Who was the greatest Lightweight of all time?

Takanori Gomi

gomi.jpg

/thread
penn literally destroyed Gomi when they both fought each other basically in there prime. Gomi asked penn to teach him after the fight.

Edgar has more wins at LW, the same number of title defenses and defeated BJ 3 times.

The argument for putting BJ ahead of him is mostly based on listening to Joe Rogan's hyperbole.

I cannot argue that BJ was better than Frankie looking at their careers at lightweight because there is no argument to be made there.

However, BJ inspired the imagination. He has a half dozen fights that in my opinion are better than any of Frankie's fights, save one, Frankie's insane comeback against Maynard.

I love Frankie and have nothing but respect for him, but nobody ever talked about an upcoming Frankie fight they way they talked about BJ. BJ was a superstar.

1. Edgar
2. Penn
Edgar is 15-3-1 at LW, with 6 Finishes and 3 Title wins. With 6 wins coming before entering the UFC. Edgar's best win at LW is past prime Penn.
Penn is 12-3-1 at LW, with 11 Finishes and 4 Title wins. With all wins coming in the UFC or against top competition in other orgs. Penn's best win at LW is prime Gomi.

It's hard when Frankie Edgar beat B.J. Penn 3 times, even if the first fight was competitive.

So what? The BJ lost was before his PRIDE run. When he lost to Nate, Gomi was already old and out of prime. And Nick got his face totally fucked by Gomi until the great sub. Also Nick was on Marijuana.

I don't do MMA but if I was in the gym or at BJJ against a guy my size and he was getting the better of me at no point would I be like "well he's on weed so he has an unfair advantage" like I would be if he was roided. It's not a performance enhancer to any great degree.

It's hard when Frankie Edgar beat B.J. Penn 3 times, even if the first fight was competitive.
By your logic is Weidman greater than Anderson on your all time MW list?

So what? The BJ lost was before his PRIDE run. When he lost to Nate, Gomi was already old and out of prime. And Nick got his face totally fucked by Gomi until the great sub. Also Nick was on Marijuana.[/QUOT
Are you suggesting Marijuana is a PED?

Gomi lost to Guida and Diego Sanchez too, past his prime or not, that is not GOAT material.

So what? The BJ lost was before his PRIDE run. When he lost to Nate, Gomi was already old and out of prime. And Nick got his face totally fucked by Gomi until the great sub. Also Nick was on Marijuana.
Your last sentence takes any credibility you had away... fail/

RDA. The list of guys he has beaten rivals none. Cowboy X2, KOd Bendo, destroyed Pettis, Nate. Who did BJ beat? Diego sanchez, kenny, Joe Stevenson? Sherk was his only really impressive win at LW
It's all based on past/current perspectives. The guys BJ beat were highly regarded at the time that he beat them and he destroyed them. The level of competition got better but it doesn't take anything away from the accomplishments.

Edgar is 15-3-1 at LW, with 6 Finishes and 3 Title wins. With 6 wins coming before entering the UFC. Edgar's best win at LW is past prime Penn.
Penn is 12-3-1 at LW, with 11 Finishes and 4 Title wins. With all wins coming in the UFC or against top competition in other orgs. Penn's best win at LW is prime Gomi.
Edgar has the epic comeback win against Maynard and a win against Sherk. BJ beat Sherk too of course, but then lost to Edgar.

Past his prime? Lmao 4 months after demolishing Diego oh father time what a cruel master lol

We don't know. Last I checked we still have time. When time ends then we can pick a "Greatest Of All Time". Right now we just pick "of our time"

G.O.O.T.

That list is clearly missing Gomi.

Penn, Bendo, Gomi and Edgar are all in consideration for best LW. If RDA manages to defend his belt 2 more times, including a victory over Nurma then he would also be into consideration.

Let's not forget how Gomi got ktfo by Myles Jury. Past his prime, but still went to sleep...

Back