Who would beat Golovkin at MW, past or present?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is there any MW past or present that you would favor over GGG?

I would favor RJJ and Toney over him.

Hagler wrecks him. Jones clowns him. Toney beats him where he wants. Golovkin is too ordinary, he's not versatile enough for me to pick him over that many greats.

Jermain Taylor and Pavlik, I'd pick him against those guys.

Yeah RJJ and Toney would beat him. Sugar Ray Leonard would out box him, Hagler would out work and out brawl him. I think Hearns would be an interesting fight because GGG chin is looking pretty legendary and Hearns was vulnerable in that area. GGG might take him in an upset.

Present, sort of, I think Ward would beat him fairly readily. I think he beats everyone there is at MW currently. Well he has done so far Canelo BS result aside.

Yea I'd go with the above..

All middle weight greats wreck him. Tony RJJ and Haggler would all beat him.

More thought on it. I'd probably pick him to beat Graziano and Zale. Graziano was tailor made for a guy like Golovkin.

Carlos Monzon. I've never been so high on Monzon as a lot of people are. I think Golovkin would beat Monzon.

Lamotta, I'd pick Golovkin, I think.

The man he ducked Ward , can't see anyone beating that genius fighter

Jones and Toney are good picks - Toney was tough enough and slick enough to handle the pressure. I'd favor Hagler too. I've heard people say Monzon would destroy Golovkin but I don't buy it. I think he gets trapped enough that Golovkin wins on effective aggressive and ring generalship. Monzon's probably tough enough not to get stopped though. Hopkins is a toss up; it probably gets stopped early with Bernard holding his shoulder or something.

More thought on it. I'd probably pick him to beat Graziano and Zale. Graziano was tailor made for a guy like Golovkin.

Carlos Monzon. I've never been so high on Monzon as a lot of people are. I think Golovkin would beat Monzon.

I'm with you on Monzon. He was a good fighter but I can't recall seeing him fight someone like Golovkin (who's also on the same level as Golovkin). I think Gennady gets that decision, jabbing a lot more often than normal.

Middleweight is a great weight class with a history of incredible names.

Harry Greb
Mickey Walker
Maxie Rosenbloom
Tiger Flowers
Tony Zale
Jake LaMotta
Ray Robinson
Emile Griffith
Dick Tiger
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Sergio Martinez

That's not all of them, that's just off the top of my head. It would be real hard for someone in a conversation in any era to pick a contemporary fighter and have him match up well against all of those names.

Golovkin is a really good fighter. He was, like Hagler, wrongfully treated by the industry for years. Like Hagler, it took a smaller guy moving up to make other guys willing to fight him. There are a lot of names on that list that would beat one another. I can't guess how well any of them would do against one another with a high degree of accuracy. But I think he belongs in the conversation given that he is unified and consistently taking the best available.

Edit: I think Golovkin ends up somewhere as average to above average amongst the top of the heap in what is historically a deep division.

Last edited:

Harry Greb
Mickey Walker
Maxie Rosenbloom
Tiger Flowers
Tony Zale
Jake LaMotta
Ray Robinson
Emile Griffith
Dick Tiger
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Sergio Martinez

That's not all of them, that's just off the top of my head. It woupd be real hard for someone in a conversation in any ers to pick a contemporary fighter and have him match up well against all of those names.

Golovkin is a really good fighter. He was, like Hagler, wrongfully treated by the industry for years. Like Hagler, it took a smaller guy moving up to make other guys willing to fight him. There are a lot of names on that list that would beat one another. I can't guess how well any of them would do against one another with a high degree of accuracy. But I think he belongs in the conversation given that he is unified and consistently taking the best available.
Didn't really consider Cotto and Sergio. Golovkin probably beats both.

i agree with a few of the posts here...RJJ beats him easily. Toney too...Hagler, it'd be a war like his fight with Mugabi with Hagler getting the nod. Ward and Hopkins probably win in similar fashion

however, i don't think anyone KO's Golovkin. the only one i could see is RJJ getting a TKO from simply outboxing him

but hey...if those are the only few guys who could beat you, i'd say you've done pretty good in your boxing career.

Someone should make a 16 Rd fantasy tourney and well vote each round for the best MW ever

Can't see him beating Hagler, Jones Jr., or Hopkins (at least more than 7 or 8/10 times, a guy who punches like Golovkin and has his ability obviously always has a chance). Hard to see Robinson at his best losing there when we've seen a guy like Canelo box Golovkin quite well. Robinson was better than Canelo at everything imaginable. I actually really struggle to see him beating Monzon. Monzon struggled with a guy who could get inside and work there, and Golovkin can't fight on the inside. Other than that, Monzon was an excellent boxer with a huge punch, an iron chin, and great stamina over 15, let alone 12. Again, Golovkin is an excellent fighter with a great punch, so obviously he'd have a chance, but Monzon was a class better than anyone Golovkin has fought. I wouldn't give Canelo a meaningful chance against any aforementioned name (Golovkin is a better and likely a greater fighter than Canelo will ever be, but there isn't much to choose in class there), and Canelo fought Golovkin equally, even if Golovkin might have been a tad passed it.

I think McCallum beats him. McCallum was extremely durable and just plain better than Canelo and Jacobs while having a higher workrate and a more potent offense. Kalambay could definitely outbox him (on his day, Kalambay could outbox anyone; as much as I love a guy like Hopkins, I think Kalambay might beat him assuming both men are on their best day, unless Hopkins dug into his deep playbook and went to his pressure skillset). A guy like Nunn would be hell. James Toney would be hell, but if Toney showed up on an off-day, his workrate could hurt him. Rodrigo Valdez would be all kinds of dangerous. Hell, a guy like Bennie Briscoe, on his best day, probably beats anyone since Hopkins other than Golovkin and would give Golovkin hell. Golovkin is genuinely great, but MW is a very storied division with a ton of great fighters. There are a lot of guys who could have beaten Golovkin in history.

They all duck Golovkin. Kidding

I might favor Golovkin against some of the best middleweights of the last 20 - 25 years maybe.
Not against Hopkins, Roy Jones or Toney probably not Mike McCallum

So I guess not the best of the best, I'd have to think more on Middleweights of the past but as said it's a such a great division historically.

No way he beats Monzon. He beats Zale only due to size if you consider this era weight cuts.

Harry Greb
Mickey Walker
Maxie Rosenbloom
Tiger Flowers
Tony Zale
Jake LaMotta
Ray Robinson
Emile Griffith
Dick Tiger
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Sergio Martinez

That's not all of them, that's just off the top of my head. It woupd be real hard for someone in a conversation in any ers to pick a contemporary fighter and have him match up well against all of those names.

Edit: I think Golovkin ends up somewhere as average to above average amongst the rop of the heap in what is historically a deep division.
I find it very hard to compare him to ATG's based on basically close fights against Jacobs and Canelo. Both fights could have gone either way.

No way he beats Monzon. He beats Zale only due to size if you consider this era weight cuts.

I wouldn't say there is no way, but Monzon is actually pretty well suited to beat a guy like Golovkin.

Back