, Nine-Inch Nails, The Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Marilyn Manson be on every music award show and winning awards like they use to in the 1990s?

All artists/bands who are still active and who dominated the charts back in their time.

And that's just it... it's not their time any more, it's passed.

That's quite a cop-out. Just admit that her music isn't your taste, and acknowledge any biases stemming from nostalgia.

It's okay to recognize if you're yearning to relive your youth through music preferences, I know I do.

Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is look at the landscape of the music industry currently for women only and tell me the level of competition is still as competitive as it was in the other eras? Swift's competition is currently Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Kacey Musgraves and Dua Lipa off of the top of my head. Time may change my perspective but right now compared to other eras the competition is significantly weaker.

For example, for women only I will isolate it to the 1985 to 1991 the competition was Whitney Houston, Sade, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Stephanie Mills and Anita Baker off the top of my head. Do I have nostalgia? Sure, but I also acknowledge that Swift is talented but when we are talking about the most iconic female musicians of all time Swift is middle of the road and I stand by that statement. I am not including any males because the question is about female musicians. If we are talking about all time then even with the list of women I listed above Swift is still middle of the road.

You can list awards and Grammy's and that's part of what makes artists important but Dolly has far less awards than Swift, but Dolly is far more iconic all time than Swift.

Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is look at the landscape of the music industry currently for women only and tell me the level of competition is still as competitive as it was in the other eras? Swift's competition is currently Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Kacey Musgraves and Dua Lipa off of the top of my head. Time may change my perspective but right now compared to other eras the competition is significantly weaker.

For example, for women only I will isolate it to the 1985 to 1991 the competition was Whitney Houston, Sade, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Stephanie Mills and Anita Baker off the top of my head. Do I have nostalgia? Sure, but I also acknowledge that Swift is talented but when we are talking about the most iconic female musicians of all time Swift is middle of the road and I stand by that statement. I am not including any males because the question is about female musicians. If we are talking about all time then even with the list of women I listed above Swift is still middle of the road.

You can list awards and Grammy's and that's part of what makes artists important but Dolly has far less awards than Swift, but Dolly is far more iconic all time than Swift.
Your argument oversimplifies the comparison between different eras. It's true that Swift's contemporaries may not be as iconic as those from previous decades, but that doesn't diminish her impact or talent.

The music industry has evolved significantly over the years, with changing trends, technologies, and audience preferences. It's unfair to directly compare Swift's competition today with that of previous eras without considering these broader contextual factors.

Furthermore, labeling Swift as "middle of the road" among female musicians overlooks her achievements and influence in contemporary music. She has broken numerous records, amassed a dedicated fan base, and continues to push boundaries with her music and activism.

Let's put things into perspective here. Dolly Parton has been a force in the music industry for over 50 years, while Taylor Swift has been on the scene since 2003. That's a significant difference in time to make an impact.

Yes, Dolly has had three decades more than Taylor to leave her mark on the industry and popular culture. But that doesn't discount Taylor's achievements or potential for future iconic status.

It's unfair to compare their legacies at this point in Taylor's career.

It's worth noting that Dolly Parton herself has praised Taylor Swift, calling her a phenomenon. That's high praise coming from a legend like Dolly. And who knows? Given Taylor's trajectory and influence, it's entirely possible that in another 30 years, she'll be regarded as an icon on par with Dolly Parton herself.

You seem determined to criticize Taylor Swift simply because it's fashionable to do so at the moment, but I'm not buying what you're trying to sell.

Once more, it's evident you're not a fan of Taylor Swift, so why not just admit it instead of trying to fabricate arguments where there are none?

Your arguments lack logical coherence and factual basis. It's evident that you're biased against Taylor Swift due to your personal dislike for her. Stop pretending to be impartial and presenting your opinions as facts.

Edit: I have nothing more to contribute to this discussion because it seems you're only interested in being argumentative without offering any substantial insights.

So, feel free to carry on the conversation, but I won't be reading or responding further.

Take care.

Last edited:
Your arguments lack logical coherence and factual basis. It's evident that you're biased against Taylor Swift due to your personal dislike for her. Stop pretending to be impartial and presenting your opinions as facts.

Relax bud. I don't see him disliking or insulting her. He even said she's talented and is just giving his opinion on the strength of different eras.

It's fine for people to have an opinion, you aren't doing anything different. "Incredible songwriter" etc are opinions that are going to create a discussion.

Relax bud. I don't see him disliking or insulting her. He even said she's talented and is just giving his opinion on the strength of different eras.

It's fine for people to have an opinion, you aren't doing anything different. "Incredible songwriter" etc are opinions that are going to create a discussion.

I didn't imply that he was insulting her; I merely pointed out that some of his comparisons lacked intellectual honesty and awareness of how the music industry operates.

I'm willing to engage in conversation, but it's clear that they're being argumentative for the sake of it. If you don't see it that way, that's fine, but considering I stated in my last post that the conversation was over, and I wouldn't be responding further to anything they had to say, (I'm saying this without even the slightest hint of disrespect) maybe you should refrain from getting involved in something that does not concern you.

Much appreciated.

Edit: I won't engage with any further comments on this matter because it's unlikely to lead to anything constructive. I'm stepping away from the conversation entirely and won't be reading or responding to any more messages.

Last edited:
I didn't imply that he was insulting her; I merely pointed out that some of his comparisons lacked intellectual honesty and awareness of how the music industry operates.

I'm willing to engage in conversation, but it's clear that they're being argumentative for the sake of it. If you don't see it that way, that's fine, but considering I stated in my last post that the conversation was over, and I wouldn't be responding further to anything they had to say, (I'm saying this without even the slightest hint of disrespect) maybe you should refrain from getting involved in something that does not concern you.

Much appreciated.

Edit: I won't engage with any further comments on this matter because it's unlikely to lead to anything constructive. I'm stepping away from the conversation entirely and won't be reading or responding to any more messages.

No worries bud, but it is an open forum. You can't really pick and choose who responds when you give your opinion lol.

It's a strange topic to feel this strongly about but it's all good. I understand there are times when it doesn't feel like having a discussion is worth it.

Back