Who played the best "mentally handicapped" role?

JGL gave a really solid performance in one of his earlier movies.. The Lookout, as a guy suffering mental health and behavioural issues after suffering severe head trauma and you know why he was so convincing... he followed the golden rule and never went full retard.

Jeremy Davis in "The million dollar hotel",and Sam Rockwell in "The green mile"(not mentally h.,but full psycho)

giphy.gif

A) Sean Penn as Sam in "I Am Sam"
B) Tom Hanks as Forrest in "Forrest Gump"
C) Leonardo DiCaprio as Arnie in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"

Not to stir a debate (ok if it does then it does) Would you consider Forrest Gump mentally handicapped or just painfully naive? He was able to lead a productive and independent life, meet historical figures, have an impact on history, AND become a self made millionaire....not exactly characteristics of someone I would consider mentally handicapped. Now if you wanna call him simple and naive I'd agree.... mentally handicapped? Hmmmm his adventures and survival skills defunk that.

Not to stir a debate (ok if it does then it does) Would you consider Forrest Gump mentally handicapped or just painfully naive? He was able to lead a productive and independent life, meet historical figures, have an impact on history, AND become a self made millionaire....not exactly characteristics of someone I would consider mentally handicapped. Now if you wanna call him simple and naive I'd agree.... mentally handicapped? Hmmmm his adventures and survival skills defunk that.
Yeah, I think Forrest had enough common sense and rationale to fend for himself. He may not have had a high IQ, but he didn't come across as mentally retarded. They put him in combat in Vietnam and gave him a M14 rifle - I don't think they do that for mentally retarded people.

Yeah, I think Forrest had enough common sense and rationale to fend for himself. He may not have had a high IQ, but he didn't come across as mentally retarded. They put him in combat in Vietnam and gave him a M14 rifle - I don't think they do that for mentally retarded people.

Yeah I don't think he was as slow as he was naive.... football scholarship, got some pu**y, changed history, and knew the difference between right and wrong...not to mention he became a self made millionaire....that's doing OK in my book

Back