Who was the greatest Lightweight of all time?

By your logic is Weidman greater than Anderson on your all time MW list?
No I guess not. But Frankie and Penn have a closer overall resume then Weidman and Silva do. It's a tough call, but I guess a lot of Frankie's wins now are at Featherweight.

Edgar has more wins at LW, the same number of title defenses and defeated BJ 3 times.

The argument for putting BJ ahead of him is mostly based on listening to Joe Rogan's hyperbole.

One of those wins was at featherweight and one flew in the face of the way the fight was viewed by almost every media outlet, Fightmetric, Compustrike, etc.

Penn faced better competition over all and his victories were more impressive in form and fashion. Finishes over Gomi, Pulver, Uno, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez and all but one of his losses (Edgar II) were questionable, plus he avenged his loss to Pulver emphatically. I'm a huge fan of Frankie Edgar but BJ has the better resume at 155.

Why, is the true. Nick was on marijuana, and is a banned substance. Deal with it.
You make it sound like it's a p.e.d. and the reason he subbed him... everyone knows he's a pot head... not breaking news or even a surprise lol

Penn, Gomi, Aoki, Edgar.. All have legit claims at LW GOAT.

It's hard when Frankie Edgar beat B.J. Penn 3 times, even if the first fight was competitive.

The first fight wasn't just "competitive," it was outright robbery. BJ outstruck Edgar and stuffed 12 of his 13 takedown attempts; the one that got through resulted in no damage, submission attempts or significant time on the floor. Edgar beat him decisively the second time and slaughtered him the third time but that fight was at 145.

One of those wins was at featherweight and one flew in the face of the way the fight was viewed by almost every media outlet, Fightmetric, Compustrike, etc.

Penn faced better competition over all and his victories were more impressive in form and fashion. Finishes over Gomi, Pulver, Uno, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez and all but one of his losses (Edgar II) were questionable, plus he avenged his loss to Pulver emphatically. I'm a huge fan of Frankie Edgar but BJ has the better resume at 155.
Have to agree with this and I've never been a fan of Penn.

So what? The BJ lost was before his PRIDE run. When he lost to Nate, Gomi was already old and out of prime. And Nick got his face totally fucked by Gomi until the great sub. Also Nick was on Marijuana.
Weaboo

It's Gomi or Aoki IMO, Penn is the better fighter... But at Lightweight those two have a little bit more success over a sustained period of time. BJ was on a tear but he moved up and down, it detracts from the specific lightweight discussion.

ROUSEY!

Oops, my bad. I thought you said "heavyweight."

RDA is the actual greatest lightweight of all time in terms of ability. He would beat all those guys. But in terms of legacy BJ is the greatest.

BJ Penn = 3 defenses
Frankie Edgar = 3 defenses
Bendo = 3 defenses

They all had close fights with each other (except Bendo never fought Penn obviously)

Most weight classes have a clear number 1 of all time, but Lightweight never has..

So who do you think is the greatest Lightweight of all time?
I hope you aren't looking for non-biased answers. They are going to say Penn because they like him more.

RDA. The list of guys he has beaten rivals none. Cowboy X2, KOd Bendo, destroyed Pettis, Nate. Who did BJ beat? Diego sanchez, kenny, Joe Stevenson? Sherk was his only really impressive win at LW

He ran through Gomi when Gomi was considered the top lightweight in the sport and a pound for pound top 10 guy. Diego Sanchez was a great win at the time, particularly when you consider BJ stuffed every single one of his takedowns, only got hit by 7 strikes in almost 5 rounds and finished the fight. Florian and Stevenson were also good wins, Sherk was a huge win (and dominant in its execution; Sherk was nearly unstoppable at 155), Pulver, Uno and Serra were good wins too.

Dos Anjos has lots of good wins and has looked amazing of late but he also has some questionable losses. BJ only ever lost a split decision to Jens Pulver (which he avenged) and twice (one of which was a horrible decision) to the guy widely considered #2 or 3 all time in the weight class.

Aoki, Penn, and Gomi are in the top 5 or 6 for sure. Bendo and Edgar are in there. There's not a true goat at LW and you could talk about it all you want and get nowhere. Just like the LHW division was before Jones came around. You had Rampage, Chuck, Wand, and Shogun. It's impossible to come up with a true GOAT for those divisions like Aldo, GSP, Jones, Anderson, and Fedor. LW is the only division left but it's going to be a while I'm thinking. By that time there may me a new HW and MW goat. GSP is the only one I don't see getting passed up. I don't know what Jones and his career will turn out like.

Do you include the Hughes win despite being at welterweight?

RDA is the actual greatest lightweight of all time in terms of ability. He would beat all those guys. But in terms of legacy BJ is the greatest.

What evidence is there that Dos Anjos would beat Penn, Edgar, Gomi, Sherk, etc.? He has great wins over Cerrone, Pettis, Bendo and Diaz but he also has some bad losses and was until recently a fringe top 10 fighter. I don't think his style matches up well with many of the fighters in the all time great lightweight conversation. I suppose we could still see him fight Edgar at some point.

Comparing Edgar and Penn
Penn%20Edgar_zpsanqni5ko.png

Last edited:
So what? The BJ lost was before his PRIDE run. When he lost to Nate, Gomi was already old and out of prime. And Nick got his face totally fucked by Gomi until the great sub. Also Nick was on Marijuana.

weed is not a performance enhancer

What evidence is there that Dos Anjos would beat Penn, Edgar, Gomi, Sherk, etc.? He has great wins over Cerrone, Pettis, Bendo and Diaz but he also has some bad losses and was until recently a fringe top 10 fighter. I don't think his style matches up well with many of the fighters in the all time great lightweight conversation. I suppose we could still see him fight Edgar at some point.

RDA can match Penn in jiu jitsu, has far better wrestling, is physically stronger, has way better cardio and way better kicks. He would be too much for all of them. Hes like a slightly smaller but more aggressive GSP.

Back