Who of those guys would beat Canelo?

I recently rewatched SRL/Hearns 1, that fight had everything, both changing their styles to adapt to the ebb and flow of the bout. I suggest people rewatch these great fights to remind themselves just how special some fighters were. Both guys skillsets far surpass Canelo. And the amount picking Canelo against Hagler baffles me?
Leonard/Hearns 1 was welter in Leonard's prime. The OP asks about 160 Leonard where he had a razor close fight with a past his best Hagler and go wrecked by Camacho.

People like to remember highlight reel Hagler. Not the guy who got outboxed by Willie the Worm and Boogaloo Watts. Hagler could be outboxed and frustrated.

Yeah me too. No way Canelo beats Hagler. Canelo doesn't have enough pop to deter Hagler.
No one who beat Hagler was a huge puncher. Hagler wrecked punchers.

Canelo counter punches, he's not a volume guy. If Hagler does not respect his power then Canelos deterrent factor isn't there. He'd just be on the ropes trying to slip and roll a barrage of punches from Hagler. I don't see how he wins. He lost to GGG who he could keep at bay because of his punch power, can't see him doing that with Hagler.

Canelo counter punches, he's not a volume guy. If Hagler does not respect his power then Canelos deterrent factor isn't there. He'd just be on the ropes trying to slip and roll a barrage of punches from Hagler. I don't see how he wins. He lost to GGG who he could keep at bay because of his punch power, can't see him doing that with Hagler.
Take a look at Hagler vs Duran to see what issues boxing and countering gave him.

I don't see it being some blowout or anything. It'd be a good fight. I just think it'd look a bit like Golovkin/Canelo.

Take a look at Hagler vs Duran to see what issues boxing and countering gave him.

I don't see it being some blowout or anything. It'd be a good fight. I just think it'd look a bit like Golovkin/Canelo.
Hagler vs Duran is a good fight but Canelo isn't as good on the inside as Duran. And Hagler BEAT Duran on the inside in that fight.

I agree to an extent, I think it would look a bit like GGG Canelo except that Canelos shots would have less effect on Hagler and Hagler would be busier than GGG. A clear win for Hagler.

Last edited:

Hagler can actually fight on the inside and was an excellent body puncher, though. Hager was clearly better than Golovkin (not to mention Golovkin was likely past his best), and there is an argument to make for Golovkin beating Canelo.

I think the first sixish rounds of a Canelo/Hagler fight would be competitive. But over the long run, Hagler would wear him down and stop him late. Canelo's stamina isn't at Hagler's level, and Canelo isn't fast enough on foot to outbox Hagler over the stretch.

I think the first sixish rounds of a Canelo/Hagler fight would be competitive. But over the long run, Hagler would wear him down and stop him late. Canelo's stamina isn't at Hagler's level, and Canelo isn't fast enough on foot to outbox Hagler over the stretch.
Reasonable enough, considering Canelo's mid rounds lag.

JULIAN JACKSON : Canelo probably takes this one, he's the better boxer. Still, if he gets touched by Jackson, we could see Nelo asleep.
TERRY NORRIS : I'd pick Norris to outbox Canelo over 12. Still, people have pointed to similarities between Khan and Norris and I don't think that's entirely wrong. Norris could end up asleep, or just getting DQed. If Nelo can figure out Norris's rythm, it could be good night Terry.
MIKE McCALUM : McCallum outwits Canelo, outpointing him.
GERARD McCLELLAN : Probably beats Canelo. Prime G-man was scary.
MARVIN HAGLER : Hagler would run over Canelo in a fight that starts off competitive and ends up one-sided.
SUGAR RAY LEONARD : Tough to say since we didn't see SRL at his best. Still, i do believe there are levels to this, and SRL was several levels better than Canelo.
SIMON BROWN : Brown had an adamantium chin so I don't see a KO. He'd be soundly beaten up though, and maybe a ref would stop the fight.
CESAR CHAVES : You mean JCC? JCC wasn't a MW, he'd get killed.
THOMAS HEARNS : Hearns outboxes him from the outside, sticking and moving and using his superior reach to consistently land jabs and crosses.
ROY JONES : RJJ dominates Canelo

Hagler was in wars with guys Canelo would beat. I'm not sure why so many think he gets wrecked by Hagler.

If all fights are at 160...
JULIAN JACKSON : I’d favor Canelo to avoid getting hit with the fight ender most times. Canelo 7/10.
TERRY NORRIS : I don’t like Norris at 160. Canelo 8/10.
MIKE McCALLUM : McCallum is seriously underrated.. I’d take the body snatcher 6/10.
GERALD McCLELLAN : Gman was a juggernaut. McClellan 7/10.
MARVIN HAGLER : Canelo isn’t slick enough and can’t sustain pace to out point MMH. Hagler 9/10.
SUGAR RAY LEONARD : 160 isn’t ideal for Ray. I’d take Canelo 8/10.
SIMON BROWN : I just don’t see it for Brown. Canelo 10/10.
JULIO CEASAR CHAVEZ: At 160? Canelo 10/10.
THOMAS HEARNS : Hearns should win, but I could see his chin getting touched on occasion. Even split 5/10.
ROY JONES : Nobody beats prime RJJ. Jones 10/10.

Last edited:
It's interesting how people see Chavez out of the game for being a welterweight, but he was 5'7½ (Canelo is 5'8)

Chavez chose to keep his weight low along his career moving to welter only in his late years. But a hypothetical Chaves vs Canelo fight at superwelter (Chaves with a +15 lbs of lean mass) would not be absurd, and it would be, imo, an outstanding match.

Hagler was in wars with guys Canelo would beat. I'm not sure why so many think he gets wrecked by Hagler.

imo anybody with a bad chin is in trouble against Canelo, within 12 rounds you will eat one or two, and you have to be able to take it. Some styles match some fighters and others not, example : Alex Stewart that gave Holyfield and Foreman some trouble was destroyed by Mike Tyson, that later lost to holyfield.

I guess we are ranking him really high even though Floyd outboxed him and with GGG it was close?

I guess we are ranking him really high even though Floyd outboxed him and with GGG it was close?
Floyd is an ATG and Canello was very green. GGG holds his own with anyone on that list and beats a shit ton of them.

Not exactly embarrassing marks in Canelo’s career.

I recently rewatched SRL/Hearns 1, that fight had everything, both changing their styles to adapt to the ebb and flow of the bout. I suggest people rewatch these great fights to remind themselves just how special some fighters were. Both guys skillsets far surpass Canelo. And the amount picking Canelo against Hagler baffles me?

Hearns and Haglar are my 2 favourite (non british) boxers so Im certainly not under rating them. I probably would favour haglar just over canelo, but personally I still see hearns/haglar as close to pickem fights. I actually think people under rating Canelo.

Back