Who would beat Golovkin at MW, past or present?

Valdez and Briscoe couldn't punch?
Meh. Bennie Briscoe. Celebrated journeyman is still a journeyman.

Valdez was no one special either. Neither guy were really special in terms of power. Pretty average.

At this moment these are the 16 guys we will have in the tournament.
I'm also thinking that we'll draw them randomly to see who fights who in the fantasy tourney or we can seed them 1 through 16.

Harry Greb
Mickey Walker
Thomas Hearns
Tiger Flowers
Tony Zale
Jake LaMotta
Ray Robinson
Chris Eubank
Dick Tiger
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Mike McCallum
Gennady Golovkin
I cant see anyone beating RJJ at his prime

I cant see anyone beating RJJ at his prime
The tourney will decide.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hagler ends up on top.
It's going to come down to the votes.
And votes are like judges so u never know.

Meh. Bennie Briscoe. Celebrated journeyman is still a journeyman.

Valdez was no one special either. Neither guy were really special in terms of power. Pretty average.
Valdez was a pretty big puncher towards the later half of his career.

Didn't really consider Cotto and Sergio. Golovkin probably beats both.
Pretty sure Sergio ducked GGG as well. Prime vs prime, it might be an interesting fight, still heavily favor GGG.

Can't see him beating Hagler, Jones Jr., or Hopkins (at least more than 7 or 8/10 times, a guy who punches like Golovkin and has his ability obviously always has a chance). Hard to see Robinson at his best losing there when we've seen a guy like Canelo box Golovkin quite well. Robinson was better than Canelo at everything imaginable. I actually really struggle to see him beating Monzon. Monzon struggled with a guy who could get inside and work there, and Golovkin can't fight on the inside. Other than that, Monzon was an excellent boxer with a huge punch, an iron chin, and great stamina over 15, let alone 12. Again, Golovkin is an excellent fighter with a great punch, so obviously he'd have a chance, but Monzon was a class better than anyone Golovkin has fought. I wouldn't give Canelo a meaningful chance against any aforementioned name (Golovkin is a better and likely a greater fighter than Canelo will ever be, but there isn't much to choose in class there), and Canelo fought Golovkin equally, even if Golovkin might have been a tad passed it.
Do you think Canelo has fatigue issues? I attributed it to going up in weight and carrying all of that extra muscle.

file_174625_35_ARCHIVE_Hagler_vs_Hearns_r-770x560.jpg

The tourney will decide.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hagler ends up on top.
It's going to come down to the votes.
And votes are like judges so u never know.
Sergio Martinez might just nick it, methinks

Roy Jones Jr.
James Toney
Michael Nunn
Mike McCallum
All beat him.
I'd take a prime GGG over Hopkins, Benn, Eubank, Watson, Hearns, Briscoe, Martinez etc...
On the fence about Monzon. I actually lean towards GGG winning.

Are you guys only remembering old Martinez? Ask PWill how good he was. He was an awkward fighter, could crack, was lineal. I think he deserves a spot. He didn’t duck golovkin, I’m going to see if I can filter any post containing ducked golovkin because that discussion is spent.

The 16 there seems reasonable to me, but there will always be names on the fringe, like Martinez. If he stays who are you bumping for Benn?

I reckon montell griffin might beat a prime rjj.

Are you guys only remembering old Martinez? Ask PWill how good he was. He was an awkward fighter, could crack, was lineal. I think he deserves a spot. He didn’t duck golovkin, I’m going to see if I can filter any post containing ducked golovkin because that discussion is spent.

The 16 there seems reasonable to me, but there will always be names on the fringe, like Martinez. If he stays who are you bumping for Benn?

We put in Eubanks and McCallum and took out Emile Griffith and Sergio.
We can put Sergio back in and drop either Tiger Flowers or Mickey Walker for him.

No matter the 16, Prime Roy Jones Jr wins the tourney no matter the seedlings. If you take him out, then it gets more interesting with different style matchups. I’d lean towards Hagler most likely.

We put in Eubanks and McCallum and took out Emile Griffith and Sergio.
We can put Sergio back in and drop either Tiger Flowers or Mickey Walker for him.
This is why you don’t ask the biggest Martinez fanboy on the forum to discuss this :)

I think he has strong reasons to be in that list, but yeah. If somehow across the ages someone put on a fight night with a joint main event of flowers Walker Griffith and Sergio, it would be the best middleweight card in ages. I don’t have a strong enough opinion, and this is the internet and for funsies, so as I’m the only person saying Martinez, go with the consensus.

No matter the 16, Prime Roy Jones Jr wins the tourney no matter the seedlings. If you take him out, then it gets more interesting with different style matchups. I’d lean towards Hagler most likely.
How many iron chinned southpaws who could also throw fire did Roy face in his prime.

Making vinny Paz look like shit is very different from standing opposite a lot of these guys.

This is why you don’t ask the biggest Martinez fanboy on the forum to discuss this :)

I think he has strong reasons to be in that list, but yeah. If somehow across the ages someone put on a fight night with a joint main event of flowers Walker Griffith and Sergio, it would be the best middleweight card in ages. I don’t have a strong enough opinion, and this is the internet and for funsies, so as I’m the only person saying Martinez, go with the consensus.
I like having Martinez in the tourney because more people will know how he fights since we have all seen him fight. Trying to gauge Flowers and Walker's talent is hard, since they fought in the 1920s.

I like having Martinez in the tourney because more people will know how he fights since we have all seen him fight. Trying to gauge Flowers and Walker's talent is hard, since they fought in the 1920s.
At some point you have to realise that you can’t exclude older fighters because of footage, but at the same time try and find an objective write up of their fights.

For example the amount of people who fought or wrote about a scrap iron Johnson fight leads me to believe he has an atg chin.

Martinez should only be on the list by merit. If everyone else is happy with Walker and Flowers, no argument from me.

Roy beat himself that fight.

Back